THE BROWNS BOARD

Playoff qualifications

BrownsfaninPa

How do you feel about a team that has a losing record of 8-8 or worse, and still get in the playoffs, only because they have the better record in their division. Such as the NFC South. How do you feel about the chances of a team making it in the playoffs with a record of 8-8 or worse, and a team with a record of 10-6 or 9-7 not making it in because their division record? What should be the cut off record of making it in to the playoffs, 10-6, 9-7, or 8-8?

It is possible that the NFC south champ could be 5-10-1

The Saints could go 1-4 in their last 5 games as long as the beat ATl and finish 5-11

And ATL could go 0-5 and finish 4-12

And the Bucs could go 2-3 as long as they beat Car and NO and finish 4-12

And Car could go 2-3 as long as the beat ATL and NO and finish 5-10-1 AND WIN THE DIVISION

Division winners should get in no matter their record, yes its unfair, but oh well that's the way it works and the way it should work.

When there were 30 teams in the league there were 6 divisions of 5 teams each...three in each conference. That worked really. When the league went to 32 teams that dynamic changed to even up the divisions as with 6 divisions you had 2 that had more teams than the other. Putting only 4 teams in a division was ultimately going to lead to teams with losing records winning divisions. It happened with Seattle a few years ago, and it is pretty sure to happen again this year. The NFCS still has a lot of games to play amongst itself. Perhaps one team will step up and go on a run. How about those Saints. As part of their run they can go beat the Steelers.

The playoffs should be the top 6 teams by record. The divisions should only be to simplify the scheduling process.

Just get rid of the divisions. Have 2 conferences with 16 teams. Top 6 teams in each conference get in

The schedule wouldn't be that difficult to do. Each team plays each other team from their conference once and then 1 game against a team from the other conference.

Is the system kinda messed up? Yes, of course. But, it is what it is. Win your division if you want to go. All this talk of it being unfair is a losing mentality. We need to win this fucker and not worry about anything else. Beat Cincy, Beat Baltimore and don't lose any more games and we'll be there, ready to kick some ass.

They need to redo the divisions and take Baltimore away from us soon. It's a painful reminder each and every game and we have moved on. Fuck them, give us someone else to play and if they want a piece, see them bitches in the Playoffs. What's bullshit is that for once we are doing really well and all these other fucks want to get in our way. MOOOVEEE BITCHESSS - Get the fuck out the WAAAYYY!! It's OUR turn Motherfuckers!

Of the top of your head, does anyone know what the best record to not make the nfl playoffs is?

11-5 i believe since there have been 16 games. I know it happened to the broncos in the 80s and could have happened to the cards last year if they won their last one (they would have had a chance at 11-5 but not a clinch I think)

I think 7-9 is the worse to make it, but don't quote me on it (3-13 is worst possible to win a division if you split with your division mates)

11-5 i believe since there have been 16 games. I know it happened to the broncos in the 80s and could have happened to the cards last year if they won their last one (they would have had a chance at 11-5 but not a clinch I think)

I think 7-9 is the worse to make it, but don't quote me on it (3-13 is worst possible to win a division if you split with your division mates)

The Pats the year Matt Cassell took over for Brady when he was hurt went 11-5 and missed the playoffs.

Teams with very good records would miss the playoffs in the pre Super Bowl days because only two teams made the playoffs. (but they didn't have 16 games to play)

I realize this topic might set some fans on fire, but to me, its all about being logical. To me, if a team has a winning record of 9-7 or better, that team should be eligable for a playoff spot, unless there is other teams with more confrence wins. Now then, being that the NFC South division has all losing records, who ever has the best record in that division, will be that division champs, nothing else. If other teams in that Conf. has a better record than you, then they should be eligable more than you. Just because you have the best record in your division, shouldnt grant you a playoff spot over a team that has a better record than you.

The name of the game folks is plain and simple. Just win games. Dont favor a team over a team with a better record.

Doing it your way does introduce a lot of schedule bias though - for example, the AFC north is 10-1-1 against the NFC South, so we get nice stat-padding wins there, whereas other divisions are a lot more even.

I'm not saying the current system is perfect, but it's the one we have, and unless you want to do it fairly by, say, merging divisions in to 4 8-team groups and then having everyone play everyone within their own division, then the top two teams from each going through, you might as well stick with the current system.

After the Browns were eliminated in 2007 at 10-6, I thought they changed the rules that year. The Titans went to the playoffs at 9-7 because the Colts didn't play Manning the last game. What happened to the rule change? Or maybe I'm mistaken.

After the Browns were eliminated in 2007 at 10-6, I thought they changed the rules that year. The Titans went to the playoffs at 9-7 because the Colts didn't play Manning the last game. What happened to the rule change? Or maybe I'm mistaken.

The Titans were 10-6 as well, won the tiebreaker vs. us that year. I still hate Tony Dungy for that, resting his starters. I was happy they got bounced at home in their divisional playoff that season.

They never changed the rules. I think Gipper mentioned this (in another thread) is the product of eight divisions with 4 teams- it's possible for a losing team to emerge as a division champion once in awhile.

The AFC North "cellar dweller" may be 10-6 this season, crazy.

How do you feel about a team that has a losing record of 8-8 or worse, and still get in the playoffs, only because they have the better record in their division. Such as the NFC South. How do you feel about the chances of a team making it in the playoffs with a record of 8-8 or worse, and a team with a record of 10-6 or 9-7 not making it in because their division record? What should be the cut off record of making it in to the playoffs, 10-6, 9-7, or 8-8?

It really doesn't matter how I feel. Win your division, you are in, the record doesn't matter.

It is what it is.

Dumb idea, you would lose all the divison rivalries. It makes the game more intersting. Any given sunday and all that. Be realistic. So what if a suck team makes it in the playoffs.

Keep current system

Division rivalries rock

Top six would suck balls

Dumb idea, you would lose all the divison rivalries. It makes the game more intersting. Any given sunday and all that. Be realistic. So what if a suck team makes it in the playoffs.

Keep current system

Division rivalries rock

Top six would suck balls

Maybe between division winners 3,4 and wild cards 1,2 home field should be based on record, then the usual tie breakers after that. But I agree division winners should be in regardless. It never works to our advantage because of how tough our division is, but maybe some day it will.

True. And on the flip side wouldn't it suck donkey balls to go 13-3 and miss the playoffs?

Division winners should get in no matter their record, yes its unfair, but oh well that's the way it works and the way it should work.

Agree...

As for hosting a First Round game???

No, treat any team at or under .500 as a WC team and seed the teams from the get-go instead of beginning in Rnd 2. Don't reward a .500 or under team with home field...

Agree...

As for hosting a First Round game???

No, treat any team at or under .500 as a WC team and seed the teams from the get-go instead of beginning in Rnd 2. Don't reward a .500 or under team with home field...

Exactly. Freddie Colman on ESPN radio has been beating this drum for a couple of weeks, & I totally agree. I'll be charitable and say the Saints or Falcons finish at 7-9, though I think 6-10 is more likely. They get to host a team like the Seahawks or Lions because they won their crappy division this year? I think the NFC South is currently so bad, they're going to be forced to change the rules. LOL Atlanta still hasn't beat a team outside of their division, and I'm betting the Saints are going to go oh-fer against the AFC North. Tampa at 2-9 isn't even mathematically eliminated yet- how sad is that? You win your division at or under .500, I'll still give you the 4th seed, but you play the wild card team with the best record on the road. .

Here is the history from 1933 the year of the first playoff game until 1969, the year before the merger. The following teams with records of .750 or better did NOT make the playoffs those years:

1934 Lions 10-3 .769

1936 Bears 9-3 .750

1939 Redskins 8-2-1 .800

1942 Packers 8-2-1 .800

1943 Packers 7-2-1 .778

1944 Eagles 7-1-2 .875

1948 Bears 10-2 .750

1949 Bears 9-3 .750

1951 Giants 9-2-1 .818

1953 49ers 9-3 .750

1956 Lions 9-3 .750

1962 Lions 11-3 .786

1963 Packers 11-2-1 .846

1964 Cardinals 9-3-2 .750

1967 Colts 11-1-2 .917.....maybe the best team to never make playoffs

1968 Rams 10-3-1 .769

Further information:

From 1970 to 1977 the NFL played a 14 game schedule. There were 3 divisions in each conference and one wildcard got in the playoffs. A total of 8 playoff teams. The following teams had the best record during those years but failed to make the playoffs despite going 10-4 for a .714 record:

1975 Dolphins

1975 Oilers

1976 Bengals

1976 Cardinals

1977 Dolphins

In 1978 the league expanded to a 16 game season. With that they also expanded the playoffs to take 5 teams from each conference for a total of 10 playoff teams. So from 1978 to 1990 when the playoffs were expanded again to take in 12 teams, one team had an 11-5 record and failed to earn a playoff spot:

1985 Denver Broncos 11-5 .688 win pct.

In addition, from 1978 to 1990 ten (10) teams had a 10-6 record and failed to make the playoffs (almost one per year)

In 1990 the league went from 10 playoff teams to 12. Since that time only one team had an 11-5 record that failed to make the playoffs:

2008 New England Patriots 11-5 .688

In addition 9 teams have gone 10-6 and failed to make the playoffs including the 2007 Browns. The last one was the 2013 Arizona Cardinals.

Note that there were 10 10-6 teams that failed to make it in the 12 years from 1978-1990, but only 9 teams with that record have failed to make it in the 23 years since 1990.

From 1933 until 1978 no team in the NFL that did not have a record of at least 2 games above .500 ever made a postseason appearance. But since then there have been a few, and here they are, the teams with the worst records ever to make the playoffs:

1978 Vikings 8-7-1

1982 Browns 4-5...strike year where they included 16 teams in the playoff

1982 Lions 4-5.....same as above

1985 Browns 8-8....first .500 team to make playoffs in non-strike year

1987 Vikings 8-7-1

1990 Saints 8-8

1991 Jets 8-8

1999 Lions 8-8

1999 Cowboys 8-8

2004 Vikings 8-8

2004 Rams 8-8

2008 Chargers 8-8

2010 Seahawks 7-9...first sub .500 team to make playoffs in non-strike year

2011 Rams 8-8

2013 Packers 8-7-1

This year it seems like we may be guaranteed to have another sub .500 team in with the situation in the NFCS.

Archived