THE BROWNS BOARD

Ravens looking moderately good

BrownsfaninPa

don't expect it to repeat over and over. But, forgive me if I like our odds. If you guys had a better quarterback I'd be far more concerned because an argument can be made the Browns are as good or a better of a team than the Ravens overall, but at the most important position in playoff atmosphere games I'm trusting in a proven commodity, where as the Browns are riding the up and down play of a NFL Journeyman.

Well, so far this year they have the exact same record....and I don't think his play has been any more up and down that what you have had.

And Hoyer has been a backup for Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger, established Super Bowl winning veteran QBs who....OK, he did not beat out for the starting job for those teams. If Flacco were in his same position, he too would be a backup to those two guys.

Gip, that's a terrible argument because 95% of qbs would not beat out either of those for starting position, but doesn't mean anything in terms of evaluating and comparing Joe and Brian.

Gip, that's a terrible argument because 95% of qbs would not beat out either of those for starting position, but doesn't mean anything in terms of evaluating and comparing Joe and Brian.

No, its a very good argument....because you said he was a journeyman QB. He was a journeyman in the sense that he has been under contract with several teams. But he was a backup to 2 Hall of Fame caliber QBs. He could possibly be among the best 10-15% of QBS playing the game today, and he still would not have beat them out.

And that comparison is valid to Flacco as well. If Flacco had been on those same teams, he too would not beat out Brady and Roethlisberger. Do you want to argue that? So to that extent, the comparison is apt.

And here is another comparison....which may or may not be apt. But it is what it is:

Flacco win pct.: .635 (in 107 games)

Hoyer win pct.: .714 (in 14 games)

No, its a very good argument....because you said he was a journeyman QB. He was a journeyman in the sense that he has been under contract with several teams. But he was a backup to 2 Hall of Fame caliber QBs. He could possibly be among the best 10-15% of QBS playing the game today, and he still would not have beat them out.

And that comparison is valid to Flacco as well. If Flacco had been on those same teams, he too would not beat out Brady and Roethlisberger. Do you want to argue that? So to that extent, the comparison is apt.

And here is another comparison....which may or may not be apt. But it is what it is:

Flacco win pct.: .635 (in 107 games)

Hoyer win pct.: .714 (in 14 games)

You imply that labeling him as a journeyman qb is the only argument I've presented for why Flacco is better than Hoyer...which is false.

Flacco is much more accurate than Hoyer. Especially on deep passes. Now Flacco isn't as good on the deep ball as many claim him to be, but he's easily top 10 in deep throw accuracy. He excels on sideline passes, he throws a 10 yard and 15 yard deep comeback route as good as anyone (except Peyton who is downright lethal with them). He's also underrated at throwing the back shoulder fade, and his accuracy down the middle of the field while not elite is certainly above or at par.

Hoyer is good at short outside routes, average on crossing patterns and mediocre to putrid half the time going down the middle or deep down the field. His mechanics are very sloppy.

So the only thing they have in common this year and forever is their record

Hoyer would be a backup on 90% of all teams, Flacco is only a backup for HOF qbs, which is far from a knock

You imply that labeling him as a journeyman qb is the only argument I've presented for why Flacco is better than Hoyer...which is false.

I didn't imply that at all....you invented that bullshit all on your own. YOU are the one that implied that Hoyer is no good because he is a "journeyman". There have been a few "journeymen" QBs that have won SBs......Doug Williams, Brad Johnson, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Len Dawson, Kurt Warner, Drew Brees, Jim Plunkett, and maybe others. I never even claimed that Hoyer is better than Flacco....I only gave stats that show he has a better career win pct. I think Flacco probably is better. I said Flacco is not better than BR and Brady.

Now go play some more fantasy football with yourself.

Flacco is much more accurate than Hoyer. Especially on deep passes. Now Flacco isn't as good on the deep ball as many claim him to be, but he's easily top 10 in deep throw accuracy. He excels on sideline passes, he throws a 10 yard and 15 yard deep comeback route as good as anyone (except Peyton who is downright lethal with them). He's also underrated at throwing the back shoulder fade, and his accuracy down the middle of the field while not elite is certainly above or at par.

Hoyer is good at short outside routes, average on crossing patterns and mediocre to putrid half the time going down the middle or deep down the field. His mechanics are very sloppy.

the knee injury may be a factor there still.

Hoyer would be a backup on 90% of all teams, Flacco is only a backup for HOF qbs, which is far from a knock. Except, of course Hoyer was a backup for those HOFers. And when he got his chance to play, he has won.

I think right now that Hoyer is probably better than half the QBs playing. And he could possibly perform...that is win....better than a lot of the QBs that are supposed to be better than him.

(let's see, he has beaten BR, Brees, Matt Ryan, Andy Dalton, all supposedly better)

I didn't imply that at all....you invented that bullshit all on your own. YOU are the one that implied that Hoyer is no good because he is a "journeyman". There have been a few "journeymen" QBs that have won SBs......Doug Williams, Brad Johnson, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Len Dawson, Kurt Warner, Drew Brees, Jim Plunkett, and maybe others. I never even claimed that Hoyer is better than Flacco....I only gave stats that show he has a better career win pct. I think Flacco probably is better. I said Flacco is not better than BR and Brady.

Now go play some more fantasy football with yourself.

I'm well aware of that , see Trent Dilfer. Hoyer could find himself with a ring come Feb for all we know. I didn't mean to imply Hoyer is no good, I've defended him a lot on these forums as a more than serviceable qb, probably top 15. He's tough as nails and he's pretty clutch, usually careful with the ball and doesn't lose you many games. But all phases gotta be working well for Hoyer to succeed, and it the particular matchup us him against our front seven I see Hoyer struggling. Hoyer sort of reminds me of a Chad Pennington or Kurt Warner, though not nearly as accurate as those two. My only beef is with people acting like they're gonna come rolling into Baltimore and just hand us a loss. They might win but they're gonns have to pry it out of our cold dead hands.

the knee injury may be a factor there still.

Flacco too had a knee injury not too long ago. Wonder if that's still a factor.

Hoyer would be a backup on 90% of all teams, Flacco is only a backup for HOF qbs, which is far from a knock. Except, of course Hoyer was a backup for those HOFers. And when he got his chance to play, he has won.

I think right now that Hoyer is probably better than half the QBs playing. And he could possibly perform...that is win....better than a lot of the QBs that are supposed to be better than him.

(let's see, he has beaten BR, Brees, Matt Ryan, Andy Dalton, all supposedly better)

I agree with this.

I'd take him over Dalton any Sunday. Maybe even Matt Ryan though it's a tougher sell. Dude's scrappy as hell.

I'm well aware of that , see Trent Dilfer. Hoyer could find himself with a ring come Feb for all we know. I didn't mean to imply Hoyer is no good, I've defended him a lot on these forums as a more than serviceable qb, probably top 15. He's tough as nails and he's pretty clutch, usually careful with the ball and doesn't lose you many games. But all phases gotta be working well for Hoyer to succeed,

That is clearly not true if you have seen the Browns games since Mack went down. The run game has been atrocious at times, special teams have contributed nothing, yet the Browns still have won.

and it the particular matchup us him against our front seven I see Hoyer struggling. Hoyer sort of reminds me of a Chad Pennington or Kurt Warner, though not nearly as accurate as those two. My only beef is with people acting like they're gonna come rolling into Baltimore and just hand us a loss. They might win but they're gonns have to pry it out of our cold dead hands.

I am not one that said the Browns would come in and roll....it is way to premature to even think about that game. It may have no meaning or it may have all the meaning in the world, there are too many games in between to worry about.

And you sir, are not Charlton Heston. :blush:

I'm well aware of that , see Trent Dilfer. Hoyer could find himself with a ring come Feb for all we know. I didn't mean to imply Hoyer is no good, I've defended him a lot on these forums as a more than serviceable qb, probably top 15. He's tough as nails and he's pretty clutch, usually careful with the ball and doesn't lose you many games. But all phases gotta be working well for Hoyer to succeed,

That is clearly not true if you have seen the Browns games since Mack went down. The run game has been atrocious at times, special teams have contributed nothing, yet the Browns still have won.

and it the particular matchup us him against our front seven I see Hoyer struggling. Hoyer sort of reminds me of a Chad Pennington or Kurt Warner, though not nearly as accurate as those two. My only beef is with people acting like they're gonna come rolling into Baltimore and just hand us a loss. They might win but they're gonns have to pry it out of our cold dead hands.

I am not one that said the Browns would come in and roll....it is way to premature to even think about that game. It may have no meaning or it may have all the meaning in the world, there are too many games in between to worry about.

And you sir, are not Charlton Heston. :blush:

Yes but the defense has been stellar, keeping you guys in most of your games. Also great receivers turning lots of little short passes into big gains.

It's gonna have plenty of meaning, even if not for us directly, for the wildcard picture for other teams I'm sure it'll have an effect.

I'd assume I wasn't otherwise I'd have kicked the can 6 years ago.

Yes but the defense has been stellar, keeping you guys in most of your games. Also great receivers turning lots of little short passes into big gains.

It's gonna have plenty of meaning, even if not for us directly, for the wildcard picture for other teams I'm sure it'll have an effect.

Well, if both the Browns and Ravens lose all their games before that one, it will likely have little meaning. I am sure you are right though...there are lke 9 teams vying for 4 playoff spots....so it will have some meaning to someone.

So, instead of PurplePantyWaste, Z can change your name to "Soylent Purple".

Well, if both the Browns and Ravens lose all their games before that one, it will likely have little meaning. I am sure you are right though...there are lke 9 teams vying for 4 playoff spots....so it will have some meaning to someone.

So, instead of PurplePantyWaste, Z can change your name to "Soylent Purple".

A drink made out Ravens fans?

Though it's less demeaning then Purpe Panty Waste, I think my odds of getting my original name back or any less embarrassing names are slim. I simply choose to look at the name as a term of endearment.

Soylent Green was not a drink, it was food. Soylent Purple could be food made of Ravens and Vikings and Magics fans.

Though it's less demeaning then Purpe Panty Waste, I think my odds of getting my original name back or any less embarrassing names are slim. I simply choose to look at the name as a term of endearment.

I will try to exert what influence I can......come on Z.....call this guy Soylent Purple......or do you view that as not sufficiently derogatory?

Soylent Green was not a drink, it was food. Soylent Purple could be food made of Ravens and Vikings and Magics fans.

I will try to exert what influence I can......come on Z.....call this guy Soylent Purple......or do you view that as not sufficiently derogatory?

I know, but Soylent Purple is the nutritious drink that goes with your Soylant green.

Haha, I would have to make an avatar to go with that if he does change it.

Archived