THE BROWNS BOARD

Shanahan

LondonBrown

Same knocks on Shanny that we heard in DC. Gets away from the run when it starts working.

Also, possibly concerned about over working a rookie RB.

Hes got west and crow..no overwork

He got cute in the red zone yesterday.

A smash mouth drive build from running. Then, 1st down on the 6. Pass pass pass fg. Ugh.

Was just terrible play calling, hoping Pettine kicks his ass today at Berea.

He loves passes in run situations especially the red zone. I think the idea is to throw the defense off guard, but when you do it everytime, that plan goes out the window.

Exactly this, they're expecting run so we will go PA......every time.

Wow, I dont log in often. Had to for this nonsense.

Its things like this that make me think this board knows very little about football sometimes.

Shanny calls the play action because this team CANNOT run with 8 in the box(think pat shurmur when he just pounded it for a half a yard). Were not set up for that. We had more options when Mack was here. We simply arent overpowering teams anymore. Hes really putting opposing defenses in 50/50 mixups creating alot of hesitation (watch any play action- Brian has all day to throw). Hes got the best browns offense since 99 (sans the DA anamoly)... with no top playmakers. Hes doing AMAZING week in and week out.

If Shanny ever gets a qb (btw look what he did with RG3) watch the hell out. Hes going to lead the scariest offense in the league.

Edit: To make my point clearer. No Nfl team just says "hell, were on the 6... lets run it". Not only that but were top ten in red zone efficiency.

Hoyer simply needs to throw one in the stsnds on that play. Brady, Brees, Wilson, etc 99% will calmly throw it away. Brain forced it, paid the price.

What a brilliant way to start a post, cumfart.

We had them on their heels that whole drive, and we were running. We were looking to kill clock. We had a lead in the fourth quarter and we were in the red zone, run the fucking ball. They could not stop Crowell from getting in there from six yards, or West. Even if they did stop them, we would have eaten at least 2 minutes of the last quarter.

Are you Kyle?

I think Kyle is a decent O coach, but his problem is he is trying to get too cute. Maybe daddy issues.

Don't be a douch.

no one said you had to run up the middle. just friggin run the ball. their defense just got rocked by a 20+ yard run so who's to think they could stop you at the 6? cost us 11 points. the one drive with the int. and the one which ended in a field goal. if the browns had those points on the board i think the confidence would have been powerful enough to have won by 2 tds.

no one said you had to run up the middle. just friggin run the ball. their defense just got rocked by a 20+ yard run so who's to think they could stop you at the 6? cost us 11 points. the one drive with the int. and the one which ended in a field goal. if the browns had those points on the board i think the confidence would have been powerful enough to have won by 2 tds.

This is how you win games, and beat teams you're supposed to beat.

Shanny's O is built on two pillars... the run and the PAP. You use both... everywhere. The fact that we "had been running so well" only enhances the PAP's chances of success. It's on the QB to ensure that the worst outcome of a PAP call is an incompletion.

Shanny calls the play action because this team CANNOT run with 8 in the box(think pat shurmur when he just pounded it for a half a yard). Were not set up for that. We had more options when Mack was here. We simply arent overpowering teams anymore. Hes really putting opposing defenses in 50/50 mixups creating alot of hesitation (watch any play action- Brian has all day to throw). Hes got the best browns offense since 99 (sans the DA anamoly)... with no top playmakers. Hes doing AMAZING week in and week out.

Premise is wrong as we run against 8-man fronts all the time and do fairly well, but the rest is pretty much on the mark.

Since I coach for a living, I tend to watch any sport a little differently than most people. I'm a big % guy. For example, it's 4th and 5 from the 37yd line with 15 seconds left and 1 time out, and we're down 2. Do I go for it, or send out my kicker? It all depends on my teams strengths, for not only the season, but also for the game flow. Is my QB off today? Has my kicker struggled today? Is it windy today? ect.. I don't like either option, but I've got to go with the one that I think gives my team the best chance to win.

In yesterday's game, Hoyer was clearly off and the running game was clearly on. Not one because of the other, it was just the way the game was flowing. So, do I want to give the guy who is struggling more chances, or give the guys who are killing it more chances? Easy question, with a super easy answer for me.

No, I'm not saying I would've run the ball every snap for the rest of the day, of course not. However, if I were calling plays yesterday, Hoyer ends the game with around 28 attempts and the RBs combined would've been in the high 40s, low 50s with Crow having the bulk of the work 27-30ish.....It's not rocket science, and it sure as hell ain't Madden.

Shanny's O is built on two pillars... the run and the PAP. You use both... everywhere. The fact that we "had been running so well" only enhances the PAP's chances of success. It's on the QB to ensure that the worst outcome of a PAP call is an incompletion.

as a coach you also have to learn to be flexible and understand that when something is working you keep at it until they stop you, if they can.

Since I coach for a living, I tend to watch any sport a little differently than most people. I'm a big % guy. For example, it's 4th and 5 from the 37yd line with 15 seconds left and 1 time out, and we're down 2. Do I go for it, or send out my kicker? It all depends on my teams strengths, for not only the season, but also for the game flow. Is my QB off today? Has my kicker struggled today? Is it windy today? ect.. I don't like either option, but I've got to go with the one that I think gives my team the best chance to win.

In yesterday's game, Hoyer was clearly off and the running game was clearly on. Not one because of the other, it was just the way the game was flowing. So, do I want to give the guy who is struggling more chances, or give the guys who are killing it more chances? Easy question, with a super easy answer for me.

No, I'm not saying I would've run the ball every snap for the rest of the day, of course not. However, if I were calling plays yesterday, Hoyer ends the game with around 28 attempts and the RBs combined would've been in the high 40s, low 50s with Crow having the bulk of the work 27-30ish.....It's not rocket science, and it sure as hell ain't Madden.

^^this.

as a coach you also have to learn to be flexible and understand that when something is working you keep at it until they stop you, if they can.

Great idea... in a game you are dominating on the scoreboard. And was exactly what we did in Cinci.

Yesterday was a close game that had all the earmarks of a shootout. In a shootout, I use my entire Offense.

Eh, I look at football from a very, very simple standpoint. You run something until they prove they can stop it or beat you against it on defense. The Browns on that particular drive were dominating the line of scrimmage, hell pretty much the whole game they were. There's no reason to get fancy when you have a simple scheme that works, period. Not much you can say will ever make me think differently.

Eh, I look at football from a very, very simple standpoint. You run something until they prove they can stop it or beat you against it on defense. The Browns on that particular drive were dominating the line of scrimmage, hell pretty much the whole game they were. There's no reason to get fancy when you have a simple scheme that works, period. Not much you can say will ever make me think differently.

Yep, not to mention had we of run more, we would've shortened the game even further, taking a minimum of 1, if not 2 offensive possessions away from ATL. Expected offensive possession vs score (for both teams) has to be of maximum consideration as the 4th qtr ticks away.

The Browns should've scored 36 points yesterday based on Shanahan's horrible play calling. This is just more of the excusing Hoyer's bad play and quite frankly he doesn't seem to want it. With solid play from Hoyer that game would've been out of reach and even he knows that. This team is averaging 22 pts a game with an average guy at QB. I'm not going Stockton on Hoyer but he is what he is and to put that on Shanahan is wrong.

The Browns should've scored 36 points yesterday based on Shanahan's horrible play calling. This is just more of the excusing Hoyer's bad play and quite frankly he doesn't seem to want it. With solid play from Hoyer that game would've been out of reach and even he knows that. This team is averaging 22 pts a game with an average guy at QB. I'm not going Stockton on Hoyer but he is what he is and to put that on Shanahan is wrong.

Why can't both be bad? (Hint: Both WERE bad).

Luckily we got the W and everybody got another week of experience. Hoyer sucked, seemed pretty emotional about how he let his team down...but he still has the trust of the locker room, and 100% trust from the big man Joe Thomas himself. So Hoyer lives to die another day.

It's almost all negativity around here...we're 7-4 not 4-7 peeps.

Why can't both be bad? (Hint: Both WERE bad).

Luckily we got the W and everybody got another week of experience. Hoyer sucked, seemed pretty emotional about how he let his team down...but he still has the trust of the locker room, and 100% trust from the big man Joe Thomas himself. So Hoyer lives to die another day.

It's almost all negativity around here...we're 7-4 not 4-7 peeps.

If 36 points is bad I think we have really over valued the talent on this team. While I agree we are skewing a bit negative, it's nice to have standards. The Browns are 7-4 but have beaten some really bad teams and not convincingly.

If we are going to blame anyone lets blame Spencer Lanning. He threw a terrible interception late in the 4th quarter, ran into Gipson and injured his knee, and singlehandedly almost gave Atlanta the game.

If 36 points is bad I think we have really over valued the talent on this team. While I agree we are skewing a bit negative, it's nice to have standards. The Browns are 7-4 but have beaten some really bad teams and not convincingly.

I don't know where the hypothetical 36 points came from :P. Maybe if Shanahan called more run plays, especially 1st & goal at the 6 YD line we would have had more. It goes both ways, Shanahan tried to get funny when he should have pounded it more. Hoyer made some bad decisions (which isn't what he usually does), which caused 2 big time interceptions. The other one was caused by a poor throw not necessarily a bad decision, but it did lead to ATL points off TO.

But this...

The Browns are 7-4 but have beaten some really bad teams and not convincingly.

If you told me in July that the browns would be 7-4 come thanksgiving, I wouldn't even let you get to the part about the wins not being "convincing" enough.

Also, they were quite convincing against the stoolers and bungholes, which is like the cherry on top of 7-4 IMO ;)

Lets hope Hoyer gets in form and we roll over the bills to 8-4 (Let's just get to 8-4, even if it isn't convincing).

I don't know where the hypothetical 36 points came from :P. Maybe if Shanahan called more run plays, especially 1st & goal at the 6 YD line we would have had more. It goes both ways, Shanahan tried to get funny when he should have pounded it more. Hoyer made some bad decisions (which isn't what he usually does), which caused 2 big time interceptions. The other one was caused by a poor throw not necessarily a bad decision, but it did lead to ATL points off TO.

But this...

The Browns are 7-4 but have beaten some really bad teams and not convincingly.

If you told me in July that the browns would be 7-4 come thanksgiving, I wouldn't even let you get to the part about the wins not being "convincing" enough.

Also, they were quite convincing against the stoolers and bungholes, which is like the cherry on top of 7-4 IMO ;)

Lets hope Hoyer gets in form and we roll over the bills to 8-4 (Let's just get to 8-4, even if it isn't convincing).

Austin dropped a sure TD and had Hoyer not forced it in the back of the end zone at least a FG

My main headache came on Hoyer's 2nd INT and, with the acknowledgment it could've been an audible, getting to 1st and goal at the 6 and not sticking with running right down Atlanta's throat.

We're up 23-14, Atlanta puts a long drive together for a TD. We're putting a clock-eating drive together, at about 5 minutes and counting, with Crowell and West gashing the Falcons even though they knew what was coming. Shanny "got cute" and Hoyer made the worst possible play and gives Atlanta a chance it never should've had. Even for all the other struggles, it should've been 30-21 with about 4:00.

(For stat nerds, also, Hoyer ends the day with 1 INT, saving so much angst.)

... getting to 1st and goal at the 6 and not sticking with running right down Atlanta's throat... Shanny "got cute" and Hoyer made the worst possible play and gives Atlanta a chance it never should've had.

Core plays, like PAP bootlegs, are not "cute"...

End around reverses are "cute".

Flea-flickers are "cute".

Hook and Laterals are "cute".

It's called "Shanahanigans"!! In the end, I'm glad he's in Cleveland.

Best offensive coordinator we've had since Lindy Infante. We're 7-4, in the thick of it. As fans, we get way to critical- folks we don't have the talent of NE, GB, Or Den.

The Browns are averaging 22 points a game with an inconsistent QB, 2 rookie RBs, WRs who are castoffs, their main TE out most of the season (and center Mack).

Also, I don't know how much freedom Hoyer has to audible, but it looks like he should do it more often.

The Buffalo game is going to be a test. Their D is solid, and with our injuries on D, we may have to outscore everybody to win from here on out- this is where Shanahan will earn his $$, figuring out how to get 30 points every week.

Archived