THE BROWNS BOARD

***Official Browns @ Falcons Game Day Thread***

BrownsDawgPound

I'll be 100% honest T, I've been growing more concerned with Brian as the last few weeks have gone by. Not Stockton level, but my patience is beginning to grow thin. At first I blamed it on all of the injuries, but now I wonder aloud if it's not more of a "Brian now has film" issue, where the defense has a game plan now to take advantage of his tendencies? Just thinking out loud here.

Concerning yes, but you still have to account for the loss of Mack, which we've seen via the run game is a huge impact.

McDonald is still getting up to speed, and it's only been three or four weeks for him to be in the Live mix of things.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Concerning yes, but you still have to account for the loss of Mack, which we've seen via the run game is a huge impact.

McDonald is still getting up to speed, and it's only been three or four weeks for him to be in the Live mix of things.

Yea J, I get that, but I'm concerned most about his accuracy on plays with little to no pressure and an open receiver. Add in today's brain farts (especially the pic in the endzone, that was death penalty bad) and that's my concerns. I admire the guy, and am rooting for him, but he simply has to play much better for us to win the division.

That's why posted I the Hoyer to Gordon stats earlier (or another thread).

Ditto... I can't keep track either... but I saw your stat package. Corroborated an earlier post I made about timing with WR's other than Gordo.

Mental error #1 I posted about earlier as well (somewhere) was about BH not having the discipline to stay away from Josh running deep options and when plays broke down.

Mike Pettine has the fourth-best start by Browns coach in his first 11 NFL games. Paul Brown opened 9-2 in 1950

Watch out for Gipper's toes... ;)

Yea J, I get that, but I'm concerned most about his accuracy on plays with little to no pressure and an open receiver. Add in today's brain farts (especially the pic in the endzone, that was death penalty bad) and that's my concerns. I admire the guy, and am rooting for him, but he simply has to play much better for us to win the division.

As far as the pressure goes, I think he may still be adjusting to McDonald at C versus Mack . . . he has been getting hammered up the middle the last few games.

End Zone INT was bad, but as I observed in another thread Gordon wasn't looking and may have been off route, plus add in the rust factor between the two (hence two INT's Gordons way) and it becomes a lot more iffy.

Going to add this here :

Cleveland Browns Must Be Taken Seriously After Week 12 Win

They always say that once you hit rock bottom, you can only go up from there. That pretty much sums up exactly what has been happening to the Cleveland Browns so far this season. Could you believe the Browns are now 7-4 so far this season and are actually looking like contenders? It’s not hard to believe when you’ve seen how this team has evolved these past few weeks by playing tough and never giving up.

It’s no secret that better teams always find a way to win, even when their top performers don’t show up to dominate. It could be an unlikely athlete like a third-string quarterback, a wide receiver that nobody has ever heard of, or even a kicker that nails a game-winning field goal.

Needless to say, the Browns have been through decades of pain and suffering. It’s refreshing to see that the team can come together and find ways to win to the point that they can actually have a fighting chance to take down even the better opponents coming their way.

Overall, these Browns are serious and are adding more legions of fans to their dedicated fan base. These Browns are on a mission and playing with purpose. It’s about time that they started to execute and play like contenders because quite honestly, it’s been a long time coming.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/11/23/cleveland-browns-must-be-taken-seriously-after-week-12-win/

End Zone INT was bad, but as I observed in another thread Gordon wasn't looking and may have been off route, plus add in the rust factor between the two (hence two INT's Gordons way) and it becomes a lot more iffy.

I'll go one further, I blame Shanahan for not calling a run there. As I recall, it was 1st down and Crow just came into the game from getting a blow on the sideline. West had several good runs, the defense was tired and Crow was fresh....... R U N T H E B A L L !!

I'll be 100% honest T, I've been growing more concerned with Brian as the last few weeks have gone by. Not Stockton level, but my patience is beginning to grow thin. At first I blamed it on all of the injuries, but now I wonder aloud if it's not more of a "Brian now has film" issue, where the defense has a game plan now to take advantage of his tendencies? Just thinking out loud here.

I feel your pain...

Still chalking up most of my reduced confidence to the lack of a running game... which feeds BH's true strength... PAP. But his footwork had also gone downhill. It seemed better today, but then so was the run game.

Anyway I see a lot more in my O-line sessions... looking forward to them this week.

I'll go one further, I blame Shanahan for not calling a run there. As I recall, it was 1st down and Crow just came into the game from getting a blow on the sideline. West had several good runs, the defense was tired and Crow was fresh....... R U N T H E B A L L !!

Yeah, they had the run rhythm going there, should have probably pounded it in and ate some Clock as well . . . Shanny has a tendency to get a little too cute on play calling sometimes.

Overall, I think he's doing a pretty decent job as is Pettine, though Pettine had me questioning the failure to call a TO at the end of the 1st Half.

^^^ding ding ding!

we have a winner!

A heart-attack game ending that should not have been. We'll all be dead by season's end at this rate lol.

Commentator's said they thought Gordon gave up on that end-zone pass. Was a HORRIBLE throw but I agree he coulda jumped for it.

Adding Gordon to the mix hasn't seemed to slow Hawkins effectiveness down. Austin about the same pre and post-Gordon, nothing special, but does come up with some key receptions here and there.

Gipson's injury looked bad. In replay slow, you could see his lower leg flop around like a noodle when he collided with Haden. At best a bad strain on his ACL/MCL?

You know if Atlanta had managed the clock at the end, Browns would've surely lost and we'd be here today saying they lost the game themselves. Atlanta did not outplay, Browns (and mostly Hoyer) really effed up and got lucky. Tour, I'll look to Pettine's "ugly win" comment now. :)

I feel your pain...

Still chalking up most of my reduced confidence to the lack of a running game... which feeds BH's true strength... PAP. But his footwork had also gone downhill. It seemed better today, but then so was the run game.

Anyway I see a lot more in my O-line sessions... looking forward to them this week.

If so, then you too are doubled over feeling ill....

Reduced confidence?......my feelings exactly!

Looking fwd to the OL analysis too

Browns win yesterday puts added emphasis on the Ravens - Saints game tonight.

Saints win tonight, and they're in first place in the NFC South.

Yeah, 5 - 6 as the Divisional leader, but until yesterday the Falcons were the Divisional leader at 4 - 6.

For Playoff purposes (imagine that) a Saints win tonight gives us a little more ground on the Ravens in the Division.

Browns win yesterday puts added emphasis on the Ravens - Saints game tonight.

Saints win tonight, and they're in first place in the NFC South.

Yeah, 5 - 6 as the Divisional leader, but until yesterday the Falcons were the Divisional leader at 4 - 6.

For Playoff purposes (imagine that) a Saints win tonight gives us a little more ground on the Ravens in the Division.

If the Ravens win it will be the first time in NFL history that all teams of a single division were 3+ games above .500

If the Ravens win it will be the first time in NFL history that all teams of a single division were 3+ games above .500

It just frikin figures the one year the Browns start to put it all together is the one where we are playing in possibly the best division play in NFL history. I wouldn't be surprised this year if a 10-6 team is out of the playoffs (where have we seen that before?)

It just frikin figures the one year the Browns start to put it all together is the one where we are playing in possibly the best division play in NFL history. I wouldn't be surprised this year if a 10-6 team is out of the playoffs (where have we seen that before?)

the Browns, 2007

I've looked at the Interception in the end zone play numerous times and I can't explain how he was called in-bounds. Transmit clearly comes down on one foot and then the hip hits out of bounds before the second foot comes down. What am I missing (a pair of glasses perhaps?)

I was reading an article about the last play before the half. Joel Bits season saving tackle on Hester. Thinking back they kicked it once and Hester caught it but the falcons called time out. So the play had to be run again. I had a couple questions maybe someone could help me out with.

1. Did anyone ask pettine why they had cundiff kick it again? It seemed obvious it wasn't gonna come close, and why give the best return man ever a chance against a bunch of o linemen?

2. If anyone recorded the game I seem the remember after the first kick pettine and cundiff were talking, the conversations seemed to be pettine asking cundiff if he had the leg strength to at least not give Hester a chance at a return, and cundiff seemed to be sure he did. Can anyone go back and see if that's what they were actually talking about? I know I'm asking a lot, you must have recorded the game, and be able to read lips, but who knows.

3. Is cundiff's leg really too weak to even get it past the endzone on a 55? Yd fg?

I was reading an article about the last play before the half. Joel Bits season saving tackle on Hester. Thinking back they kicked it once and Hester caught it but the falcons called time out. So the play had to be run again. I had a couple questions maybe someone could help me out with.

1. Did anyone ask pettine why they had cundiff kick it again? It seemed obvious it wasn't gonna come close, and why give the best return man ever a chance against a bunch of o linemen?

2. If anyone recorded the game I seem the remember after the first kick pettine and cundiff were talking, the conversations seemed to be pettine asking cundiff if he had the leg strength to at least not give Hester a chance at a return, and cundiff seemed to be sure he did. Can anyone go back and see if that's what they were actually talking about? I know I'm asking a lot, you must have recorded the game, and be able to read lips, but who knows.

3. Is cundiff's leg really too weak to even get it past the endzone on a 55? Yd fg?

Cundiff has been awful 50+ over his career. I didn't expect him to make it from 60, but I didn't expect him to be as short as he was.

He told Pettine he pulled up because he heard the timeout though.

Cundiff has been awful 50+ over his career. I didn't expect him to make it from 60, but I didn't expect him to be as short as he was.

He told Pettine he pulled up because he heard the timeout though.

And from what I read, Cundiff said he could make it. While I admire his confidence and the confidence then that Pettine shows in his players...it was a pretty lame decision that almost cost us.

What made me the angriest about letting Billy kick that, was we were lucky enough to get a glimpse into the future, and anyone that saw that kick should've known what the next kick was going to look like, as well as how ATL was going to defense it. With Billy's long FG success history, combined with the practice kick result, there was only one right decision, and it was a jump ball in the endzone.

(of course all of the above would've been moot, had we of simply handled the TOs correctly)

I give Pettine credit for stepping up and taking the criticism like a man....as he usually does.

Admitted the mistake(first step).....said he learned from it(second step)......and said it wont happen again(third step)...

Unlike most coaches who stubbornly defend their bad decisions, at least Pettine is secure enough to man up.

I like it!

I give Pettine credit for stepping up and taking the criticism like a man....as he usually does.

Admitted the mistake(first step).....said he learned from it(second step)......and said it wont happen again(third step)...

Unlike most coaches who stubbornly defend their bad decisions, at least Pettine is secure enough to man up.

I like it!

I didn't see his remarks on either the TOs or the FG, but it doesn't surprise me that he took responsibility. I like Pet, and he's only going to get better with more experience.

I didn't see his remarks on either the TOs or the FG, but it doesn't surprise me that he took responsibility. I like Pet, and he's only going to get better with more experience.

Yep. He was a champ....and then went on to thank Bito for saving his ass too.....said it was the "best play" he's seen all year...haha

I've looked at the Interception in the end zone play numerous times and I can't explain how he was called in-bounds. Transmit clearly comes down on one foot and then the hip hits out of bounds before the second foot comes down. What am I missing (a pair of glasses perhaps?)

I think the DB's left knee/ shin my have gotten down before his ass hit the OB. But can't be sure. And since call on the field was "in bounds", then they have to see compelling evidence that he was out and if they fail to see the knee/shin not down, then the call stands... which is not the same as call confirmed.

Clear as mud?

Leg strength? Leg acceleration? Same thing?

Billy has no issues cranking a kick-off from the 35 too deep to return with the longer run up. Other Kickers with as much "FG leg" may barely reach the goal-line. Why?

Joe Thomas said it was "the most amazing I've ever seen on a football field."

I wonder what his tracer distance run was.

Archived