THE BROWNS BOARD

Wonder Woman review

Wonder Woman

DC Warner brothers

PG13. 141 min

From Susan B. Anthony to Virginia Slims cigarettes to Helen Reddy to the Spice Girls, Girl Power has always and always will be with us. And regardless of political affiliation any movement worth joining is worth making a quick buck from. DC Comics has tried in the past to get Supergirl and Batgirl off the ground with no luck while Marvel swings and misses with Jennifer Jones. Wonder Woman is possibly the most successful female superhero since the Celts sent Boudicca into battle. Her journey began in the jungles of the Amazon continued through the American world war (She 1st appeared in comic-book form in 1941) and now winds up on the silver screen, a few decades after the Lynda Carter TV series, thanks to the team of DC Comics and Warner Brothers. Speaking of Girl Power this is also directed by a woman, Patty Jenkins, whose short list of directorial accomplishments includes MONSTER, a gutsy portrayal of a serial killer starring Charlize Theron.

Like many superheroes Wonder Woman's powers and abilities have changed over the decades. Originally, like Batman, she was a human being but possessed quite a few technologically superior items including that pair of bulletproof bracelets a headband that could-be turned into a boomerang a lariat which caused whoever was in its grasp to speak truthfully, a pair of sandals that allows her to jump from one spot to another in the world and an invisible airplane.

This particular film, like most superhero 1st films, are based on the origin of the character and this one starts on that island of Amazon women who are the descendants of the Greek gods. Mom really doesn't want her to grow up to be a Warrior but you know how that wound-up. All these women are waiting for Aries, you know, the God of War, to come-back and have a battle royale, so when a dashing young man, Steve Trevor (Chris Pine) washes up on shore being chased by the Germans and speaks of a huge war with millions being killed Diana (Gal Gadot) believes that Aries is at the bottom of it . She makes a decision to accompany him back-to London and confront the war God personally. Her time in the British city is a fish out of water tale as she adapts to life in the modern world. She eventually teams up with forces who are determined to destroy the poison gas factory run by Ludendorf and Doctor Poison. (Danny Huston and Elena Anaya). By the way this plan of action is against the wishes of the politicians who see appeasement as a better way to proceed.

From here on there is plenty of action but it never gets over powering. The basis of the movie remains philosophical and based upon human relations. Same deal with the special effects given the beauty and grandeur and heartbreaking destruction of Europe during that time, It's a refreshing change from skyscrapers and rocket ships.

The bitter-sweet ending is a perfect set up for the inevitable sequels but this one = 1 of the best superhero movies so far. About time DC hit a home run.

A-

WSS

• 3 weeks later...

I would agree with Steve's grade. This is so much better of a movie than the Batman Vs. Superman movie where she made her original cameo appearance.

Some interesting casting as well. Connie Nielsen (Gladiator...Commodus's sister) as Wonder Woman's (Diana) mother.

Robin Wright as her aunt and head of the Amazonian military.

David Thewlis (Harry Potter's Remus Lupin) as Aries. I think we first saw him as the simpering cohort of Julian Moore in The Big Lebowski.

And the lady who played Chris Pine's secretary....a dowdy, frumpy Englishwoman seemed to be the reincarnation of Elsa Lanchester.

Oh...and the chick who played Wonder Woman....very hot, very hot.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't nuts about it. I didn't hate it, and I realize it is a comic book adaptation. The prallel worlds portrayal was too corny for me. Now, the same technique in the upcoming movie Gunslinger? That looks cool.

Lynda Carter gave me wood. This chick is, well, ah hell, I am 62, maybe it's my wood that is the problem. I still liked it, I just wasn't nuts about it.

B for me.

Archived