THE BROWNS BOARD

Uniformz?

MLD Woody

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone else in the league points to the browns as one of the if not the single ugliest uniform in the league.

point me to link please because i think you're lying. making up some bullshit to back your fascination with action figure play-toy uniform changes like iron man.

does everyone in college football think penn state's uniform is ugly? no.

you know who they do point to as being ugly is the ducks and the terps.

i like that mock of tennessee's uniform, if their colors were blue and orange. that's not grey, that's blue.

point me to link please because i think you're lying. making up some bullshit to back your fascination with action figure play-toy uniform changes like iron man.

does everyone in college football think penn state's uniform is ugly? no.

you know who they do point to is being ugly is the ducks and the terps.

i like that mock of tennessee's uniform, if their colors were blue and orange. that's not grey, that's blue.

The uniform is changing. Its already done and not a single fuck was given about your opinion on the matter

That's fucking ugly

Change the Vols grey colors to green & yellow and what ya got? Fuggin' ugly Oregon Ducks uniforms! Not so creative Nike.

The brown on brown poop suit is fucking ugly. Everyone else in the league points to the browns as one of the if not the single ugliest uniform in the league. I'm glad Haslam is making the decisions and not the fans.

I've already said if they want to go with the all Brown look- and hey kiddo, its the Cleveland BROWNS, They need to do something with those pants which ARE ugly. Um the Raiders have been down for years, their unis date to the 60s- unchanged, and I don't hear their fans screaming for a new look. The gang bangers are all looking a little dated too, wearing the silver and black, don't ya think?

If they want to go with grey numbers on brown and orange, fine by me. BTW the Bengals occasionally use the all orange look, and it's pretty hideous. Har, har, khaki has always been a cool color, just ask Dockers, Lets start a trend going for a lighter shade- seems like Nike wants every team to wear an off shade of black at home- you know, it looks "more intimidating".

Finally, I could give a rat what fans of other teams think of our uniforms.

The brown on brown poop suit is fucking ugly. Everyone else in the league points to the browns as one of the if not the single ugliest uniform in the league. I'm glad Haslam is making the decisions and not the fans.

That's debatable....I've gone on several road trips to watch Browns games (Buffalo, Dallas, St. Louis, Indy, & Oakland). Not one fan I met said the Browns uniforms are ugly- in fact, we agreed that Miami & Tennessee's are the ugliest by a mile.

So they are indeed changing the uniforms, something I'm not crazy about. Let's hope the changes aren't those stupid color blocks (titans, Bills) and are changes for the better.

I havent seen one mock up on the new proposed uniform Ideas I even remotely like...put a goddamn winner on the field..I'll be happy with that.

The uniform is changing. Its already done and not a single fuck was given about your opinion on the matter

nor yours.

since you are so on top of this can you post a pic of the new uniforms?

nope, didn't think so. go ahead with your speculation of this HUGE REVOLUTIONARY change. and when they tweak a font or put a stroke around it or give us matte tinted helmets as this revolutionary change.............i'll laugh at you.

just hope your ego can take it.

In fairness, none of those colors are brown.

c'mon, really?

the team name is the BROWNS and you're saying drop the color brown?

that's like saying the indians should change their logo to a chimp. dumb. makes no sense in the design world or in the world of reality.

I don't believe that the Cleveland Browns are named after the color brown. I don't think that they have anything to do with each other. Brown though has been the main color for a long time, but so has orange. They are just making the brown a secondary color to orange being the main color(which I think should be the main color anyway). It's not like they are changing the team name to The Cleveland Oranges. Brown and Orange will both be in play in the new uniform scheme, it's part of the deal of bringing Cleveland back, that the team will retain it's name, team colors, stats and records.

I don't believe that the Cleveland Browns are named after the color brown.

wow really? damn Po you teach me something new everyday. of course their not named after the color brown. they're named after paul brown.

btw, mkc has us picking derek carr at number 4 on nfl.com's nfl local beat writer's mock.

thought i'd throw that in there just to cheer you up a bit.

nor yours.

since you are so on top of this can you post a pic of the new uniforms?

nope, didn't think so. go ahead with your speculation of this HUGE REVOLUTIONARY change. and when they tweak a font or put a stroke around it or give us matte tinted helmets as this revolutionary change.............i'll laugh at you.

just hope your ego can take it.

Blah blah blah attack attack attack everything you post is the same. It's not MY words mike, its the browns organization and New owner. So attack me if you want, dog, call me gay some more if it makes you feel better about yourself, but its happening and the uniform purists can't do a damn thing about it.

The St. Louis Blues are named after the genre of music, but since blue is also a color, they use it as their primary color. It makes sense. Green Bay is the location, but green is a color.

No idea where the Reds name came from, but I think they were originally the Red Stockings? Either way.. red haha.

I don't believe that the Cleveland Browns are named after the color brown. I don't think that they have anything to do with each other. Brown though has been the main color for a long time, but so has orange. They are just making the brown a secondary color to orange being the main color(which I think should be the main color anyway). It's not like they are changing the team name to The Cleveland Oranges. Brown and Orange will both be in play in the new uniform scheme, it's part of the deal of bringing Cleveland back, that the team will retain it's name, team colors, stats and records.

Actually, yes, the Cleveland Browns theoretically ARE named after the color Brown....actually, the skin color Brown.

Allegedly they are named after Joe Louis, the Brown Bomber. He was called the Brown Bomber because he was African American/Negro/Colored....whatever you want to say.....but allegedly it definitely has to to with skin color.

wow really? damn Po you teach me something new everyday. of course their not named after the color brown. they're named after paul brown.

btw, mkc has us picking derek carr at number 4 on nfl.com's nfl local beat writer's mock.

thought i'd throw that in there just to cheer you up a bit.

According to Paul Brown....no, they were NOT named after him....wink, wink, nudge nudge...but after Joe Louis.

Blah blah blah attack attack attack everything you post is the same. It's not MY words mike, its the browns organization and New owner. So attack me if you want, dog, call me gay some more if it makes you feel better about yourself, but its happening and the uniform purists can't do a damn thing about it.

really? point to one post in this thread where i called you gay or this is gay? can't can you? so stop putting words in my mouth.

i actually like some of the nike mocks. just redoing a whole new color scheme doesn't make sense. the browns aren't the brookly nets where they have a chance to wear 4 different unis in an 82 game reg season. there are only 16 games and the home and away are 2 diff. unis, usually there is a throwback (so that's 3) and now a special edition where everyone wears grey unis with highlights from their original unis? that makes four. so 1 in four games will be played in a different uniform?

The name of the team was at first left up to Paul Brown, who rejected calls for it to be christened the Browns.[12][13] The franchise then held a naming contest to publicize the team, promising a $1,000 war bond to the winner. In June 1945, a committee selected "Panthers" as the new team's name.[14] McBride, however, changed it to the Browns two months later, the result of another naming contest that suggested Browns, not after Paul Brown himself, but as a shortened version of Brown Bombers, a reference to the nickname of boxer Joe Louis.[15][16] Some sources say McBride was asked for thousands of dollars in compensation from a businessman who owned the rights to the name Cleveland Panthers, an earlier failed football team.[17

1. Jump up ^ Witham, Drake (November 7, 1995). "Whom are the Browns named after? THE BROWNS' MOVE TO BALTIMORE". Baltimore Sun. "Jack Clary writes in his book, "Cleveland Browns," that an effort was made to associate the team with a winner, and Joe Louis was in his prime."
  2. Jump up ^ Otis, Sam (August 16, 1945). "Brief News And Views on Sports". Cleveland Plain Dealer. p. 15. "... the new All-American Conference club of Arthur F. McBride did not fancy the selection of the prize committee that had thought Panthers would be just dandy, so they took matters into their own hands this week and chose a new nickname – the Browns."

This says it a little differently here.

I'm 100% sure that if McBride would have signed Notre Dame's Frank Leahy as his team's head coach, he wouldn't have named the team The Browns. I FIRMLY believe that he named it what he did because of Paul Brown, and the Brown Bomber reference was because of Paul Browns objections to naming it after himself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Arthur B. "Mickey" McBride (March 20, 1888 – November 10, 1972) was the founder of the Cleveland Browns professional American football team in the All-America Football Conference and National Football League. During McBride's tenure as owner of the Browns from 1944 to 1953, the team won five league championships and reached the championship game two more times. It was the most successful period for a Cleveland sports team in the city's modern history.[1] McBride was also a real estate developer and investor active in Cleveland, Chicago and Florida. He owned taxi-cab companies in Cleveland and a horse racing news wire that sold information to bookmakers. He had ties to organized crime figures arising from the wire service, but was never arrested or convicted of a crime.

Early career[edit]

McBride was born in Chicago, where he worked as a newsboy from the age of six.[2][3] His first real job was for publishing tycoon William Randolph Hearst's organization in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston and Chicago. He moved to Cleveland in 1913, when he was in his mid-twenties, to be circulation manager for the Cleveland News.[2][4][5] It was a time when circulation battles over newsstands and street corners often turned violent.[5] He started with the News on a $10,000 salary ($238,620 in today's dollars) and was charged with organizing the paper's newsboys. "This meant choosing strong young men comfortable fighting with fists, clubs, knives, chains and, when they could get them, handguns," author Ted Schwarz wrote. "They were the business equivalent of the street gang, and McBride's salary depended on how well he organized his newsboys to avoid losing their corners to one or more violent rivals."[6]

Having built up a fortune in newspapers and purchased apartment buildings in the Cleveland suburb of Lakewood, McBride in 1930 went into business for himself.[7] In 1931, he bought a majority stake in Cleveland's Zone Cab Company, which later merged with the Yellow Cab Company to form the city's biggest taxi operator.[2][8] He also had taxi businesses in Akron and Canton, two cities southeast of Cleveland.[2][3] As his taxi businesses prospered, McBride invested in real estate in Cleveland, Chicago and Florida.[2] In the late 1930s, he leveraged his newspaper connections to launch a wire service that supplied bookmakers with the results of horse races.[9] This put him in contact with organized crime figures who were behind gambling operations that relied on such services.[9] He invested in the Continental Press and Empire News, both based in Cleveland and run by mobsters Morris "Mushy" Wexler and Sam "Gameboy" Miller.[10] James Ragen, another friend and associate in the wire business, was murdered in 1946 in a Chicago gangland feud.[4] A federal grand jury in 1940 indicted 18 people, including McBride and Wexler, over the supply of information used in gambling.[11] The allegations were based on federal laws that forbade interstate transmission of lottery results; prosecutors treated the race results as lottery lists.[11] He was never arrested or tried over his role in the business, however.[9]

Cleveland Browns[edit]

McBride was a fan of boxing and baseball, but knew little about football.[12] He only grew interested in the sport in 1940, when his son Arthur Jr. was a student the University of Notre Dame and he attended Notre Dame Fighting Irish football games in South Bend, Indiana.[3][8][12] He was drawn by the excitement that surrounded football and thought a professional team could be profitable.[12] In 1942, McBride made overtures to supermarket heir Dan Reeves about buying his Cleveland Rams, a National Football League team, but Reeves rebuffed him.[13][14] In 1944, however, Chicago Tribune sports editor Arch Ward proposed a new professional league called the All-America Football Conference.[12] McBride, who knew Ward from his days in the newspaper business, eagerly signed on as the owner of the eight-team circuit's Cleveland franchise.[15]

McBride first set his sights on Notre Dame's Frank Leahy as his team's head coach, and the two men shook hands on a deal to make him coach and general manager.[9] Not wanting to lose Leahy, however, Notre Dame's president objected and McBride backed off.[9][16] He then asked Cleveland Plain Dealer sportswriter John Dietrich who he should hire. Dietrich suggested Paul Brown, the Ohio State Buckeyes coach who was then serving in the U.S. Navy and coaching a team at the Great Lakes Naval Training Station outside of Chicago.[9] With his limited football knowledge, McBride had never heard of Brown, and it was Ward who made the initial approach.[16] McBride later met with Brown, whose star was on the rise after bringing Ohio State its first national championship in 1942, and offered him $17,500 a year ($252,592 in current dollar terms) – the biggest salary for any football coach at any level – and an ownership stake in the team. He also offered Brown a stipend for the rest of his time in the military.[16] Brown accepted the position, saying that while he was sad to leave Ohio State, he "couldn't turn down this deal in fairness to my family."[17]

McBride spared no expense in promoting the team and gave Brown full control over personnel.[18] Brown went out and signed future stars including tackle and placekicker Lou Groza, wide receiver Dante Lavelli and quarterback Otto Graham, who got $7,500 a year and a $250 monthly stipend until the end of World War II.[19] McBride then held a contest to name the team in May 1945; "Cleveland Panthers" was the most popular choice, but Brown rejected it because it was the name of an earlier failed football team. "That old Panthers team failed," Brown said. "I want no part of that name."[20] In August, McBride gave in to popular demand and christened the team the Browns, despite Paul Brown's objections.[21]

As the team prepared for its first season in 1946, McBride stepped aside and let Brown run it.[22] The Browns were an immediate success, both financially and on the field. A capacity crowd of 35,964 saw the Browns play their first preseason game at the Akron Rubber Bowl, and the team led all of football in attendance in 1946 and 1947.[23] The Browns, meanwhile, won every AAFC championship between 1946 and 1949.[24] McBride proposed for the Browns to play an inter-league championship game with the National Football League champion Philadelphia Eagles in 1948 and 1949, but the NFL shot down the idea.[25] He also played a role in negotiating peace between the AAFC and NFL after competition for talent drove up player salaries and ate into owners' profits.[26] After the 1949 season, the AAFC dissolved and three of its teams, including the Browns, merged into the more established NFL.[27]

In the Browns' early years, Paul Brown wanted to keep on reserve a number of promising players who did not make the team's official roster.[28] McBride made this happen by putting the reserves on his payroll as taxi drivers, although none of them were asked to drive cabs.[29] This group came to be known as the "taxi squad", a term still in use to describe players kept on hand to fill in for injured team members.[28] The taxi squad was just one of the ways in which McBride backed Brown. He viewed owning the team as primarily a civic duty – as a gift to the city.[30] "Cleveland has been good to me," he said in a 1947 interview. "I've made a great deal of money here. If I was looking for a get-rich-quick investment, the last thing I'd do is buy a pro football club. It's a risky business. Too much depends on ideal weather conditions, and this is no climate to risk a buck on a raindrop."[30]

The Browns continued to succeed upon entering the NFL in 1950, winning the championship that year and reaching the title game in both 1951 and 1952.[31] In January 1951, McBride testified in nationally televised hearings before the Kefauver Committee, where he was questioned about his Continental Press Service and alleged ties to organized crime and illegal gambling.[32] It emerged that McBride partnered with Cleveland police captain John Fleming in real estate deals and had Fleming on the Yellow Cab payroll until 1941.[33] McBride denied the mafia connections, claimed he never broke the law and was never charged with any crime. Congress later passed legislation making such wire services illegal.[32]

During the summer before the 1953 season, McBride sold the Browns for $600,000 ($5,288,806 in today's dollars), more than twice the largest sum ever paid for a professional football team.[34] The old stockholders were McBride and his son Edward, along with minority owners including taxi business associate Dan Sherby, Brown and four others. The buyers were a group of prominent Cleveland men: Dave R. Jones, a businessman and former Cleveland Indians director, Ellis Ryan, a former Cleveland Indians president, Homer Marshman, an attorney who had founded the Cleveland Rams, Saul Silberman, owner of the horse race track later known as Thistledown Racecourse, and Ralph DeChairo, an associate of Silberman.[35][36] While McBride never said so, the Kefauver hearings and the growing public association between him and the mafia may have played a role in his decision to get out of football.[37] McBride said he had simply "had his fling" with football and wanted to concentrate on other business activities. "Well, I came out clean after all," he said. "Considering what happened to some of the other fellows who started the old All-America Conference with me, this isn't so bad. I never made anything, but I didn't lose anything either, except maybe a few thousand dollars."[38]

McBride's tenure as owner was viewed favorably, partly because of the Browns' on-field success but also because he gave Paul Brown a free hand to coach and sign players.[39] One of the new ownership group's first acts was to assure Cleveland fans they would give Brown the same kind of leeway.[40]

Later life and death[edit]

McBride continued to direct his taxi and real estate businesses after he sold the Browns, but he kept out of the public eye.[4] He died of a heart attack at the Cleveland Clinic and was buried in Cleveland's Holy Cross Cemetery. He was married to the former Mary Jane Kane. They had three children: Arthur B., Jr., Edward and Jane.[4]

We get it, you hate uniform threads. Too bad its a topic that's going to gain a LOT of steam particularly after this next season.

Whatever, I'll put all in one big, gay thread and you can circle jerk for hours.

Zombo

You're going to be sorely disappointed when the "new" uniforms don't include rainbow stripes with pink accents.

Archived