THE BROWNS BOARD

Michael Sam experiment over?

Mudfly

ll true, but surely you are not making the case that there has never been a gay player in the NFL...

... and he's been cut from two teams. Not very mitigating...

As for the league lobbying for him... it's tantamount to them saying "we know you may not want him because he's gay, but..."

It IS mitigating that before he was cut....he was signed. So he cannot claim that he wasn't given a chance by NFL teams.

I think it is clear that he was cut for football reasons....and that is not a winning legal argument for him.

(besides FYI.....most anti-discrimination laws do NOT recognize sexual preference as a protected status!)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup... but when your dream is to play in the NFL, the CFL might just be a bit of a let down.

Excepting the fact that Renee had the surgery and Jenner still wants to "date" women? Perfect parallel...

All true, but surely you are not making the case that there has never been a gay player in the NFL...

... and he's been cut from two teams. Not very mitigating...

As for the league lobbying for him... it's tantamount to them saying "we know you may not want him because he's gay, but..."

I am not. But all of them have had to live in hiding. Sam said himself that multiple players reached out to him but we're still afraid to come out of the closet.

There are gay players in the NFL. They didn't rape their teammates. They didn't infect the locker room and turn the rest of the team gay. The fear of many - that a gay person will change the culture of a team - is irrational.

Nope nope nope.

That one guy from Texas posted on here and said there were no gays in the NFL. It is too manly. He must be right. Yeah...

And I never said being the co SEC DPOY means you have to be good in the NFL. It just means you obviously don't suck, as some on here have said

Every kids dream that play and love the game is to make it to the NFL. Not CFL nor Arena. He states he has a personal problem and I say the dream is it. The rest of his stuff does not matter at this point except his fire inside to make his dream. Good Luck.. Gay or Not He's a Human in our society.

Well, again, it was reported that he left the team for personal reasons.....that could imply that if he gets those personal issues straight...that he could be back.

(of course....maybe those "personal issues" were that other members of the Alouettes are not as tolerant of his sexual orientation...and made him aware of it. That is pure speculation).

Yes. Pure speculation. Whats not speculation is he quit. People will over look alot if you help them win. Seriously, if he wasn't just a marginal player but a beast at LB, gay or not, NOBODY would cut him. If he let teammates get in his head to the point of walking away imagine what the opposing players will do to him.

The problem with this reasoning is the same problem with Cal's - it's inferring that the interview, and the whole scenario itself, was a money grab. What gives you that information? Why is the automatic assumption that it was solely a money-backed decision and not just a PR move?

However, by getting out in front of it, he controlled the situation. It was a PR move, plain and simple.

What would you rather have had him do? Come out after the draft? Not come out at all?

Rumors began circulating that Kerry Rhodes was gay in 2013, which he adamantly denied - he never played another snap in the NFL despite having a decent on-field track record.

OK- we don't know what his true intention was TC- but we're sure entitled to have an OPINION about what his intention was.

So by releasing his sexual orientation and living as free a life as any straight, heterosexual male - he was attempting to "thrive" off of his position.

Got it.

What he should have done was say nothing, live in secret, let the media blow him up when they inevitably found out about his boyfriend, and then quit the league in shame.

I think it's been stated- there are already Gay guys playing in the NFL. Funny there aren't any major reports about their significant others. Sams made an issue out of it. That on him, and the (ahem Liberal) media made a circus out of it- not totally unlike how Manziel created his personal media monster.

And I think you're underestimating the degree of tolerance (in general) society has of the gay population. There's a difference between tolerance- and acceptance. Problem is- if you can't accept the 2% ( or 0.01%) of the population that thinks this is "normal" behavior- then you must be weird. Catlin thinks so.

Yes. Pure speculation. Whats not speculation is he quit.

Actually, yes, that too is speculation. It was reported that he left the team for personal reasons......that opens up the door for the possibility that he did not quit....just left for a while. It seems possible that he could be back.

People will over look alot if you help them win. Seriously, if he wasn't just a marginal player but a beast at LB, gay or not, NOBODY would cut him. If he let teammates get in his head to the point of walking away imagine what the opposing players will do to him.

What you say is true....except again...it was I who said that he may have let intolerant teammates get into his head.....again, pure speculation. It is more likely that it was something else completely. Maybe his mother has cancer or some such.....that speculation is just as possible. Yes, I acknowledge that I am the one doing the wild speculation.

• 1 month later...

Archived