THE BROWNS BOARD

The Unofficial... Off-Season... D-line Thread

Tour2ma

Couple excerpts from a little, Monday blurb on Big Phil...

Cleveland Browns DL Phil Taylor methodically working his way back

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Cleveland-Browns-DL-Phil-Taylor-methodically-working-his-way-back/362eac79-2a13-4c12-9751-594c4e24a5ee

Phil Taylor’s not the easiest guy to miss on the football field, and Mike Pettine made that clear Monday after the Browns defensive line took a big step in the right direction.

Taylor, who was been rehabbing for months in his recovery from a knee injury, saw his most work yet Monday in 11-on-11 drills. The 335-pound nose tackle worked in the middle alongside Randy Starks and Desmond Bryant in sessions against the first-team offense. Rookie Danny Shelton rotated in and out behind him.

Perhaps the biggest thing motivating Taylor to return are the players around him. He described Shelton’s on- and off-field energy to be infectious, while the offseason addition of Starks and return of injured players such as John Hughes and Armonty Bryant have provided more capable bodies in the defensive line room than Taylor’s ever seen.

It hard to get excited about 4 preseason games but with this rotation and no more red jersey's I am there. interested to see 3rd and run D and 3rd and passing down. personnel units that wants to step up and win on 3rd down?

It hard to get excited about 4 preseason games but with this rotation and no more red jersey's I am there. interested to see 3rd and run D and 3rd and passing down. personnel units that wants to step up and win on 3rd down?

I love to watch the preseason games. There's guys trying to win starting jobs, situational reps or simply make the team. When fans say they don't care because there's a lot of vanilla in the game plans - there's reasons why our staff prolly likes some vanilla. Sometimes a DC doesn't want to slant or stunt up front so he can check out something like a 2 gap skill set from the dlinemen. Sometimes a DC likes to evaluate how his CBs can cover in an exhibition without using his best situational pass rushers or use of a blitz. For example, I think we had a preseason game or 2 last year where our corners got frequently flagged for a lot of grabbing and holding. After that went on film, our defensive staff worked very diligently to clean that stuff up. It also helped them decide who we should keep and who we shouldn't (ie; McFadden). When I recently watched our 2014 year in review - I was reminded our secondary had an elite number of pass breakups despite the reality we weren't elite at sacking the QB.

There were other goodies to check out too like how did Joel Bitonio look at his new position OG matching up with guys trying to start on Defense for other teams. Vanilla or not, it was on. Guys are trying to prove themselves knowing they may only have and from 1-2 series to possibly 1-2 quarters of action.

This is also a time of year you get to see an undrafted gem like a Taylor Gabriel emerge or a QB like Connor Shaw pleasantly surprising people. Something like that is always fun. On top of that, if we really want to take the next step - the competition to make the bottom of the active roster needs to be fierce and impressive. I want to see this unfold and see who rises to the occasion. It's just fun to see guys competing whether it is to start or make our favorite team.

I love to watch the preseason games. There's guys trying to win starting jobs, situational reps or simply make the team.

This is also a time of year you get to see an undrafted gem like a Taylor Gabriel emerge or a QB like Connor Shaw pleasantly surprising people. Something like that is always fun. On top of that, if we really want to take the next step - the competition to make the bottom of the active roster needs to be fierce and impressive. I want to see this unfold and see who rises to the occasion. It's just fun to see guys competing whether it is to start or make our favorite team.

Im with you.....LOVE preseason football!

Especially watching the unknowns...the Gabes and Shaws(as mentioned)......and the Crows too. One explosive Preseason game got him a roster spot.....and now.....he is possibly our #1 back coming out of camp....

Super eager to see JFF...Bowe....Mayle....Johnson I.....Johnson II....Gilbert....McCown.....etc etc etc.....

aND, I think if we beat the Skins on Thurs.....well........SUPER BOWL!

• 2 weeks later...

Any word on Xavier Cooper? I haven't heard about how he is doing.

Coopers looking good, eh?......3 sacks in 2 games, so far.....

And we definitely stopped the run last night.....with the LB's showing up to help this time.....

but the DL did their job....collapsed the pocket....good pressure on the QB.....held their RB's to less than 2 yds a carry..

Now THATS what Im talkin about....

A sack is a sack, but last nite Coop was unblocked on his.

Of the back-ups Armonty impressed me on a couple plays... seemed to be very active.

For all the fanfare about the Bills' D-line, ours is no joke either... If we can avoid the injuries, they are going to make things very difficult for any offense we play... Adding Starks, Cooper, and Shelton was monumental and we will see much-improved play from that unit this year...

Plus, the true strength of our D is the secondary (when they are healthy), and we haven't even gotten to see them play as a whole unit. When Haden and Gipson are in there, we'll be causing fits...

Archived