THE BROWNS BOARD

Duke Johnson? Tashaun Gipson?

Opal312

I think the media coulda found out if they wanted to.....but they'd have to think there was a viable story there to go sniffing. And since there is no reason to believe that, they didn't bother to try.....

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the media coulda found out if they wanted to.....but they'd have to think there was a viable story there to go sniffing. And since there is no reason to believe that, they didn't bother to try.....

a viable story????? Yes siree that's the driving force behind the Cleveland Browns sports reporting community.

these guys write a special edition if Johnny Manziel wipes his ass on premium toilet paper.

:D

WSS

a viable story????? Yes siree that's the driving force behind the Cleveland Browns sports reporting community.

these guys write a special edition if Johnny Manziel wipes his ass on premium toilet paper.

:D

WSS

I agree 100% and personally HATE how the media operate and make a shit storm outta nothing....(especially some of our Cleveland reporters)......

Thats why Im glad they had enough sense not to pursue this one and bring a bunch of shit on a new rookie who has done nothing wrong.....;)

The thing that's concerning to me is that rookie deals in the NFL are slotted.. that is, the potential differences we're talking about, presuming there is a discussion going on between Team Duke and Team Haslam, are in the thousands of dollars - not millions.

What possibly could be holding it up?

I was looking in to this several days ago. His slotting falls in to line. The slot ahead of his and just below his leave his number...all looks good. The problem is about 5 picks further down the line, and couple of players signed for more than his slot or the slor or 3 above his.....I'll try to find it and post it.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/round-3/

looks like he's having a good week at OTA's......here's a nice article from yesterday for anyone interested....

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/RB-Duke-Johnson-makes-up-for-lost-time-in-big-way-at-Browns-OTAs/74befdba-2e39-4c9a-82d0-f08efc35195c

Man, that was great to watch. Mayle's release sure looked great for a 'slow guy'.

Good article on Johnson today on ClevelandBrowns.com

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/RB-Duke-Johnson-makes-up-for-lost-time-in-big-way-at-Browns-OTAs/74befdba-2e39-4c9a-82d0-f08efc35195c

My favorite bit:

“He read his blocks perfectly, he saw the seam, he was patient,” Thomas said. “That’s what you need as a running back. I hope we see that as the season goes on. I think you are going to see a more explosive offense this year.”

Perhaps the only person in attendance who didn’t have the run etched in their short-term memory was Johnson, who noted he had a “couple” at his second OTA as a Brown. He was reluctant to take credit for how they unfolded.

“I did have a couple where I was able to put a foot in the ground thanks to the O-line,” Johnson said. “They created a big seam for me and I hit it. I just ran and hid behind those big guys and hit the hole when I saw it.”

As an added benefit, skip to 0:30 in the video. Mayle has a monster first move that fakes Kendall James out of his shoes. I'd love to see a few of those this year.

Since the Browns picked him up in the draft I have felt that he would be of equal importance to the O as the addition of Erving. A back like this takes a tremendous amount of pressure off the QB position. Leading rusher in the history of the U and he has hands? Those don't just drop in your lap when you profess to be a running team. Hats off to the Browns for making this pick.

Since the Browns picked him up in the draft I have felt that he would be of equal importance to the O as the addition of Erving. A back like this takes a tremendous amount of pressure off the QB position. Leading rusher in the history of the U and he has hands? Those don't just drop in your lap when you profess to be a running team. Hats off to the Browns for making this pick.

No kidding, especially in the current day with the whole "RB position is devalued" thing. He may end up being our best get of the draft.......... time will tell.

And completely flying under the radar is still Winston....who by all accounts looks really good(again).....

after waiting all of last year, looking forward to finally seeing him carry the ball this pre season too.....

Mud should give up his hat, but No Way. IMO Flip wanting backs involved in his offense and ones that could catch was Big in this Pick. There was not any of us so called experts on this Board ever thinking we would take a RB. Kiper had us with Curley. When Johnson becomes a star in a bad Offense Hope a lot of us stop second guessing our Front Office including Myself. Pay them the Big Bucks and build a champion. Go Browns!!

Gipson signed his tender today, so we will be seeing him next week for sure......good news!

Good. Now go out and prove you should be paid even more.

Gipson signed his tender today, so we will be seeing him next week for sure......good news!

Great news! Let's get this season going. It's Xmas time for Browns fans!! All these new toys and a coaching staff that knows how to be Santa in dishing them out.

And isn't it ironic how suddenly we have a genius front office after so much questioning of the first two taken last year? Why is that? Could it be they called it right last year and all we need is some maturation combined with hard work? Why bring in a QB willing to mentor a brat? Why use a starting all-pro CB to mentor a problem child?This has got to be the dumbest f.o. ever, right? :lol: :lol:

About time he signed, hopefully this experience humbled him. No teams went after him even with the crappy 2nd round tender, so it wasn't just the Browns that felt his good year wasn't enough to pay him, 31 other teams also felt he wasn't worth a second round pick as compensation. Hopefully he will go out and prove he is a top safety, and get his money next year.

I kind of expected him to sign this week, simply because the deadline was here and, starting now, he would've been playing with fire....the Browns could've cut his throat by pulling the tender on Monday....and then he woulda been playing for 600 thousand instead of 2.5 million....so definitely not surprised by the timing.....

Though I have confidence, if he continues to play at a high level, that the Browns will reward him with a better contract next year....and if he goes for #1 in the league type of money(which I hear is possible) then he'll end up with the trans tag.....

Get the feeling Gibson is in the market for a new Agent. (whoever he has now?) Mud, I don't believe Browns would have blackballed Gipson on lower deal and Hope like hell he stays Healthy and Proves his long term deal just under Haden or Williams. Just don't like the Franchise Tag idea, Just like J. Graham and many others, They play it (F.Tag) and leave. Just win now and keep Mack we don't need a F.Tag in 2016 neither Sign them Farmer..

Get the feeling Gibson is in the market for a new Agent. (whoever he has now?) Mud, I don't believe Browns would have blackballed Gipson on lower deal and Hope like hell he stays Healthy and Proves his long term deal just under Haden or Williams. Just don't like the Franchise Tag idea, Just like J. Graham and many others, They play it (F.Tag) and leave. Just win now and keep Mack we don't need a F.Tag in 2016 neither Sign them Farmer..

I would agree with every word....I also doubt the Browns woulda pulled the rug out, but they "could" have....which was the risk for Tashaun. I do think they offered him a longer better deal, but he opted not to sign....holding out for more $ or the opportunity to test the market. So we shall see how he plays, then how it all goes I guess.....

I think they would sign Mack to a longer deal in a hot second, but dont think he will allow for talks or that option during the season.....he pretty clearly has said he'll wait and see how things go.....honestly dont think he really wants to be here....so, again, I think it'll be a year before we know anything......of course, if we go 8-0 to start he might jump on the band wagon/////

It's all on Duke now......

Not only is he now the only unsigned Brown....he's one of only 12 rookies who isnt signed(which tells me there is some kind of a problem)....so far, 244 out of 256 have signed...

Sooooo......when do we start to wonder wtf?......Because of the pre determined pay scale, the only 2 options I can come up with are:

1) He wants to be the exception and get paid above his draft position

2) He is quibbling about a minor amount of money(2-3% variance)

Personally, as long as he's here and playing, I guess I dont care.....but this type of stuff has a way of recurring with the same people through out their careers and it makes me nervous when everyone else falls in and signs, but our guy doesnt.....so I hope he's not a head case or completely full of himself and it's just a minor stumbling block.....(though I wonder...cause minor problems are usually overcome pretty quickly)....

It's all on Duke now......

Not only is he now the only unsigned Brown....he's one of only 12 rookies who isnt signed(which tells me there is some kind of a problem)....so far, 244 out of 256 have signed...

Sooooo......when do we start to wonder wtf?......Because of the pre determined pay scale, the only 2 options I can come up with are:

1) He wants to be the exception and get paid above his draft position

2) He is quibbling about a minor amount of money(2-3% variance)

Personally, as long as he's here and playing, I guess I dont care.....but this type of stuff has a way of recurring with the same people through out their careers and it makes me nervous when everyone else falls in and signs, but our guy doesnt.....so I hope he's not a head case or completely full of himself and it's just a minor stumbling block.....(though I wonder...cause minor problems are usually overcome pretty quickly)....

All about the Benjamin$ Mud. Take a look at spottrac and I can hear his agent now. "Duke you got drafted by a team that ranks dead last (32nd) in paying RB's and they say they are committed to running the Ball". Slotted RB's may help, but he brings up a fair point on rookie contracts. A high injury position (RB) with a team committed to high usage? The debate is on imo.

All about the Benjamin$ Mud. Take a look at spottrac and I can hear his agent now. "Duke you got drafted by a team that ranks dead last (32nd) in paying RB's and they say they are committed to running the Ball". Slotted RB's may help, but he brings up a fair point on rookie contracts. A high injury position (RB) with a team committed to high usage? The debate is on imo.

I would only argue that all our players are paid in-line with the rookie pay scale....and right now, our signed RB's are 3 young UDFA's and one 3rd rounder....and all 4 are paid to scale.....

So, no matter how much we are paying them as a group....not one is underpaid according to the league wide salaries.....

Udfa's earn minimum....thats just how it is.......and West is a perfect example, because he was drafted at the same 3rd round slot Williams was and signed up no problem.....

High usage should be what a rookie wants....then he can run up some stats and get paid for actual production.....thats how it works in my lil world....;)

Bottom line is that there is a slotted pre-determined cap amount we have available to sign all of our rookies...no more, no less....and now 11 outta 12 are signed, meaning 11 outta 12 bucks are spent.....so, when there are only crumbs left over, it can spell trouble for anyone who shows up late and expects a buffet.........

How can you misspell his name and get it right all in the span of two sentences?

Gip--Right is the Rum and Spelling is the Weak Coke.(Gipson). Mud--I think you got the buffet line down to a fine art.

Good post Gumby! As someone else reminded us recently, Gipson returns from a season ending knee injury. Speaking of Mack, after getting a hefty raise in 2014 - he's also returning from a season ending injury.

Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 1h1 hour ago Ohio, USA

#browns tashaun Gipson held out of practice with a hamstring. Pettine: "it's disappointing to not be here and then show up w/ injury"

Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 9m9 minutes ago

#Browns Tashaun Gipson said he pulled the hamstring training at home in Dallas: "I wanted to be at the physical peak of my career.''

Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 2h2 hours ago Middleburg Heights, OH

#browns RB Duke Johnson is practicing despite not being signed yet, as expected. Deal is close

Archived