THE BROWNS BOARD

Is Brock a keeper?

BrownsfaninPa

they'll be a QB that was picked someowhere in this year's draft that will turn out to be good freshman year in NFL and we'll all be like '##!!%##&@%"!!!!!

i'm guessing if this year's team shows no improvement ( i mean 5 win season) 2018 will be the last of the analytics in cleveland even if they pull a cou in the draft next year.

tiresome and myopic with no advancement equal no dollars in jimmah's pockets = see ya!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of em.....here's more....Matt Schaub found his game in year 6, Gannon found his in year 11, Jaworski = year 6, Alex Smith 8 years, Joe Thiesman 8 years, Brad Johnson 6 years, Steve Young 8 years.....plenty of examples of guys who sat...bounced around....had the 3 year experience tjingy....only did ok(or worse)....then, suddenly, became quality NFL QB's......

and, with only 2 exceptions, all these guys were on their second or third teams before the light came on....

Schaub was behind Vick in Atlanta and was a preseason all-star so the Texans traded for him IIRC. Smith I am not sure when he has flashed, he is decent. He has been on a slow trajectory of crap->mediocre->slightly above average but your team is still looking to replace you. Young I suppose but he was on a horrible team prior to going to the 49ers. Johnson was what I meant by guys that were one year wonders although he had a couple of good seasons.

I am not rooting against Brock (I did that last year). Hope he finds his groove and does well for you guys. I just have never seen the IT factor from him other than a couple plays here and there.

I am not rooting against Brock (I did that last year). Hope he finds his groove and does well for you guys. I just have never seen the IT factor from him other than a couple plays here and there.

Thats cool....I haven't seen it either.....hence, the list of successful QB's who didnt show early....the list is not a prediction, just history

THESE COCKSUCKERS ARE GONNA WIN THE LOMBARDI.

Who said anything about winning the Lombardi, Ghoolie? I did say he would play better, but didn't indicate how many games he would win. We need to see improvement for this team going forward.

If we don't need to draft a QB next year, then we can use the next picks on needs areas of need: WR, CB, LB, and perhaps a QB later in the draft. You can never have too many.

... and, with only 2 exceptions, all these guys were on their second or third teams before the light came on....

... or moved to the right situation/system, and/or got out of a "star's" shadow... In Steve Young's case it was a definite "and" situation.

Terry Pluto has published his usual, level-headed take... the man is a breath of fresh air with his Browns coverage.

Cleveland Browns have Terry Talkin' Brock Osweiler, impressions from OTAs -- Terry Pluto (photos)

Posted on May 27, 2017 at 7:42 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Is the proof in the film?

That question lingered after Brock Osweiler gave his first press conference as a member of the Cleveland Browns.

I was there and was impressed with how the former Houston quarterback handled the questions. It's a tough spot. He is viewed as a throw-in as part of a deal that brought a 2018 second-round pick to the Browns.

Cleveland.com's Doug Lesmerises has taken some heat for pressing Osweiler about why he "absolutely" believes he can be a starting quarterback.

"I think the proof is in the film for the past two years," he said.

As Lesmerises correctly said, others doubt that. It's a fair point.

Osweiler simply replied, "It's OK."

But the big question about Osweiler being a starter and the film is this: Which film?

The film for 2016, when he led the NFL with 16 interceptions and had all kinds of problems adapting to Bill O'Brien's offense in Houston? He was a mess for much of the season. Houston fans were glad to see him go.

Or how about the film from 2015, when he played eight games for Denver? He threw 10 TD passes compared to six interceptions. He completed 62 percent of his throws. He started seven of those games and had a 5-2 record.

What film?

The film in 2016 led most of the NFL to write him off at the age of 26.

The film in 2015 not only inspired Houston to give him a four-year, $72 million deal ($36 million guaranteed), but other teams wanted him.

The film in 2015, along with having him on the team, inspired Denver general manager John Elway to offer Osweiler a three-year, $45 million contract ($20 million guaranteed) for three years.

The film and what happened on the field in 2015 tells Osweiler he can start for some teams. He surely looks at the Browns and believes he can beat out Cody Kessler and rookie DeShone Kizer.

He didn't say that exactly. He did say no one comes to training camp with the goal of being a backup.

If the only existing film on Osweiler came from 2016, I'd agree with his critics. He's probably a lost cause. But at the end of the 2015 season, Osweiler was considered a good pro prospect who'd had some success in Denver's offense.

A LITTLE HISTORY

O'Brien has been the head coach in Houston for three seasons.

He has had eight different starting quarterbacks ... that's right, eight!

Injuries dictated some of the switches. But it's also clear O'Brien can't find a quarterback. Nor has he been able to develop one.

Here's his Big Eight: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Hoyer, Brandon Weeden, Case Keenum, Ryan Mallet, T.J. Yates, Tom Savage and Osweiler.

In three years, he's had three opening day starters: Fitzpatrick (2014), Hoyer (2015) and Osweiler (2016). He pulled Hoyer at the end of three quarters in the 2015 opener.

Rookie Deshaun Watson will probably be the fourth starter in four years.

Osweiler clashed with O'Brien.

While Houston has won a lot more games than the Browns in the last three years, the quarterback situation has been just as chaotic. Very few Houston quarterbacks under O'Brien produced good film.

My view is let's see what Osweiler can do.

Having Kessler open practices as a starter makes sense. He knows the system. Coach Hue Jackson said, "They have to take it from Cody."

But Osweiler deserves the chance to see if he can grab the job, or at least be a very viable backup. It was only a year ago several NFL teams (including Elway in Denver) thought he was much more than that.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2017/05/cleveland_browns_have_terry_ta_120.html

I'm going to post other sections of the article in the appropriate threads.

The future's so bright I gotta wear night vision goggles.

Like in "Silence of the Lambs?"

I have my doubts about Osweiler too, but he's here so the hope is that he's able to shake off his Houston experience. IF he can do that, he should win the job. IF not, it's Kessler until Kizer gets a clue.

I'm not an expert on the Texans situation, but Osweiler reminded me of Weeden...a big arm who struggles to throw a 5 yard touch screen pass.

Just start winning, especially at home, starting September 10th. Whomever is under center will have my support.

I tend to think if Brock was the answer Houston would have held on to him for themselves instead of parting company. I got to watch a couple of Notre Dame games this past year and I thought Kizer looked really good at times particularly when ND played Clemson and he led ND back from a 21- 3 deficit in the second half and they almost pulled it off against Clemson finally losing 24-22. Time will tell if Kizer can develop into an NFL quarterback but he has the potential for sure.

I tend to think if Brock was the answer Houston would have held on to him for themselves instead of parting company. I got to watch a couple of Notre Dame games this past year and I thought Kizer looked really good at times particularly when ND played Clemson and he led ND back from a 21- 3 deficit in the second half and they almost pulled it off against Clemson finally losing 24-22. Time will tell if Kizer can develop into an NFL quarterback but he has the potential for sure.

Of course, someone said that Bill O'Brien has not been able to do shit with the 8 QBs he has had in his system. Is it the QBs? All those 26 names of CLE starting QBs since 1999...and not one went on to anywhere else to perform any better than they did here. So in that case it was the QBs. Or is it O'Brien's system? Or is it O'Brien himself that can't seem to do all that much at coaching QBs well enough to get anything really positive out of them.

they'll be a QB that was picked someowhere in this year's draft that will turn out to be good freshman year in NFL and we'll all be like '##!!%##&@%"!!!!!

i'm guessing if this year's team shows no improvement ( i mean 5 win season) 2018 will be the last of the analytics in cleveland even if they pull a cou in the draft next year.

tiresome and myopic with no advancement equal no dollars in jimmah's pockets = see ya!

I certainly hope you are correct about the Analytic fuckheads being shown the door after this seasons inevitable failure.

I only see Brock staying if he wins the #1 position....and I think Kessler will hold that.....its a simple money ball decision....

You take the equal talent who is cheaper.....the value player.....and that is Kess......

I still see us trading him and absorbing part of the contract to make him more attractive...or cutting him.....

what I dont see is a $16m back up with Depo in the house......

I only see Brock staying if he wins the #1 position....and I think Kessler will hold that.....its a simple money ball decision....

You take the equal talent who is cheaper.....the value player.....and that is Kess......

I still see us trading him and absorbing part of the contract to make him more attractive...or cutting him.....

The problem though is that we are on the hook for that $16 no matter what we do with the guy. The trade to another team with taking some salary could be a viable option, but cutting him still puts us $16 mil in the hole.

This season.. Brady & Glennon both 14M. A.Dalton 15.7M. Alex Smith 16.9M...Talk about a one year prove it season for Brock..Great point Mud,Brock wins the starting job or it's ghum bye ya (No doubt the Texans don't know the true value of a OJ-less Ex-White Bronco)

Pretty much agree with Mud... only thing I'd add is that we will be building his trade value thru TC. Basically attempting a Philly-like move with Bradford.

I look forward to seeing folks here cry if we trade Brock even after he looks the part in preseason...

The problem though is that we are on the hook for that $16 no matter what we do with the guy. The trade to another team with taking some salary could be a viable option, but cutting him still puts us $16 mil in the hole.

And? It's Jimmah's money, if he's cool with it, then so am I. Either way we're still ~$50mm under the cap.

Pretty much agree with Mud... only thing I'd add is that we will be building his trade value thru TC. Basically attempting a Philly-like move with Bradford.

I look forward to seeing folks here cry if we trade Brock even after he looks the part in preseason...

And? It's Jimmah's money, if he's cool with it, then so am I. Either way we're still ~$50mm under the cap.

I promise I wont cry....:)

Agree about the money too.....dont care one iota about how much of Jimmys money we spend.....until he runs out and then we are trapped with a bunch of over paid under performers.....which is a long way off(if ever)

By cutting him, we open the opportunity for another team to sign him.....and one will.....then we only pay the difference......

It will still be a lot.....but not the full tab......even a couple/few mil savings is a lot if your the one paying the tab....

I guess the best possible option is for him to light it up....but if he does, do we keep him?.....considering that monster contract is for 4 years?......doubt it.....

I guess the best possible option is for him to light it up....but if he does, do we keep him?.....considering that monster contract is for 4 years?......doubt it.....

If you mean by lights it up he proves to be a franchise QB, then why wouldn't you pay him? Why would we then get rid of the guy the Browns have wanted for decades?

If you mean by lights it up he proves to be a franchise QB, then why wouldn't you pay him? Why would we then get rid of the guy the Browns have wanted for decades?

I dont know if he can establish that he is a "franchise QB" in just one season.....my take is something like that would take a couple/few years, at best, and the Browns would prefer to pay their developmental guys less and let the high dollar players go elsewhere to develop......I could be wrong tho

Whatever terrible things anyone wants to say about our OL, Denver's is twice as bad. Their offense [both now and when ostrich played there] shows the results [or lack thereof] when you listen to people who think WR's are the solution to the exclusion of everything else.

I'm not sure what to read from ostrich's struggles there -- the most proficient blocks his OL provided were Ole' blocks -- Or in his "inability" to beat out Peyton.

But it's his struggles in Houston with a good-to-sometimes-great OL and a great WR that trouble me. And the corresponding lack of humility/self-reflection he shows in those interviews.

I dont know if he can establish that he is a "franchise QB" in just one season...

Why not? DA did it. ;)

It wouldn't really surprise me at all to read that Brock performs well in drills. He's big and has a nice arm. He's going to look very solid slinging it around out there, I just know it. However, when the live bullets start flying, he'll retreat into his shell. I hope I'm wrong, I really do. Wouldn't it be great to turn this guy into a feel-good story for him and us? But to me, either a QB can process information, or he can't. I never got the impression watching Brock play that he could quickly scan the field and deliver a strike when needed. He never showed me the accuracy, and never showed the composure. This is why I'm still of the belief that Kessler will be the guy, at least to begin with. He can get the ball out quickly, and he is an accurate QB. He was also especially effective against the blitz and pressure.

Cody is far from a perfect candidate, I think we all know that, but I'd be very interested to see Cody play in games where the defense keeps it close and we're allowed to run the ball late in the game. Remember how he looked against Miami and Washington?

Why not? DA did it. ;)

umm, No he didn't. (I see the smirk smiley)

All season long I was saying how much DA stunk. ('course I wasn't on this board at the time).

He would throw these lousy passes to receivers right the freak in front of him. Behind them, at their feet, you name it.....for two thirds of the game. Then he'd hit on some long throws, we'd sneak up on our opponent and win.

I'll never forget the pro bowl he played in. Ocho Cinco was wide open on a short pass and DA didn't throw it anywhere near him. Ocho looked at him and held his arms out to his side as if to say, 'What, you can't hit me standing right here in front of ya?'. And I was like, Nope Ocho. He sucks. He cannot get the ball anywhere near ya unless you're 50 yards down field.

AAAAAAnyway....if the ostrich were to 'light it up' in TC, I don't see HOW the Browns could trade him away. Unless, of course, Kessler or Kizer lit it up even more. Our team NEEDS a QB in the worst way. And if he plays better than the other guys then we'd need our heads examined if we got rid of him.

But that's just my warped thinking.

All season long I was saying how much DA stunk. ('course I wasn't on this board at the time).

He would throw these lousy passes to receivers right the freak in front of him. Behind them, at their feet, you name it.....for two thirds of the game. Then he'd hit on some long throws, we'd sneak up on our opponent and win.

I'll never forget the pro bowl he played in. Ocho Cinco was wide open on a short pass and DA didn't throw it anywhere near him. Ocho looked at him and held his arms out to his side as if to say, 'What, you can't hit me standing right here in front of ya?'. And I was like, Nope Ocho. He sucks. He cannot get the ball anywhere near ya unless you're 50 yards down field.

AAAAAAnyway...

Can I buy this rant in the chowder-head audio version?..Priceless!!LMAO

umm, No he didn't. (I see the smirk smiley)

I'll never forget the pro bowl he played in. Ocho Cinco was wide open on a short pass and DA didn't throw it anywhere near himtha

Once again perhaps my sarcasm was not thick enough... my point was that DA's miracle year (coinciding with BE's) was enough to earn him a "franchise" contract.... not that he made good on/ built upon that performance.

I, also before my presence on this board, went a half step farther than you saying we needed to trade DA, and BE, that off-season.

Once again perhaps my sarcasm was not thick enough... my point was that DA's miracle year (coinciding with BE's) was enough to earn him a "franchise" contract.... not that he made good on/ built upon that performance.

I, also before my presence on this board, went a half step farther than you saying we needed to trade DA, and BE, that off-season.

I would venture to say that had we kept DA for the Long Haul and spent all those Hide draft choices on other key players we'd be way ahead of where we are.

WSS

By cutting him, we open the opportunity for another team to sign him.....and one will.....then we only pay the difference......

It will still be a lot.....but not the full tab......even a couple/few mil savings is a lot if your the one paying the tab....

Seriously asking, is that how it would work? It's been my impression that the money is guaranteed to be paid by the Browns unless we trade him and as part of the trade a salary deal is worked out. Any other outcome (cut, benched, w/e) means we owe him $16 mil.

If we cut Brock, we owe him the entire $16 million, as it is fully guaranteed...so you're correct. However, I don't see us "cutting him" now. I think we wanted to see for ourselves what made the guy tick, and it's pretty obvious that Hue likes the guy, and he's not the epic pain in the ass that many thought he was. This could all change mind you, but it could go to show just how different coaches can be. I'm sure many of us played sports, and I'm also sure we all had coaches we jived with, and others we didn't. Regardless of how good his defenses were, the guy still got to the damn playoffs two years in a row, with two different teams. That has to mean SOMETHING. If Cody truly is our #1, then it makes no sense to cut a guy with starting (winning) experience, especially since the other guy is a rookie (sorry Hogan).

But say things go sideways, and we do cut him. We pay the guy $16 million dollars and wish him well. As much as that hurts, it's not going to kill us because we still have the 2nd round (and first round btw) pick from the Texans. I also want people to think about where those picks could be. I'm not so sure the Texans are going to win anywhere NEAR the same amount of games. Their two best defenders, while dominant, have a NASTY injury history. And while they still won a bunch of games without Watt, I don't see them winning without both Watt and Clowney. And it's very possible both of those guys miss time. Even if they are both healthy, look at the Texans' QB situation. They could win 10 games, or they could win 4. I'm serious...I don't think they're that good at all.

Their two best defenders, while dominant, have a NASTY injury history.

In the playoff game ending the Texans 2015 season, Watt finished the game with no less than 5 torn muscles. Yes, he had some injuries [everyone at the line gets injured] but until this past season he was able to perform while playing through them. He got re-injured this past season due [not shockingly] to rehabbing too hard following the 2015 season. Frankly, my early money in Vegas is on Watt winning both DPOY and Comeback POY.

Joe Thomas put himself on the injury list with a receding hairline, so both sides do it.

Of course, someone said that Bill O'Brien has not been able to do shit with the 8 QBs he has had in his system. Is it the QBs? All those 26 names of CLE starting QBs since 1999...and not one went on to anywhere else to perform any better than they did here. So in that case it was the QBs. Or is it O'Brien's system? Or is it O'Brien himself that can't seem to do all that much at coaching QBs well enough to get anything really positive out of them.

Good point and hoping that is the case here and maybe Hue will have better success in developing him.

As for the Browns qb's since 99 I think we can lay claim to having some of the best back up qb's in the league during that time which is the good news and the bad is they were our starters.

Archived