THE BROWNS BOARD

Bad fuel?

bbedward

There's a class action lawsuit I saw out there for these tensioners, but it's not much worry to me. I'll get the revised one and either new valves or a new cylinder head. They alluded to it being cheaper to just replace the cylinder head than machining/replacing the valves though

Just curious are you going to sign on with the class action if it's still open? Doesn't cost anything and you might get something....eventually.

I bought a 1970 Honda Scrambler 350 in January but Honda was passing off late 1969 models off as 1970s...I didn't care I liked the 1969 style much better.

Well after a LONG wait I got my check for... $7.47. Oh well. But you might have much more at stake!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious are you going to sign on with the class action if it's still open? Doesn't cost anything and you might get something....eventually.

I bought a 1970 Honda Scrambler 350 in January but Honda was passing off late 1969 models off as 1970s...I didn't care I liked the 1969 style much better.

Well after a LONG wait I got my check for... $7.47. Oh well. But you might have much more at stake!

Yea I got some paperwork from the law firm to join the suit as a plaintiff. Won't take much and I'll happily take a check for whatever if it happens.

Total bill ~$4200

Rebuilt cylinder head with stuff like: new intake/exhaust valves, new rocker arms, new head gasket, new cam follower. Plus other gaskets (like intake/exhaust mani/TB), new timing chain kit (chain, guides, tensioner, cover), plus oil filter housing (? not sure why but whatever, my oil filter is in the engine bay facing down), and new fluids and other misc. crap of course.

Holy smokes! Some list of parts and work because of a timing chain plus $4,200, whew!

Total bill ~$4200

Rebuilt cylinder head with stuff like: new intake/exhaust valves, new rocker arms, new head gasket, new cam follower. Plus other gaskets (like intake/exhaust mani/TB), new timing chain kit (chain, guides, tensioner, cover), plus oil filter housing (? not sure why but whatever, my oil filter is in the engine bay facing down), and new fluids and other misc. crap of course.

Should've shopped around that's way too high. If you ain't flipping the bill fuck it though.

Holy smokes! Some list of parts and work because of a timing chain plus $4,200, whew!

I had to pay just under $500 due to discrepancies in what the warranty would pay.

Still not a big deal, I'm not footing the vast majority of the bill (it was really like ~$4800 including the teardown of which I paid about $500 including deductible)

Those German valves (OEM, at least) cost something like $50 each which is absolutely insane IMO - but that's over $800 for all the intake/exhaust valves alone. Warranty company was only willing to pay $25/valve

Ditto with the timing stuff, $850 for the full timing chain (upper and lower), tensioners, guides, new cover. Warranty only willing to pay like $450.

But the part prices were for OEM and not aftermarket - I double checked with the dealer and they were accurate. Warranty company apparently wasn't willing to foot the bill for OEM stuff but I wanted it because why fuck around with Chinese junk when it comes to engine internals.

But $50 per valve...that one blew my mind (double checked local dealer, thats what they charge. Actually more like $56 per intake valve and $51 per exhaust valve)

And 21 hours labor total, which is just a shade under 2 grand.

And warranty was able to switch the billing account on my rental car to their own - so they're paying way more than I paid for the warranty so I can't complain

I paid like $1800 for the extended warranty, getting about $5000 worth of stuff

You came out smelling like a rose buddy.

I'll be pretty happy with a rebuilt top end for $500, can spend money on more fun stuff for the car and not have to worry too much.

It is a nice car, one of the more fun ones I've driven. Plus the ECU can be reprogrammed to up the boost and shit which I'd be more comfortable doing with a brand new top end.

Though a new clutch probably has to come before any of that.

And I asked for them to let me keep the tensioner (for the class action lawsuit purposes, they're replacing it with the revised part)

I also asked to keep the valves just because, bent valves make a nice souvenir.

Yeah a pile of souvenirs maybe you can make some ashtrays or paperweights with them.

Yes I'd keep the tensioners and any other parts at least for now but when you sign on with the class action suits you all will probably just get a straight equal payout....if the class action is ruled in your favor as a group. Generally they take time to resolve.

Yeah a pile of souvenirs maybe you can make some ashtrays or paperweights with them.

Yes I'd keep the tensioners and any other parts at least for now but when you sign on with the class action suits you all will probably just get a straight equal payout....if the class action is ruled in your favor as a group. Generally they take time to resolve.

Probably a $10 check will show up one day in 3 years, if anything. I'm ok with it though.

Probably a $10 check will show up one day in 3 years, if anything. I'm ok with it though.

I'm guessing way more north of $10 but won't guess on the 3 years part.

And I asked for them to let me keep the tensioner (for the class action lawsuit purposes, they're replacing it with the revised part)

I also asked to keep the valves just because, bent valves make a nice souvenir.

I saved a broken defrost blend door from my wifes Chev Cruze that wasnt covered by my ext, warranty plan

( but heater core covered... same labor!)

TSB / recall list on this car is larger than santas.....

hoping that part gets on the naughty list too

Archived