THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Gameday Thread

Zombo

In Shanahan's offense you have to run the ball to setup the play action pass, period. I can't believe you guys can't grasp this. The play action pass, stops QB pressure and gives Hoyer time. If you really want to look at the scheme look at Hoyer's numbers on play action throws vs. straight dropbacks. He wouldn't be in the NFL without the play action.

www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000412387/article/kyle-shanahan-behind-brian-hoyers-browns-success

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

people are talking about the loss of OL starters. i say the loss of rhuybin and taylor hurt us more.

the game was ugly, we all know it could turn out that way with all the hype and the MKC driven drivel about hoyer and his contract demands.........ultimate trap game and the browns were like the mouse in mousetrap.

IMO the worst game they've played this year by far.

if pettine as any testosterone left in his hairless body they'll be ready to wreck next week. everyone with a decision to make from the sidelines to the QB fucked up royally today.

BUT i'm really getting tired of the negative rushing plays. -2, -4. i mean what are the browns, TR redeux?

Mik we actually played worse in the first half of both the Pitt 1 & Tenn games...We actually still had a solid shot at winning this one until Poyers' brain fart(How the fuck do you field a punt at the 2??? you learn that shit in peewee!!!) as bad as this game was... no fumbled punt and this game is still one we could have come back and won.

Tour2 ya gotta admit with the points being scored his completion percentage (giving the Browns were dead last in drops going into this game) is low and 7 TDs don't jump off the page. I still believe he has the ability to be an Alex Smith type player given the right environment. The question, is Cleveland ever going to be that environment?

After this game it's low... but after ass-kicking it's going to be.

Prior to this game... How many percentage points is an INT worth? When you are league leader in rushing TDs, the passing total is likely going to be low.

No reason we cannot be "that environ"... we just cannot expect it to show up tomorrow...

I think Shanahan could've at least put Crowell in on some sweeps, run AWAY from McQuistan, but Jags D line played terrific.

3 FUCKING PICKS, 6 points.

Two(-ish) 4th down attempts... zero points...

Actually looks like the way to hide your wide-zone weakness is to run in its direction, not away from it. Counterintuitive as hell, but that's what we seemed to do last week...

In Shanahan's offense you have to run the ball to setup the play action pass, period. I can't believe you guys can't grasp this. The play action pass, stops QB pressure and gives Hoyer time. If you really want to look at the scheme look at Hoyer's numbers on play action throws vs. straight dropbacks. He wouldn't be in the NFL without the play action.

www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000412387/article/kyle-shanahan-behind-brian-hoyers-browns-success

Exactly... JAX never respected the run.... never were in fear of their ability to stop ours. Then they bit less on PA as any team this year. All goes hand in hand.

Add in one more factor... when were caught without a pass rush, they did not try to generate a serious one. They just played "volleyball".

Pretty damn good game plan executed very well.

That's the offense not Hoyer. We kept doing play action and didn't establish the run. This showed when hoyer did a boot leg left and the defensive end had no respect for it and smacked him in his jaw. When the opposite side safety and DE respect the run, then yes the PA to the opposite side of the fake will give you time to throw.

The play calling wasn't good today (amongst other things). To say that Hoyer wouldn't be in the NFL without the PA (really you should say without Shanahan's offense) is pretty dumb as I remember he looked pretty good under a very different offensive scheme last year.

We're not going to see Manziel after one bad game - where everybody looked bad. Get over it. Can Manziel stop Denard Robinson from rushing 100+? If so I'm all for him playing...

Just a very depressing loss. Depressing because a) the Jags are a bad team, and good teams are supposed to beat bad teams.

Save the "any given Sunday" horseshit. With a 3 game stretch against really bad teams in front of us and an opportunity to carve our

own destiny, we come out flat and unready to play. Completely unacceptable. Offense was a no-show and can someone please tell

me why the fuck we can't find someone to return punts who doesn't have his head shoved up his ass? Sorry, I saw nothing today for

anyone to be encouraged about.

We're still at .500 and still in the hunt. The Jags aren't as bad as their 1-6 record indicates. They're starting to turn the tide also. It just sucks they had to start to gel this week.

Go Browns!

thanks, for real. a big shot of optimism is what we all need after that clusterfuck.

That's the offense not Hoyer. We kept doing play action and didn't establish the run. This showed when hoyer did a boot leg left and the defensive end had no respect for it and smacked him in his jaw. When the opposite side safety and DE respect the run, then yes the PA to the opposite side of the fake will give you time to throw.

The play calling wasn't good today (amongst other things). To say that Hoyer wouldn't be in the NFL without the PA (really you should say without Shanahan's offense) is pretty dumb as I remember he looked pretty good under a very different offensive scheme last year.

We're not going to see Manziel after one bad game - where everybody looked bad. Get over it. Can Manziel stop Denard Robinson from rushing 100+? If so I'm all for him playing...

I really question whether people in here actually watch the games in 2013 Hoyer completed 59% to the tune of 5 TDs and 3 INTs with a QBR 47.5 and a rating of 82.5, hardly hall of fame stats. No team was clamoring to trade for Hoyer in the offseason either. I get liking the guy because he has a winning record for the Browns but let's not act as if he is anything other than a the 21st QB in the league.

Hoyer and Thad Lewis had similar numbers last year

shows how crucial Mack was. We shouldn't fuck around with good offensive lineman, get em here and pay em so we don't have to waste years watching Bitonio, McQuistan and Scwartz ushering defensive lineman into the backfield like a Maitre D at a high class restaurant.

nice post.

I really question whether people in here actually watch the games in 2013 Hoyer completed 59% to the tune of 5 TDs and 3 INTs with a QBR 47.5 and a rating of 82.5, hardly hall of fame stats. No team was clamoring to trade for Hoyer in the offseason either. I get liking the guy because he has a winning record for the Browns but let's not act as if he is anything other than a the 21st QB in the league.

One of those games was an impressive victory against a division rival. The other one he led a 4th quarter comeback to win us the game. He'll never be the best, but he tends to make good decisions and has been mostly accurate. 1 INT in 100 attempts (matching only aaron rodgers) going into today...More important is he has won us games and he sure as hell isn't even close to the only reason we lost today.

Liking the only QB who has a winning record as a Brown since 99' is a good enough reason for me.

But...ignoring every other fault with our team and saying we should put in a 5'11 rookie QB who hasn't proven anything, but somehow he will solve all our problems while we're still in contention seems to be the best answer, huh :)

Are you one of the guys who wanted to put Manziel in at half time every game we were down this year?

One of those games was an impressive victory against a division rival. The other one he led a 4th quarter comeback to win us the game. He'll never be the best, but he tends to make good decisions and has been mostly accurate. 1 INT in 100 attempts (matching only aaron rodgers) going into today...More important is he has won us games and he sure as hell isn't even close to the only reason we lost today.

Liking the only QB who has a winning record as a Brown since 99' is a good enough reason for me.

But...ignoring every other fault with our team and saying we should put in a 5'11 rookie QB who hasn't proven anything, but somehow he will solve all our problems while we're still in contention seems to be the best answer, huh :)

If you've read anything I have said in here, I think Manziel is gonna stink. I'd just rather see what he's got during a season where 8-8 or 7-9 is the ceiling so the team can move forward next year with Hoyer or someone else.

If you've read anything I have said in here, I think Manziel is gonna stink. I'd just rather see what he's got during a season where 8-8 or 7-9 is the ceiling so the team can move forward next year with Hoyer or someone else.

It's quite possible that by tomorrow night, we are 1 of 3 teams in our division that have 3 wins (Ravens excluded) We are not at the point of "well, let's just see what we got and plan for next year" yet.

It's quite possible that by tomorrow night, we are 1 of 3 teams in our division that have 3 wins (Ravens excluded) We are not at the point of "well, let's just see what we got and plan for next year" yet.

If we wait until week 10 when the team is 4-6 it may be too late. Regardless of Pittsburgh's troubles we will have to beat Baltimore once and Cincy twice most likely.

Thinking over the game, it's simple to see why we lost today. I can't think of a time when the Jaguars didn't have 7+ in the box. That type of defense SCREAMS for the pass, and we can't deny Hoyer absolutely didn't answer that call today. This has to concern all of us because any good coach will see this game and know that's how you beat the Browns.

Part of it of course was play-calling, I'm going to have nightmares about that 4th and 5 read option bullshit. But you have to complete passes to open guys and they have to catch them.

Look, I'm not upset just because we lost a game. I knew before today's game that we're not yet a playoff caliber team. But for the love of god, is it too much to expect a group of professional's to at least show up and compete? I'm sorry, but what we witnessed today was shades of The Factory of Sadness. Hell, Cincinnati got abused today but at least they were playing the fucking Colts! Late in the first half Hoyer had 7 completion's for 88 yards. We regressed badly today . It was a terrible loss to one of the two worst teams in the NFL.

mark my words: this loss will haunt us for the rest of the season.

... or at least until Halloween...

shows how crucial Mack was. We shouldn't fuck around with good offensive lineman, get em here and pay em so we don't have to waste years watching Bitonio, McQuistan and Scwartz ushering defensive lineman into the backfield like a Maitre D at a high class restaurant.

Bito in that group? Really? Bito?

Then there's this thing called a salary cap...

Thinking over the game, it's simple to see why we lost today. I can't think of a time when the Jaguars didn't have 7+ in the box. That type of defense SCREAMS for the pass, and we can't deny Hoyer absolutely didn't answer that call today. This has to concern all of us because any good coach will see this game and know that's how you beat the Browns.

Part of it of course was play-calling, I'm going to have nightmares about that 4th and 5 read option bullshit. But you have to complete passes to open guys and they have to catch them.

I can think of several times there were as few as 5... but I'll include a count in the O-line effort this week.

And it was an old-time, sprint run-option... no read...

... also no intention... as in impromptu...

I can think of several times there were as few as 5... but I'll include a count in the O-line effort this week.

And it was an old-time, sprint run-option... no read...

... also no intention... as in impromptu...

I'll be interested to see what you figure out there. Of course I'm just speaking in general terms but it felt like 70% of the time the box was stacked.

In fairness, our offensive line was in a really good state with Mack. They played as good as any group in the league. JT, Bitonio, Mack, Greco, and even Schwartz were all playing pretty solid. I think Greco will turn out to be a good fill-in for Mack.

Really, we have taken care of our O-line. Bitonio was a good pick, we paid Mack. What we really need is more depth, but so does any team really.

Just watched both pressers on Browns.com. I guess my eyes deceived me today. According to Hoyer it wasn't poor play by the O the Jags have the greatest defense in history. I mean it's not as if the Colts hung 44 on them or the Chargers scored 33 and oh wait the Redskins threw 41 on this D that rivals the 85 Bears. What a fucking joke!

Archived