THE BROWNS BOARD

Next up.....Jags

Mudfly

Ok....time to stop basking in the glow of last weeks win and start to look forward to the next game in Jacksonville. I know a LOT of people already have this one(and the next few, ftm) in the bag, but Im more of a "one game at a time" type....so, let's have it....

Cliches: Let's get THESE out of the way first.....this is a trap game....on any given Sunday blah blah blah.....the most dangerous animal is blah blah blah......the difference between good teams and bad teams is blah blah blah.....

Ok, now onto the DEEP analysis...

Quick Analysis: After reviewing game tape and all the nuances of both Jacksonvilles offensive game and defensive, I have concluded beyond a shadow of doubt that they completely suck. Plain and simple.

Team strengths: None. ....but IF we're gonna pick something, it's their D line, which plays into our strength at O line and running. I dont see them stopping us. I do see the Browns rushing for 200+ yards though.

Team Weaknesses: Offense(32nd) & Defense(30th).....the D allowed 31- 41- 44- 33 points in the first 4 games. They did hold the Squealer Offense to 10 pts(hahaha) and Tenn to 14, but all the 'good' teams they played crushed them.

Bortles: Blakey Boy is playing well and moving the ball. Not so much scoring though. Lots of dink and dunk short stuff and lots of interceptions & sacks. His lack of experience will REALLY show when the Browns start throwing up confusing fronts and crazy blitzes. If we confused Brees and Rapistburger, then Blake shouldn't be able to figure it out either. Look for him to throw some pics and eat sod.

They are giving up a massive amount of sacks.....Washington had 10 against them and Tenn had 6.....WOW!....With Bortles throwing pics and getting sacked at a high rate, I expect MASSIVE blitzing and lots of fun. Looking for our pics and sack #'s to go up this week!!!

Intangibles: I didn't spend any real time on the X's and O's, as we are a stronger team across the board. On paper, we "should" win all phases of this game. So comparing all positions would be a mute point. But, looking at the cliches, we could meet a difficult challenge if these guys decide to win a game. I think the Browns will show up in the right frame of mind.....and not over confident. The Jags could be broken spirits OR they could be mad. Not sure what their character is yet. But, I suspect if we knock them in the teeth FAST, they will go down easy. But, If we allow them to get into the game, then they may try to win. Can't let that happen.

Prediction: I say we go down there and enjoy the benefit of another stadium loaded with Browns fans.....and win with authority.....and the D scores too.....Browns 41 - Jags 13

I was surprised we are only for 4 point favorites ... which means Vegas thinks were are 7 points better. We should win by ten or more. I thought Jax would be an improved team this year, after the way they ended the season last year, bu the run game has been bad, Bortles is learning on the job and the defense is a disappointment.

Then again, I thought we would wax them last there ... but we weren't a real team then.

Zombo

If the staff gets any sense that the team has a hangover or is taking JAX too lightly, the TN game is still a recent memory...

Add in the injury situation...

Should be more than enough to remind the team that they are not that good...

... yet...

Thanks for the analysis. I was just starting to think about the game this weekend and I realized that outside of MAYBE 4 players (fantasy football guys) I knew nothing about the Jags. I know it's cliche, but I do have some concern about playing down to their level after a huge rivalry win. It's seemingly good though to have lost the guys last week we did as we have a chance to build chemistry against a weaker team. I really hope the defense continues building momentum off of last week's win as well as these next three weeks could REALLY boost moral in that group.

I see this game being closer than what it should be early, but foresee a win 31-17 win.

4 point favorites? Think I'm gonna bet that.

Jacksonville sucks. We should have smashed them last year. We are much better (we no longer have Weeden) they are not. We should win easy.

I hope we throttle them and build on our confidence and don't get too confident. I don't see that happening but until we throw more complete games together (and not just great halves) I'll be cautious.

I'll take 31-13

I have actually watched two Jaguars games in their entirety this season (the only AFC game on in this area and the wife refuses to have a sat dish on the house). They are without question the worst NFL team I have ever watched. The have no one who is an offensive threat outside of Bortles and if you can name half the guys that start for them on defense off the top of your head (no Google, no rosters) I'd buy you a steak. The O-line is unbelievably bad... I actually thought that they might hold Bortles out this season just to save him from getting his ass kicked every week. The craziest part of this week's game is on the local radio down here before the season started, there were people legitimately talking about the Jags making the playoffs. And not just drunk call-ins... there were dudes who are paid to work at radio stations who actually believed the Jags could make the playoffs this year.

I have actually watched two Jaguars games in their entirety this season (the only AFC game on in this area and the wife refuses to have a sat dish on the house). They are without question the worst NFL team I have ever watched. The have no one who is an offensive threat outside of Bortles and if you can name half the guys that start for them on defense off the top of your head (no Google, no rosters) I'd buy you a steak. The O-line is unbelievably bad... I actually thought that they might hold Bortles out this season just to save him from getting his ass kicked every week. The craziest part of this week's game is on the local radio down here before the season started, there were people legitimately talking about the Jags making the playoffs. And not just drunk call-ins... there were dudes who are paid to work at radio stations who actually believed the Jags could make the playoffs this year.

Still possible, just win out after the Browns beat them 27-17

I was surprised we are only for 4 point favorites ... which means Vegas thinks were are 7 points better.

Zombo

4 point favorites? Think I'm gonna bet that.

It's creeping up.... should be 7 by the end of week....right now betting is strong on the Browns, so many odds are at 5 to 6 and climbing....

It's creeping up.... should be 7 by the end of week....right now betting is strong on the Browns, so many odds are at 5 to 6 and climbing....

The experienced gamblers will throw down $$ early and that will force that line up a fair bit very soon.

Edit: this game worries me from an offensive stand point. We won't miss Mack so much in the run game, but pass protection will suffer. Last I checked, the Jags have a pretty good pass rush as well.

I guess the result of this game goes hand in hand with Mike Pettine and this staff's coaching this week.

If these coaches are as good as we think, this game shouldn't be close.

I believe that the coach's success is already showing in spades...

The fact that we got our asses handed to us in the first half at Pitts and Tenn, then came out and kicked their asses, SHOWS me that this team has character...and I think it's the coaching......last year we kicked ass in the first 1/2, then lost....over and over again...

And after that record setting come back in Tenn, you'd almost expect a let down. But, no....We came home, worked hard, showed improvement and had our best game yet...kicking the crap out of pitts

So...all this, plus the home opener - Pitts losing streaks broken.....tells me Pettine looks like the man...

Just read that Williams is probably a no go with his concussion.

Time for Gilbert to step up. Big game for him.

Hurns has elite speed and Shorts showed us last year he can give Haden fits.

Better score early and often

Gilbert will have an interception and step up this game. Rookie learning curve, that's all, he'll be fine.

As all Browns fans know, we can never make these type of games look easy. Bortles not good with pressure in his face, but were not getting enough from our D either. Lots of screens, Shorts lll, Hurns good 2nd WR. Cover clean and must tackle. Bortles 3 turnovers BROWNS 24 Rags 16. Go Dawgs!!

Local radio predicting a Jags win this weekend... however, the only rationale that could be given was "The Jags have to win a game sometime, why not this one?"

They don't have to win sometime.

Z

I've already seen Reporters breaking down the Browns vs Tampa (by passing the Raider game) already.

If the Team gets anything like this is their heads, plus a possible let down after a big victory, this could be a really tough game.

I still don't know what our D is really going to be like, with all the injuries it's even harder to get a good read.

This is another road game too, so we still need to build some momentum on winning those - Tenn was the first in a year.

I agree that the D is a question mark, but I still feel like going into this week, it will be enough to contain the Jags. The already horrible Jags running game may be worse for wear this week (according to reports Toby Gerhart missed practice again yesterday). Bortles has shown glimpses of pretty good quarterback play, especially if you account for the awful line in front of him; but he has also shown the tendency to make some bad rookie mistakes and it ends up costing his team in the form of interceptions and missed opportunities. I hope that the Browns come to town with the mentality that they are the superior team (something that we've not been able to say very often) and go about the business of crushing any hope the Jags have from the get-go.

I agree that the D is a question mark, but I still feel like going into this week, it will be enough to contain the Jags. The already horrible Jags running game may be worse for wear this week (according to reports Toby Gerhart missed practice again yesterday). Bortles has shown glimpses of pretty good quarterback play, especially if you account for the awful line in front of him; but he has also shown the tendency to make some bad rookie mistakes and it ends up costing his team in the form of interceptions and missed opportunities. I hope that the Browns come to town with the mentality that they are the superior team (something that we've not been able to say very often) and go about the business of crushing any hope the Jags have from the get-go.

Yea the D shouldn't have any issues with the jags offense. They just don't have enough there

Archived