THE BROWNS BOARD

If Brian Hoyer never got injured.. Would Banner and Co. still be here?

Adoug319

Chud might have stayed, but Banner and Bardi would have bickered their way out of town sooner or later.

I am liking Pettine and wanted Farmer all along, so glad it worked out the way it did.

• Chud stays for sure as 7-9 or better would have shown progress.
  • I see Banner gone as he was almost forced upon Haslam by the league. While Jimmah may be not be full-blown "Jerrah hands-on" type, he's not a full arm's-length guy... and Banner was an arm-length plus between Jimmah and control of his new business...
  • Lombo might have stayed by virtue of the TR fleecing of the Colts alone, but... Wasn't it Lombo that wanted Hoyer in Cleveland?
  • Which means Farmer would be in South Beach...
Makes last year's pain completely worth it...

I doubt it.

I don't blame Brandon Weeden or Jason Campbell for the defence sucking as badly as it did last year or the absolute absence of a running game or the stellar play of bess and little. It's not Brian Hoyers fireworks winning any of these games, it's the addition of three above average backs and a very good guard which facilitates the running game.

Who were Hoyer's RB's in his two wins? His WRs?

I hear you, much better team this year, but the total of Brian's decision making plus his play-action skills far exceed any QB he's rostered with since he's been a Brown.

I think we'd have won more in 2013 with him for 14 starts.

Based on history, "if" he won a Super Bowl, he would go from good/average pro to HOFer god in a blink of an eye. There are so many QB's who won SB's and weren't really that great statistically. If you go by QB rating, it's pretty clear. FWIW Hoyers lifetime rating is 80.

Top 5 SB winner lifetime ratings: Rodgers 104, P. Manning 97, Young 97, Brady 95 and Brees 95

Worst 5 SB winner lifetime ratings: Namath 65, Plunkett 67, Williams, 69, Dilfer 70, Bradshaw 71

In fact, Bradshaw had a lower lifetime rating than Grossman does. Now THAT is funny.

The top 5 are clearly all-time great QB's, because they won their whole careers and performed well always. But beyond that group, the rest of the SB winners had fairly standard pro careers statistically and average passer ratings. Granted, they won when it counted. Cant take that away. But a lot of them just benefitted from being on great teams.

With the right team, no doubt Hoyer could win one.

The "passer rating" system is a bit bogus because it indeed elevates players that are part of a system of play. Look at the Top 20 in the passer rating system:

1 Aaron Rodgers 104.93

2 Peyton Manning 97.22

3 Steve Young* 96.81

4 Philip Rivers 95.97

5 Tony Romo 95.78

6 Tom Brady 95.73

7 Drew Brees 95.26

8 Kurt Warner 93.71

9 Ben Roethlisberger 92.59

10 Joe Montana* 92.26

11 Matt Ryan 90.63

12 Chad Pennington 90.14

13 Matt Schaub 89.78

14 Daunte Culpepper 87.78

15 Jeff Garcia 87.54

16 Dan Marino* 86.38

17T Trent Green 86.03

17T Brett Favre 86.03

19 Carson Palmer 85.90

20 David Garrard 85.86 -

Half of them are active. All but a couple had their careers in the 90s or later. Passer rating fits only the current system, it cannot judge the quality of pre-1990 QBs.

Archived