THE BROWNS BOARD

If Brian Hoyer never got injured.. Would Banner and Co. still be here?

Adoug319

No they would still be gone...too much bickering between the higher ups to make anything good come of it...Banner wanted Gordon gone in a trade and mike and chud wanted to keep him. they would never get along or agree so would just drag our team down in a trickle down effect. Just my opinion however

No they would still be gone...too much bickering between the higher ups to make anything good come of it...Banner wanted Gordon gone in a trade and mike and chud wanted to keep him. they would never get along or agree so would just drag our team down in a trickle down effect. Just my opinion however

True, but maybe only part of them would be gone and Haslam would chose to work/side with half the staff.

Great topic/question ... strange how things work out.

Cripes guys, we've ONLY won one game ... haha

True, but maybe only part of them would be gone and Haslam would chose to work/side with half the staff.

Great topic/question ... strange how things work out.

Cripes guys, we've ONLY won one game ... haha

Very true but I shudder to think of whos side he would have chosen.

One of the better forums i have been too in awhile..

stan.

2 new avatars within 48 hours but you put the same old sig pic up?

where's the kardashian ass with the browns' stamp on her ass?

Yeah, can't decide on a new Gayvatar look. Was hoping for a disguise that know one would recognize me ... the new me!

The Sig line ain't mine, I borrowed KSHutchins until she recovers.

I obviously was not here for the previous regime, but I do know for sure I like one that really does stand for and backs up, "Play Like A Brown". A no loser mentality is what this team needed, regardless of score. Play your best every play, never give up or give in, never look at the scoreboard to determine how much effort goes into the game. Same high effort every play!

Chud might have stayed, but Banner and Bardi would have bickered their way out of town sooner or later.

I am liking Pettine and wanted Farmer all along, so glad it worked out the way it did.

Lombardi did not help his status as "World's Worst Drafter" with his one draft in Cleveland unless Mingo can ultimately stay on the field and be a #6 overall type impact player. Although, Armonty Bryant looks like a 7th round steal ... He must have let Farmer take over in the 7th while he took a dump.

Zombo

Interesting to think about, but I'd tend to agree that it appeared Haslam and the front office were on a collision path. Owner of the team is going to win that battle, but it might have been delayed. I hated this old group but at the end of the day they did get top value for dead weight (Richardson), found a QB who doesn't totally suck the wiener in Hoyer, and a steal in Bryant. If Mingo pans out hopefully we can at least not look at that draft as the worst ever. All and all I'm glad that relationship ended but at least they didn't storm out leaving the team dysfunctional.

Interesting to think about, but I'd tend to agree that it appeared Haslam and the front office were on a collision path. Owner of the team is going to win that battle, but it might have been delayed. I hated this old group but at the end of the day they did get top value for dead weight (Richardson), found a QB who doesn't totally suck the wiener in Hoyer, and a steal in Bryant. If Mingo pans out hopefully we can at least not look at that draft as the worst ever. All and all I'm glad that relationship ended but at least they didn't storm out leaving the team dysfunctional.

If it's any indication of the future, Pettine wanted to draft Mingo when he was with the Bills but the Browns got him. Anyway, even if Hoyer didn't get hurt, I don't think Chud could've taken this team past 500 because he seemed too soft on the players and didn't have the toughness Pettine brings to the team.

Personally, I think Haslam was gonna cut them almost from day 1 and just used Banner just to get his team organized & up and running....

When he bought the team, he needed "someone" who had already run one and the choices were limited......Banner was available and had the skills to get it going, allowing JH to stay focused on his company and it's issues....and I think he was planning to change them up as soon as the "right" people became available(or obvious).......

And, Ill add that I was not at all surprised when Chud was fired. I know a lot of people stood by him due to injuries, etc.....but, to me, he looked like a loser. He hung his head instead of fighting back . And, by the end of the season, he had totally lost his team. And I think JH couldn't stand the loser mentality or the Banner/Lombardi smugness and(by then) knew he had Farmer......

So....if Hoyer had played the whole season....."maybe" Chud still has his job, but I think Banner/Lombardi were gone no matter what....

I obviously was not here for the previous regime, but I do know for sure I like one that really does stand for and backs up, "Play Like A Brown". A no loser mentality is what this team needed, regardless of score. Play your best every play, never give up or give in, never look at the scoreboard to determine how much effort goes into the game. Same high effort every play!

So, why don't we just call this season the Galaxy Quest season?

I doubt it.

I don't blame Brandon Weeden or Jason Campbell for the defence sucking as badly as it did last year or the absolute absence of a running game or the stellar play of bess and little. It's not Brian Hoyers fireworks winning any of these games, it's the addition of three above average backs and a very good guard which facilitates the running game.

WSS

I doubt it.

I don't blame Brandon Weeden or Jason Campbell for the defence sucking as badly as it did last year or the absolute absence of a running game or the stellar play of bess and little. It's not Brian Hoyers fireworks winning any of these games, it's the addition of three above average backs and a very good guard which facilitates the running game.

WSS

Exactly. Let me be the bad guy here and remind everyone that Hoyer's skill set is one of a backup QB in the NFL. Our running game has seen significant improvement, and that is why we beat the Saints. Hoyer did nothing special, and would have been picked off had we played against a good secondary.

BTW if those two idiots were still around, we would have seen Manziel or twatwater at 4 with no extra first rounder

Exactly. Let me be the bad guy here and remind everyone that Hoyer's skill set is one of a backup QB in the NFL. Our running game has seen significant improvement, and that is why we beat the Saints. Hoyer did nothing special, and would have been picked off had we played against a good secondary.

BTW if those two idiots were still around, we would have seen Manziel or twatwater at 4 with no extra first rounder

I think it may be too early to tell if Hoyer's skill set is that of a backup or not. In year's past it was believed that it took a QB about 5 years to develop into a starting NFL QB. That changed when early round draft picks, expecially QBs began making piles of cash.

Hoyer is in his 6th season now. His chance to be a starter came last year in his 5th year, but injuries curtailed that. The guy many are comparing him to is Brian Sipe. He too did not become a starter until his 5th season. So, for each of those guys, a 4-5 year "training period" became necessary. And who knows, perhaps Hoyer will have a Brian Sipe career.

But no, he hasn't been a Dan Marino, proven to be a quality starter from day one in the league.. But that does not mean he cannot become a quality starter from Day 1826 in the league. Others have. And you cannot hold the fact that Sipe was drafted and Hoyer was not, as Sipe was a 13th rounder, the 330th pick. Today only about 250 draft picks are made, so Hoyer probably would have been drafted had there been that many rounds.

Trent Dilfer and Rex Grossman are Super Bowl quarterbacks.

Neither one good elevate a bad or mediocre team to the upper echelon.

WSS

David Woodley, Stan Humphries, Joe Kapp, Vince Ferragamo, Chris Miller, Brad Johnson, Mark Rypien, Tony Eason....none of them are going down in history in the pantheon of great QBs either.

Based on history, "if" he won a Super Bowl, he would go from good/average pro to HOFer god in a blink of an eye. There are so many QB's who won SB's and weren't really that great statistically. If you go by QB rating, it's pretty clear. FWIW Hoyers lifetime rating is 80.

Top 5 SB winner lifetime ratings: Rodgers 104, P. Manning 97, Young 97, Brady 95 and Brees 95

Worst 5 SB winner lifetime ratings: Namath 65, Plunkett 67, Williams, 69, Dilfer 70, Bradshaw 71

In fact, Bradshaw had a lower lifetime rating than Grossman does. Now THAT is funny.

The top 5 are clearly all-time great QB's, because they won their whole careers and performed well always. But beyond that group, the rest of the SB winners had fairly standard pro careers statistically and average passer ratings. Granted, they won when it counted. Cant take that away. But a lot of them just benefitted from being on great teams.

With the right team, no doubt Hoyer could win one.

Archived