THE BROWNS BOARD

Gordon Pleads Guilty to DUI, no additional suspension

Zombo

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/09/josh_gordon_pleads_guilty_to_d.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns' All-Pro wide receiver Josh Gordon pleaded guilty to his DWI Tuesday morning in Raleigh, N.C., the Wake County clerk's office told cleveland.com.

Under the new drug policy, a DWI conviction results in an automatic two-game suspension, but a source told profootballtalk.com that Gordon will not be suspended by the NFL for the DWI. The source told profootballtalk.com that some things will be retroactive under the new policy and some will not, and that Gordon pleaded guilty now to avoid the two-game suspension.

His hearing was originally set for Aug. 26th, but then postponed until Nov. 18 while he went through the appeals process for his indefinite drug ban. It was moved up again to today so Gordon could avoid the extra two games for a total of 12.

When the NFL's new policy is approved, Gordon will have his suspension reduced from 16 games to 10 because he's violated the substance abuse policy at least four times, sources told cleveland.com last week.

If he plays the final six games, beginning Nov. 23, it would count as an accrued season, meaning he'd be eligible for free agency after the 2015, as originally scheduled.

Gordon's blood alcohol level on July 5th was .09, just above North Carolina's legal limit of .08.

Attorney Trey Fitzhugh appeared in court without Gordon and entered the guilty plea.

Gordon received 12 months unsupervised probation, $290 in court costs and a $100 fine. He'll lose his license and must attend alcohol treatment, the clerk's office said.
Gordon, who's working at the Sarchione Auto Group, will be permitted to work out in Berea and attend meetings as soon as his suspension is reduced to 10 games, which can happen any day now.

Counting as a contract year to play 6 games is a screw job to the Browns. Additionally how can they apply the new rules for longevity of suspension yet not apply the new fail limit?? It should be all or nothing and the Browns should appeal it.

^+1. I've been screaming about the fail limit for a week or so. And Josh- get one of the guys at the dealership (or one of the Browns office grunts) to please drive you around until you get your license back.

"Gordon received 12 months unsupervised probation, $290 in court costs and a $100 fine. He'll lose his license and must attend alcohol treatment, the clerk's office said." Standard for a first offense DUI.

Pettine will have to tell Josh- get busted for driving without a license, and it's bye-bye NFL career.

Smacks of a deal being cut...

No suit for 10 games including DUI and use of the training facility.

Sucky deal, but a deal.

Hope he's not using HGH...

Kruger is the one that scares me there. Looking a lot better than last year. Maybe it's the scheme.

Zombo

I'm betting it's the Muscle Milk

Josh Gordon is a punk. Stop distracting from the season, go get help (as in counselling, not just legal), and until then go away.

He means nothing to Sunday's game or many Sundays thereafter, so cut him off.

So tired of hearing about this kid.

"Browns receiver Josh Gordon has pleaded guilty to driving while impaired. Under the new drug policy, a first offense will trigger a two-game suspension. Under the old drug policy, a first offense ordinaily results in no suspension and a maximum fine of $50,000.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Gordon pleaded guilty now to ensure that he will not receive an automatic, mandatory two-game suspension for the DUI charges. (Under the old drug policy, a suspension is possible for first-offense DUI, if a player has had other issues under the substance-abuse policy.)

The guilty plea was submitted by Gordon’s lawyer; he was not required to appear personally in court. In exchange for the plea, Gordon received a 60-day suspended sentence. He also must pay a $100 fine. His driver’s license has been suspended."

I wonder how long until the "Puffy gets popped for driving without a license" headline on Yahoo? Followed closely by all of the "Poor Puffy, it's total BS that he was pulled over in the first place...... The NFL hates the Browns" posts........

If we keep talking about him will you leave?

Yes. Let's keep pretending that Manziel isn't a snap away from leading this team and Gordon is just a legal loophole from soberness, it makes for such great phantom, rookie-like NFL discussion.

I wonder how long until the "Puffy gets popped for driving without a license" headline on Yahoo? Followed closely by all of the "Poor Puffy, it's total BS that he was pulled over in the first place...... The NFL hates the Browns" posts........

I have very little faith in Gordon, only because he's established no reason too. I wish he was a super star for the Browns, but so far he's just a one year flash(out of 3). Until he comes back, plays well and stays out of trouble for a few seasons , I wont count on him for anything.

Just FYI, in my career as an attorney the legal alcohol limit has gone from .15 to .10 to now .08.....nearly half the level that it originally was.

And as you all may know, a person that is "drunk" can be totally different depending on age/weight/sex/metabolism etc. Note that the BAC charge was introduced just to make it easy on law enforcement to have some objective standard by which to go on. Gordon at .09, while over the legal limit, may not have been any more impaired really than someone who would have a .05 reading.

Objective standards are understandable, just not always the whole story.

All the replies about being tired of hearing it, get over it etc.........................I get that I really do. He does need to get his shit together. He may need counseling , mentors etc. The point is this however. THE LEAGUE NEEDS TO APPLY RULES CONSISTENTLY. Either completely apply the new policy or not at all. The Browns organization is better of with the full 16 than they are with the 10 game.

Welcome aboard, noob...

Missed the third split along the way somehow. It's moot now, but I believe the immunoassay is the "cheap and dirty" screening method I thought might have been used on the A sample.

I would suspect the court gave him driving privileges to and from work- but that's about it. Um, his lawyer had to tell him- don't drive under any circumstances. He gets busted for driving under suspension, they'll yank his license for a couple years, and high probability they toss him in jail for at least a couple weeks. I'd say you're wrong about the latter. Gordon has totally exhausted all his sympathy cards with 95% (at least) of the Browns fanbase.

Yes. Let's keep pretending that Manziel isn't a snap away from leading this team and Gordon is just a legal loophole from soberness, it makes for such great phantom, rookie-like NFL discussion.

Gee, you've just been a bundle of happiness since you started posting again. If you want real adult discussion, you're going to have to ban around 70% of the new members, as well as all of the Steeler trolls.

Josh Gordon is a punk. Stop distracting from the season, go get help (as in counselling, not just legal), and until then go away.

He means nothing to Sunday's game or many Sundays thereafter, so cut him off.

So tired of hearing about this kid.

I agree. We don't need him to win.

Gee, you've just been a bundle of happiness since you started posting again. If you want real adult discussion, you're going to have to ban around 70% of the new members, as well as all of the Steeler trolls.

Been pretty pleased with the banter so far. You guys do a great job policing this forum.

Archived