THE BROWNS BOARD

Falcons Fan here, congratulations on dominating Brees!

EightyEight

The Browns defense just became honorary Falcons in my opinion. That sack when Brees got pulverized was better than anything I saw watching the Falcons-Bengals game yesterday. Seems like things are on the upswing for the Browns! On a side note, I'm working on an article about ways with which the Falcons could fix our non-existent pass rush. You guys have a bevy of potential pass rushers, between Mingo, Sheard, and Kruger. Kruger admittedly hasn't lived up to expectations, but even so, he's better than anything the Falcons have. My question is this, based on your team's needs, what do you think the Falcons would have to give up to get one of these guys, and who would they be most likely to get? Do you think Ray Farmer would even be willing to make such a trade? Thanks in advance, and again, congratulations!

The Browns defense just became honorary Falcons in my opinion. That sack when Brees got pulverized was better than anything I saw watching the Falcons-Bengals game yesterday. Seems like things are on the upswing for the Browns! On a side note, I'm working on an article about ways with which the Falcons could fix our non-existent pass rush. You guys have a bevy of potential pass rushers, between Mingo, Sheard, and Kruger. Kruger admittedly hasn't lived up to expectations, but even so, he's better than anything the Falcons have. My question is this, based on your team's needs, what do you think the Falcons would have to give up to get one of these guys, and who would they be most likely to get? Do you think Ray Farmer would even be willing to make such a trade? Thanks in advance, and again, congratulations!

As I have told the non-believers here on this forum, Kruger will (and is) turning it around this year. He leads the team in sacks so far this year and probably QB pressures based on what I've seen. He's batted the ball down at least once. He lost a bit of weight and the coaches challenged him to play better and he's responding.

If the Browns were to make a trade, I'd say the most likely candidate is Sheard, as they are similar players in terms of beefy OLB pass rushers, or you might look at one of the talented defensive ends in which they are quite deep. Personally, I doubt a trade will happen if Pettine has anything to say about it.

One aspects of yesterdays pass rush from the edge that you are over looking, and that was a key factor on Kruger pile driving Brees in one of the opening series was our pass coverage on those plays. Brees held onto the football much too long in those opening series. We couldn't sustain that blanket coverage throughout the game and he got rid of the ball faster and it was a different story to start the second half. Although the biggest sack on the afternoon came from up the middle on the Saint's last series, knocking them out of field goal range and setting up our winning drive.

One aspects of yesterdays pass rush from the edge that you are over looking, and that was a key factor on Kruger pile driving Brees in one of the opening series was our pass coverage on those plays. Brees held onto the football much too long in those opening series. We couldn't sustain that blanket coverage throughout the game and he got rid of the ball faster and it was a different story to start the second half. Although the biggest sack on the afternoon came from up the middle on the Saint's last series, knocking them out of field goal range and setting up our winning drive.

I'm not overlooking it. That's one of the points of press-man coverage. You slow down the receivers with the press allowing the rush to hit home, and if not, at least you threw off the timing. But there were pressures where Kruger didn't need the press to get to Brees. It's a team sport, so yes, there is a synergy between good coverage and good pass rush. None of it takes away from either Kruger's accomplishments or the DBs.

Incidentally, you got to love that Gilbert made up for last week. I'm not sure who we was on, but every wide receiver on the Saints got shut down, and Colston had 0 receptions. The only coverage mistake, IMO, was not abusing Graham more at the line of scrimmage, and not bracketing him with Dansby and a safety or corner. Putting Haden on him is a total mismatch.

Sheard is probably the most tradeable if Mingo could stay healthy, because Sheards contract will be up soon.

Z

Thought so, but wasn't really sure.

As I have told the non-believers here on this forum, Kruger will (and is) turning it around this year. He leads the team in sacks so far this year and probably QB pressures based on what I've seen. He's batted the ball down at least once. He lost a bit of weight and the coaches challenged him to play better and he's responding.

If the Browns were to make a trade, I'd say the most likely candidate is Sheard, as they are similar players in terms of beefy OLB pass rushers, or you might look at one of the talented defensive ends in which they are quite deep. Personally, I doubt a trade will happen if Pettine has anything to say about it.

Oh wow, didn't know that. That's quite impressive. I would love to see Sheard in a Falcons uniform. Not sure what we would have to give up though.

Joe Haden is fantastic, you really have an incredibly balanced D-Line. Now that you have competent quarterback play I fully expect the Browns to win more than 8 games. Especially if Gordon hadn't gotten suspended. The Falcons secondary is pretty decent, we just can't get any pressure. The interior is alright, but our edge rushers are complete crap.

Sheard could probably be had for a mid round pick. I doubt you'll get a 2nd rounder for him that we spent. Kruger stays. He's having a probowl season thus far. In two games he's had 3 sacks, 1PD, and several TFL.

A trade involving Sheard would be mutually beneficial for both teams. He performs better with his hand in the ground and would be a solid presence on the left side of that Falcons Dline.

He's by no means a franchise pass rusher, but he is a steady player that will land you 6-10 sacks a year.

We only have 3 OLBs we like having on the field. Sheard, Kruger, Mingo. When one is hurt, as Mingo was this past week, it takes a toll on the other two guys. I say none of them are available. We do have some D-linemen who can get to the QB in D.Bryant and A.Bryant, but I doubt A.Bryant would even be considered for any type of trade...

OK, I get it. You are happy that we knocked off your main rival. Just be aware that we are equal opportunity ass kickers and will be glad to knock off the Saints main rival when we meet. That would be November 23rd I believe.

OK, I get it. You are happy that we knocked off your main rival. Just be aware that we are equal opportunity ass kickers and will be glad to knock off the Saints main rival when we meet. That would be November 23rd I believe.

Road trip!!

EightyEight, how is the Georgia Dome? Do they allow tailgating around the stadium?

I would expect nothing less! I hope you lose, but I would love to see you guys win all the other games. Falcons are my favorite team, but I do like the Browns more than most. Partially because I hate the Steelers and, now, I also hate the Bengals. Also hate the Ravens because people always try to say Flacco is better than Ryan because of the superbowl that Jacoby Jones and the D won.

Road trip!!

EightyEight, how is the Georgia Dome? Do they allow tailgating around the stadium?

They do! You'll probably have to get there early but there's a nice spot near the stadium where everyone congregates and tailgates! Falcons fans are generally pretty friendly, we're the classiest of the NFC South, biased as I may be, aside from the guys that still wear Vick jerseys. If you see a Vick jersey just avoid that person.

We'd give you Mingo and Miles Austin for Julio or Roddy right now! Hell I'd trade Mngo for Harry Douglass.

I don't know how Ray Farmer would feel but I would trade Douglas for Mingo in a heartbeart. Dougy is good, but Mingo fits a need better. We would be okay with Bernard Reedy or Hester at #3.

I don't know how Ray Farmer would feel but I would trade Douglas for Mingo in a heartbeart. Dougy is good, but Mingo fits a need better. We would be okay with Bernard Reedy or Hester at #3.

I'm not ready to give up on Mingo yet. I want to see him in the Pettine system.

I think Armonty Bryant would be an interesting trade candidate.

I have a feeling Desmond would be more likely. Big contract, health issues, A. Bryant has played really well, at least in preseason although it's not carried in to the regular season yet, I get the impression Farmer and Pettine really like him.

I think Armonty Bryant would be an interesting trade candidate.

Don't know about Armonty, but Desmond Bryant looked pretty ordinary in the first half Sunday...

Archived