THE BROWNS BOARD

2015 Rules: Points of Emphasis... New Rules, too...

Tour2ma

Having just seen my second Offensive pass interference in my two most recent Week 2 games... I thought maybe it was an overdue Point of Emphasis. Sadly it's not, but what is can be seen in the bottom half of the linked summary... below the new rules and the new, spotter-driven, Medical Timeout provision.

http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/new-rules-for-the-2015-16-season/

Funny thing is that it turns out that what I was looking for, WR push offs, were one of the underpublicized 2014 Points of Emphasis. At least it was lost on me last year amid all talk about the Illegal Contact emphasis.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/07/nfl_rule_changespoint_of_emphasis_for_officials_and_how_it_might_affect_the_giants.html

just finished watching the bengals/bucs game and was truly pissed at how many flags were thrown.......most of them late, well after the play. don't understand why officials (esp. in baseball) have to interject and become bigger than the game itself.

just finished watching the bengals/bucs game and was truly pissed at how many flags were thrown.......most of them late, well after the play. don't understand why officials (esp. in baseball) have to interject and become bigger than the game itself.

Part of it can be blamed on overcalls from the TV folks. So many are done due to inability to track the play "live" by officials, that they look a little foolish when the slow mo multiple looks from different angles catch a nuance unseen in real time. So now I suspect they call too many so as not to be second guessed by "the allseeing eye".

The reasoning behind it is even simpler really, at least to me. Offense puts butts in the seats and is what people tune in for. As a result the game is moving towards catering to the offense. The first big step was nearly making the QB untouchable, now it's the exponential increase in PI, holding on defense etc calls.

Archived