THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Should Trade For Zach Mettenberger

Tim Couch Pulls Out

http://factoryofsadness.co/2015/08/24/nfl-pundits-call-for-cleveland-browns-to-trade-for-zach-mettenberger/

Until the Cleveland Browns identify a franchise quarterback, there’s going to be no dearth of names tied to the position–and this time, it’s Tennessee Titans signal caller Zach Mettenberger.

The Franchise’s most famous quarterback, Bernie Kosar, took to Twitter, posting a vine from ESPN’s Louis Roddick in which the analyst states the Browns are one of a handful of teams that need to inquire with the Titans about making a deal for the former sixth-round pick.

And Riddick isn’t the only one who thanks the Browns need to make a move, as NFL Network’s Marc Sessler also piled on:

All of the sudden “go get him” mentality surrounding the LSU product ramped up after Mettenberger made some nice throws in his performance against the St. Louis Rams Sunday night. Mettenberger went 7-of-9 for 91 yards and this score, while posting a 145.8 passer rating, according to ESPN.com.

Mettenberger is an intriguing prospect because he’s only 24. Like many young quarterbacks, he was rushed into action with the Titans, and nobody knows whether he’s actually capable of being a viable starting quarterback. Mettenberger started six contests for Titans last season and lost every time.

The Browns may need to add some quarterbacks simply because they need bodies to get thought the preseason. Johnny Manziel is having some weird elbow trouble, and Connor Shaw has been lost to wrist surgery. That leaves Josh McCown and Thaddeus Lewis.

But to see the Browns make a move for Mettenberger would be a little surprising, because he’s been available all offseason. Not much has changed. He’s still 6-foot-5. He still has a great arm, and he’s still wears cement shoes in the pocket.

The thing to remember is that the Titans are committed to Marcus Mariotta, and that means Z-Met could’ve been had at an earlier time, rather than halfway through the preseason. If the Browns had interest, wouldn’t it have made sense to try and make a deal months ago?

You never know, especially when it comes to figuring out the Browns, but don’t count on Mettenberger to be sporting an orange helmet anytime soon.

Mettenberger has a live arm but he has negative mobility. He could possibly be a franchise level, true pocket passer...but he's still a question mark.

With Johnny showing some maturation and progression adding a QB, regardless of the talent level or possibility, would set us back and open us up to a potential competition.

I know there were some here who were fond of Mettenberger, so what say you?

i posted earlier in another thread about mettenberger and savage......

was still wondering if farmer is surveying any type of QB moves. not that it's a necessity (for me) but a kid who will come in as the 3rd stringer and maybe be a diamond in the rough (ruff ruff)...

Blah blah blah blah blah. If Mettenberger were considered a franchise type QB the Tits would never have drafted to replace him. You think he is going to turn into Brett Favre part deux?

I don't think anyone considers him to be some sort of reboot of Favre. They just think that he has more potential than Johnny and is a young guy with a big arm.

i posted earlier in another thread about mettenberger and savage......

was still wondering if farmer is surveying any type of QB moves. not that it's a necessity (for me) but a kid who will come in as the 3rd stringer and maybe be a diamond in the rough (ruff ruff)...

Oh, must have missed it. My bad.

If Shaw is shut down for the year, I wouldn't mind shelling out a mid round pick for a young guy with talent who hasn't put it together yet.

I don't think they would make that move. I think they are really hoping Johnny is the QB of the future. Trading for Mettenberger is admitting that Johnny is not it.

That said, I think Mettenberger has more potential than Johnny and would not be opposed to the team making a move to get him.

This is how I feel. Trading for another young guy is admitting to Johnny they don't believe in him. It's not the same as signing a journeyman veteran to guide Johnny.

But Mettenberger's arm and stature is very interesting to me. After this season, if Johnny doesn't look like he can do it and if we're not in a position to grab the top draft talent, I wouldn't mind it.

I don't think anyone considers him to be some sort of reboot of Favre. They just think that he has more potential than Johnny and is a young guy with a big arm.

OK, maybe we can resign Charlie Frye or Brandon Weeden or Brady Quinn or Colt McCoy....someone thought they all had more potential than some think JOhnny has.

(maybe in some cases they were right)....I guess simply I am saying is that I see no reason....unless injury is a factor, that we should continue to try to go after more of some other team's schlock.

I wonder what it would take for the Browns to get Phillip Rivers.. I'm not the biggest Rivers fan.. But I think he would fit perfect in our offense.

I wonder what it would take for the Browns to get Phillip Rivers.. I'm not the biggest Rivers fan.. But I think he would fit perfect in our offense.

I think rivers just recently signed a new contract with the chargers.

This trading for Mett has been bandied around on numerous sites and sources, but it has no merit IMO.

Why on earth would the Tits trade a guy who has promise and started games for them last year (doing decent) when he only cost them a sixth rounder?

He gives them great insurance for Mariota and a guy with big arm upside.

This trading for Mett has been bandied around on numerous sites and sources, but it has no merit IMO.

Why on earth would the Tits trade a guy who has promise and started games for them last year (doing decent) when he only cost them a sixth rounder?

This^

Z

Insurance can be had anywhere, and it's normally thought of as much better practice to have your backup have the same skillset as your starter.

If you had your franchise guy and a team came knocking, offering you a 4th or so for a guy you spent a 6th on...you'd probably be a fool to not take it.

Not that I'm encouraging us going for Mett, I think it would be detrimental to Johnny's potential growth. But there are plenty of better reasons why it doesn't make sense than the one you listed.

Tim, The Tits trotted out Charlie Whitehurst last year....quite a few times. Do you think they would risk doing that again to acquire a pick that is a little better than what they spent on a sixth last year?

Does the fact that many of our fans would love to have Mett convince the Tits that he is better with the Browns than the Tits?

Think about it. If a guy is good enough to trade for, why would the team want to trade him for nothing more than a fourth?

Also, what makes folks think Mett is a fit with Flip's system? His knock is limited mobility and the Browns have two mobile guys now.

On top of that, it would give us three QBs and two that are developmental who can't be stashed.

I do not think JF will get a fair shake, and if he just dont work out, well will be looking to add one high next year. Here is a list from Walterfootball's site.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016QB.php

Pretty awesome that most of the QB's are over 6'2" tall.

I do not think JF will get a fair shake, and if he just dont work out, well will be looking to add one high next year. Here is a list from Walterfootball's site.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016QB.php

Pretty awesome that most of the QB's are over 6'2" tall.

Fair shake?

Hey, remember that time we were the only team willing to throw a first round pick at him and he thanked us by going on a well publicized party tour, never learning the plays, never becoming part of the team and shitting the bed when he got a chance?

The problem is not that we are not giving guys a fair shake (Quinn, Weeds, Frye, McCoy) the problem is that we are drafting guys that can't start in this league.

That ball is in Johnny's court now. He already got a fair shake when we drafted him, handed him the job while in playoff contention, and brought him back after his wasted year. Rest is up to him.

Z

Note that Cardale Jones will be available with the Browns' second-round pick in 2016.. because he's not going to win the starting QB job at OSU this year.

Barrett is better at running the OSU offense; his arm is only NFL-backup level, but he makes better decisions than Cardale.

So - even after we pick Cardale at the top of the second, he'll still need a year of seasoning behind JF.

http://factoryofsadness.co/2015/08/24/nfl-pundits-call-for-cleveland-browns-to-trade-for-zach-mettenberger/

Mettenberger has a live arm but he has negative mobility. He could possibly be a franchise level, true pocket passer...but he's still a question mark.

With Johnny showing some maturation and progression adding a QB, regardless of the talent level or possibility, would set us back and open us up to a potential competition.

I know there were some here who were fond of Mettenberger, so what say you?

Like a lot of inexperienced QBs - he has a tendency to hold onto the ball too long. He got sacked 18 times and had 4 fumbles in just 6 starts. On the other hand, he had an 83 passer rating on a 2-14 team.

Tim, The Tits trotted out Charlie Whitehurst last year....quite a few times. Do you think they would risk doing that again to acquire a pick that is a little better than what they spent on a sixth last year?

Does the fact that many of our fans would love to have Mett convince the Tits that he is better with the Browns than the Tits?

Think about it. If a guy is good enough to trade for, why would the team want to trade him for nothing more than a fourth?

Also, what makes folks think Mett is a fit with Flip's system? His knock is limited mobility and the Browns have two mobile guys now.

On top of that, it would give us three QBs and two that are developmental who can't be stashed.

I don't disagree with your points about about Mett not being a good fit in Cleveland right now.

As for your other point - in a perfect world, that would be true. A team would keep the absolute best QBs they could, regardless of age, contract figures, offensive scheme, etc. Indy would have kept Peyton and still drafted Luck. GB would have kept Favre until he retired, regardless of Rodgers. The Pats would have kept both Brady and Bledsoe. But the NFL isn't perfect and a plethora of factors have to be weighed in.

This is the ultimate scenario for a franchise:

• Your starter is firmly your starter.
  • Your backup is firmly your backup.
  • Both are more talented than your competition.

It's like the old adage - "fast, cheap or good, you can only have two." If you want your starter firmly your starter and your backup firmly your backup, it's likely that they aren't both more talented than your competition. If you want two QB's who are both more talented than your competition, it's likely that there will be some trouble.

The Titans seem to be in a position where they have two talented young QB's with solid careers ahead of them. If the Titans kept Mariota and Mett, there's four basic options that can play out:

1. Mariota shines, Mett sucks.
  2. Mariota shines, Mett shines.
  3. Mariota sucks, Mett shines.
  4. Mariota sucks, Mariota sucks.

Only one of those options is good for long term health of the Titans organization (Mariota shines, Mett sucks). Options 2 and 3 are breeding grounds for fan scrutiny and QB controversies and option 4 is just a no-good situation at all.

There are plenty of other factors and arguments that I have going on right now in my head, but that's the main one. Plus, I have a shitload of work to do and I can't sit down and fully articulate the other points I wanted to make right now.

TL;DR - By keeping Mett as a security QB, they are inviting QB controversies while simultaneously wasting an opportunity to make their team better at another position or two.

Archived