THE BROWNS BOARD

DeFlip is all right...nothing left.....

Mudfly

So....was watching and rewatching and noted a lot of quick hit passes to the right(some seemed forced) and a lot of runs right too.....and without any background on DeFlip, am curious how he's gonna do with the O this season....and even more curious if my impression was "right", about our whole offense being to the right......

one other thing that I really was hoping to see, was more screens and dunk passes to the RB's....which he said would happen.....and I know Duke is out....but so far only 3 RB passes in 2 games????....thats not an increase......

And all those passes to the right?....so I looked up the pass chart for JM and JFF and see that we arent throwing left at all.......20 right vs 15 middle vs 6 left....(and 3 of those leftys were forced by scrambles)....

(Connor Shaw was the only one close to an even distribution)

And adding to that....we have yet to run off tackle to the left(not even once)....even though we have 2 of the best OL on our left side AND we're trying to establish a run game......18 middle....11 right.....and only 5 off guard(left).....

....this would be the opposite of last season, where we threw AND ran more to the left, than we did to the right.....

So....is it just vanilla offense?(saving the left for later?).....is Deflip not using the whole field?.....or are our QB's not getting through their progressions?....(this, I think, is a big part of it)......

Why force a pass right to a covered man,w/o even looking the other way.... unless its scripted?.....

Testing the right side of our line, by chance? We know we can maul people with JT and Bito. Best pass protectors are on the blind side, so have McCown and Johnny throw right to keep their eyes on possible pressure? Perhaps by coincidence we've found our passing strength to the field side which is consistently been on the right?

I'm just spit balling. It's two pre-season games. Hardly enough of a sample size to get any accurate assessments on the nature of how the offense will flow.

As far as running... it would make sense to give more work to your weaker side in pre-season.

Passing? I doubt there's a simple answer.

EDIT: Looks like tia and I are in sync on the run. And QB eyes to the weaker side did occur to me as well, but just seemed like one of many potential factors.

missing that pap some too.....Im sure our extensive use of it last year added to the success on that side of the field....

But....watching them play, with this "right" thing on my mind.....it just feels like the field is much smaller than it has to be.....

Good topic and good notes Mud, absolutely correct we needed you in the film room with Shanny (well you may have got him fired sooner).1. I have watched T-Rich & West & Crow all set up far to deep on a sweep L or R and both the backs and OL is so out of sync it's a wasted play, especially the way Bills were coming Thurs? 2. It will be interesting to see if a screen game will work WELL If our QB can hold the ball long enough and not sell it for the screen to get set up without eating it with pressure? 3. That 8 yrd. quick out pattern always to the RT. to a WR, will be a pick 6 at some point this preseason if we keep running it every other possession? We our showing Vanilla on both sides of the ball imo. But the Victorious Secrets better be going on at camp practice?

Good topic and good notes Mud, absolutely correct we needed you in the film room with Shanny (well you may have got him fired sooner).1. I have watched T-Rich & West & Crow all set up far to deep on a sweep L or R and both the backs and OL is so out of sync it's a wasted play, especially the way Bills were coming Thurs? 2. It will be interesting to see if a screen game will work WELL If our QB can hold the ball long enough and not sell it for the screen to get set up without eating it with pressure? 3. That 8 yrd. quick out pattern always to the RT. to a WR, will be a pick 6 at some point this preseason if we keep running it every other possession? We our showing Vanilla on both sides of the ball imo. But the Victorious Secrets better be going on at camp practice?

Pet mentioned that they will be doing things at night far away from the prying eyes of reporters while smiling at them and acknowledging that they were "just doing your jobs". He made it pretty clear they are not showing all their cards yet.

Im sure there's more to see than what they are showing.......(LOTS more, I hope)

In addition to the whole game going right.....we also are staying short(barely any attempts over 20 yds).....so, if you look at the passing widows.....left - middle - right......0 -10.....10 - 20....20+....(plus backfield rt & lft).....thats 11 distinct passing windows and we are only using 4 of them....meaning 7 need not be defended.....

The silver lining????.... every play looks like a red zone drill....so, at least we should get very good at that......

I will say that Pettine and Rexy got into a little pissing match with the blitz packages....so maybe we had to just stay with the quick hitting stuff and had no time for plays to develop.....well see what happens this week......

Really hope DeFlip has some tricks up his sleeve and broadens the offensive options some....(and before the real season)

Methinks Pettine just may be one helluva poker player. ;)

Mike

Oh I SO agree with this statement

Coach Pettine is my new hero!!! He

Brings to the table all the "Stuff"

Great mentors have to have and then some!

He and Mr. Farmer give us a powerful duo to fight all

the tyranny of bullshit that the NFL and its cronies

Try to use against the Browns on a weekly basis.

We will be successful! We will win!! And the Browns will

do these things in a impressive and honorable way!!!

GO BROWNS

Long time no Mopar... season is drawing near.

Methinks Pettine just may be one helluva poker player. ;)

Nah... twirls his hair when he's bluffing...

Should get a peak at our hole cards vs. the Bucs. Not a reveal, just a hint... a glimpse...

Only 2nd preseason game but Flip didn't show much. If any NFL team thinks you're going to run it 50 times a game they are clueless.

Top 5 Rushing Attempt Teams 2014

1. Tennessee 2-14

2. Cleveland 7-9

3. Jacksonville 3-13

4. Oakland 3-13

5. Philadelphia 10-6

Botton 5 Rushing Attempt Teams 2014

1. Denver 12-4

2. Detroit 11-5

3. Pittsburgh 11-5

4. Seattle 12-4

5. Baltimore 10-6

• 2 weeks later...

yet another game of all right and all short passes.....

this week = 26 passes and only 3 to the left.....and only one over 20......

There are 11 zones and we are using 4 of them.....over 90% of the time....

so far our offense only using a very small part of the field......and I dont think its some sneaky strategy to preserve the left side for the regular season(that makes no sense)....I looked and we are pretty much the only team that is this limited in spreading-stretching the field.....

so, either Flips play calling is uber conservative and repetitive.....or the WR's on the left arent getting open(ever)....or the QB's arent seeing that side of the field(ever)......

to me....it a disturbing(and easily defended) trend.....

• 2 weeks later...

There are 11 zones and we are using 4 of them.....over 90% of the time....

so far our offense only using a very small part of the field......and I dont think its some sneaky strategy to preserve the left side for the regular season(that makes no sense)....I looked and we are pretty much the only team that is this limited in spreading-stretching the field.....

Flips play calling is uber conservative and repetitive.....

to me....it a disturbing(and easily defended) trend.....

For now, Im standing with this...^^^^^^....was really hoping Flip had something up his sleeve, but clearly that was not the case....

Yesterday looked like a continuation of the offense 101 that we saw through pre-season......

Archived