THE BROWNS BOARD

Will Pettine Use A Bell Cow?

Opal312

Last year's running backs started off with a bang and ended with a whimper. The injuries were no help.

I think the Browns need to establish one runner, probably Crowell, to be the Bell Cow. I seriously don't think the committee approach works. Yes, we need to spell runners during the course of the game but letting our best back tote the Rock and pound the defense senseless ala Jamal Charles, Demarco Murray, and Marshawn Lynch has had success over the years.

I'm hoping our best running back will get the ball 20-30 times a game. I just don't like the "whoever has the hot hand" approach. It might work for the Patriots but they have a veteran hall of famer at QB and Gronk.

i thought west looked better abeit against the 2s and 3s. crowell is definitely the better power back but west showed escapability. i think they'll both see lots of PT. i too can't wait to see what duke has to offer.

More than "escapability" I'd say patience, but I know what you mean...

I think in the end it's Crow. The strength, explosiveness and aggressiveness he shows just reinforces the team attitude Pet wants. That stiff arm deserves a dog bone...

They both looked good last night. I think West wants the spotlight more, but Crow is better. And in Pet's farm, better wins out.

1,000+ for Crow.

Any Duke Johnson sightings? would love to see him in Tampa.

Zombo

Mike, do you think Duke is built to take the feature back role at this level?

He's really similar to Andre Ellington in a lot of ways. Durability will always be a concern. Probably not a 20+ carry guy for 16 games, but he can be effective b/t tackles, Pass blocking, on edge and in passing game. So I think 3 down back, but maybe not a featured guy

Crow is a lock. I just believe Duke holds the keys if we will see Rice or Bradshaw in this backfield. Pass protection and picking up blitz West and M. Johnson can scare the hell out of any QB. West to me is protecting the ball much better and better cuts up field reading blocks with less dancing. Duke could do it all, including pass protect at Miami but now can he do it with the big boys and stay healthy will determine his career.?

Archived