THE BROWNS BOARD

To be or not to be a team with a good Quarterback

The Gipper

We know that the Browns have suffered the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune when it comes to the quarterback position.

But, can we find someone to take up arm against this sea of troubles? We have suffered heartache and a thousand natural shocks when it comes to this position.

Can we perchance to dream that we can find someone to do well in that role before we shuffle off this mortal coil. There's the rub.

We grunt and sweat under a weary life in this task to find a quarterback.

Perchance a quarterback may come to us from that undiscover'd country from where no traveler returns?

This puzzles the will of all Browns fans, and makes us rather bear those ills we have than to fly to others that we know not of. It makes cowards of us all. We have had such a sickly paled cast of quarterback candidates! The search for one is an enterprise of great pith and moment! With this regard, we lose the name of action.

Softly now, shall we find the fair quarterback that we perchance to dream of?

As for others that we did once love, Couch, Frye, McCoy, Weeden, Hoyer, Quinn.....get thee all to a nunnery.

Browns fans are very proud, revengeful, ambitious and with more offences than we have imagination to give them shape. We are arrant knaves, crawling between heaven and earth.

We have been married to quarterbacks who have been fools, for wise men know well enough what monsters we make of them.

I fear it will take heavenly powers to restore to us a franchise Quarterback.

Go to, I'll no more on it; it hath made me mad.

OK with dramatis personae.....here is the real motif of this thread: Following are all the QBs that are projected to be starters in the league this year. I am going to break them down into 5 categories, color coded, let me know if you agree with me:

Hall of Fame

Franchise

Solid

Developmental

Stopgap

Bills: Matt Cassell

Dolphins: RyanTannehill

Patriots: Tom Brady

Jets: Ryan Kirkpatrick

Ravens: Joe Flacco

Bengals: Andy Dalton

Steelers: Ben Roethlisberger

Browns: Josh McCown

Texans: Brian Hoyer

Colts: Andrew Luck

Jaguars: Blake Bortles

Titans: Marcus Mariota

Broncos: Peyton

Chiefs: Alex Smith

Raiders: Derek Carr

Chargers: Phillip Rivers

Cowboys: Tony Romo

Giants: Eli Manning

Eagles: Sam Bradford

Redskins: Robert Griffin

Bears: Jay Cutler

Lions: Matt Stafford

Packers: Aaron Rodgers

Vikings: Teddy Twatwater

Falcons: Matt Ryan

Carolina: Cam Newton

Saints: Drew Brees

Bucs: Jamies Winston

Cardinals: Carson Palmer

49ers: Colin Kaepernick

Seahawks: Russell Wilson

Rams: Nick Foles

Tell me if you agree with my assessments.

Alas, no great Knight who has faced vast numbers of slings and arrows, alone,

and thereby dies a noble death...

is he a "Great Knight"? A Knight who always won many battles, yet fails in battle

with an unbeatable dragon...

is the Knight not thusly doomed to not be great after all?

I say, against unbeatable odds, a great knight still, after great unwinnable battles against

unbeatable foe, still...

is a great knight. So too, is a quarterback. A great high school quarterback, who hast won himself many

battles with a great high school team thusly around him. Hath he still greatness about him, when he goes

to a small, low talent college team, and only then, starts losing to unbeatable foes?

So, too, the great college quarterback, to an expansion or just very poor NFL team?

And let it be known to be true and just - that some quarterbacks have skills that limit their level of greatness...

and yet, those who have the skills to be great at all levels...

hath not the great quarterback still have been great, when losing teams is not of his load to bear?

I see greatness, yet, in those greats who lose to unbeatable foes, lest we get to not knowing greatness inherent

in the knight, regardless of loss to dragons.

There are 5 what I consider HOF QBs playing now: Brady, Peyton, Brees, BR, Rodgers. I am going to go back into history to see if there were that many playing at various points of time.

(also....note: no one can claim that Wilson and Luck are HOF now....but they have that potential....thus my "franchise" designation for them)

Since this is 2015, I will look at the years ending in a 5...going back to just after WWII up to 1995:

1995: Warren Moon, John Elway, Dan Marino, Jim Kelley, Steve Young...and certain HOFer Brett Favre

1985: Moon, Elway, Marino, Joe Montana, Dan Fouts, (plus Kelly and Young were playing in the USFL)

1975: Fouts, Fran Tarkenton, Roger Staubach, Joe Namath, Terry Bradshaw, Bob Griese, Len Dawson...and possible HOF for next year: Ken Stabler

1965: Tarkenton, Namath, Dawson, Sonny Jurgenson, Bart Starr, George Blanda, and John Unitas

1955: YA Tittle, Norm Van Brocklin, Bobby Layne, Otto Graham, and George Blanda

1945: Sid Luckman, Sammy Baugh, Bob Waterfield, Arnie Herber, and Ace Parker (Otto Graham, while drafted in 1944 did not play until 1946).

So, as I see it, it is entirely possible that 7-8 HOF QBs could be playing in the league this fall. You have the 5 I mention as sure things: Brady/Peyton/BR/Brees/Rodgers....plus possible future HOF in the likes of Luck/Wilson...and maybe one other? Who would that be? Rivers?

Dalton, Romo, and Ryan are all franchise QB's because they give their teams a chance to compete, win the division, and go to the playoffs every year.

To me, that just makes them "Solid".....to me a franchise QB is a guy that could take you to a Super Bowl win....and who with a little luck could turn into a HOF type QB....like Phillip Rivers.

I put no faith in those 3 at this time to take that step up. It could happen....but they have to do much better. They are in with Stafford and others.

Alas, no great Knight who has faced vast numbers of slings and arrows, alone,

and thereby dies a noble death...

is he a "Great Knight"? A Knight who always won many battles, yet fails in battle

with an unbeatable dragon...

is the Knight not thusly doomed to not be great after all?

I say, against unbeatable odds, a great knight still, after great unwinnable battles against

unbeatable foe, still...

is a great knight. So too, is a quarterback. A great high school quarterback, who hast won himself many

battles with a great high school team thusly around him. Hath he still greatness about him, when he goes

to a small, low talent college team, and only then, starts losing to unbeatable foes?

So, too, the great college quarterback, to an expansion or just very poor NFL team?

And let it be known to be true and just - that some quarterbacks have skills that limit their level of greatness...

and yet, those who have the skills to be great at all levels...

hath not the great quarterback still have been great, when losing teams is not of his load to bear?

I see greatness, yet, in those greats who lose to unbeatable foes, lest we get to not knowing greatness inherent

in the knight, regardless of loss to dragons.

Mine was Hamlet.....are you paraphrasing Man of La Mancha? Don Quixote?

I'm mixing wild and crazy. I didn't remember the rest of Hamlet. lol

"to be, or not to be...

whether tis nobler to suffer

the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune...

to to take arms against a sea of troubles, and

by dying....

end them....

something like that. It's just that I keep getting stuck in Archie Manning mode. and Bert Jones mode, etc.

don't mind me...it was just one of my "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL NO !" moments....

Romo 75-48 record 97.6 Rating

Rivers 88-56 record 95.7 Rating

What am I missing?

Romo is better than Manning, Flacco and Newton who you correctly have listed as franchise QBs.

Before you mention those Super bowls that Eli and Joe won all by themselves ... Cam?

Zombo

Romo 75-48 record 97.6 Rating

Rivers 88-56 record 95.7 Rating

What am I missing?

Romo is better than Manning, Flacco and Newton who you correctly have listed as franchise QBs.

Before you mention those Super bowls that Eli and Joe won all by themselves ... Cam?

Zombo

Let's put it this way: Romo is borderline between franchise and solid. While his numbers are very good, to me, he still wears a jabot.

And I would prefer the guys you mention to run my team, thank you very much.

With Zombo re: Romo.

I think if anyone could draft either today, they'd take Tannehill over Dalton. Maybe that's just me but that one jumped out at me.

Were they out of the same draft? I still have Tannehill as developmental.

I think that is your A&M bias speaking.

I didn't include a "mediocre" category, thinking that the "stopgap" category handled that. I think, unless he shows more this year, Tannehill could devolve into the Stopgap mode....meaning that if he doesn't perform the Dolphins will be looking for someone else. I mean, they have not had a winning season since he has been there. Going 6-10/7-9/8-8/8-8 could have your team looking at who is available in the draft before long.

At least Dalton has gotten the Bengals to the playoffs each year....thus "solid". Tannehill I don't think is at that level. Apparent talent....not yet come to fruition.

Not the same draft, I don't think.

The Dolphins have a bottom 5 OL in the league. Tannehill IIRC was sacked more than anyone last year. How many Pro Bowlers are blocking for Dalton? He also has a great running game and defense. Miami's D was close last year but fell off late or their record would be better. Can't just look at records.

Not the same draft, I don't think.

The Dolphins have a bottom 5 OL in the league. Tannehill IIRC was sacked more than anyone last year. How many Pro Bowlers are blocking for Dalton? He also has a great running game and defense. Miami's D was close last year but fell off late or their record would be better. Can't just look at records.

Well, it may be subjective criteria, but I put Dalton a rung up on Tannehill because Dalton has made 4 consecutive playoff appearances, and Tannehill none. Each is stuck with the team he has, and a QB's duty is to lead his team. Dalton has gotten it done where Tannehill has not, yet. That is why I still give him developmental status. As to how many Pro Bowlers Dalton has blocking for him: I think the Answer is One: Andrew Whitworth. The Browns have more Pro Bowlers on the OL than the Bengals.

Archived