THE BROWNS BOARD

Which receivers make this team?

WalterWhite

Bowe and Hawkins are the locks beyond locks.

Hartline is the 3rd receiver and Gabriel the 4th.

Vince Mayle has a roster spot.

So do you keep Benji who has production and special teams value, and is the only real "burner", or do you keep Pryor, who can be third QB and a hybrid, all-around playmaker ... or do you keep 7? Those are the questions.

Hawk ... not a question.

Zombo

Hawk is not a question. Mayle having a roster spot? Definitely a question in my mind.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hawk is not a question. Mayle having a roster spot? Definitely a question in my mind.

4th round pick, and reports are that he is coming on in camp. He either makes the roster or comes up "injured", they are not exposing him to the rest of the league.

Zombo

Bowe and Hawkins are the locks beyond locks.

Hartline is the 3rd receiver and Gabriel the 4th.

Vince Mayle has a roster spot.

So Bowe and Hawk are your starters. May well be, but not hearing a lot of chemistry talk about McCown and Hawk.

Gotta agree with Zombo. Hawkins is our best skill player on offense and it ain't close yet. If the public perception of him was even half as good as he actually is then I MIGHT consider trading him but since he's so underrated, we would only be hurting ourselves.

I was not aware that the public sets trade values...

So Bowe and Hawk are your starters. May well be, but not hearing a lot of chemistry talk about McCown and Hawk.

You may have your ear closer to the ground than I do, but I certainly envision Bowe on one side, Hawkins on the other, and then moving inside when Hartline comes in on passing downs. I'm over-simplifying, but those are my top 3 receivers, it would surprise me if it is any different, although Gabe and Benji should get some balls.

If they want Pryor on the roster, someone (Mayle) will come up injured or there is a surprise cut (Benji) ... not the Hawk. Browns love that guy, I'm sure McCown will too.

Zombo

Well.....Wr is really unfolding as a wide open competition....and a very difficult set of decisions for the staff....

looks like Benji has really stepped up so far....kudos to you guys who stood with him, as I had him outta here...

Hartline also has really shown up the past week or 2 and has totally convinced me he isnt the next Nate Burleson....but maybe the next Joe Jurevicius instead....

We have several UDFA/FA signings who are making waves.....Lenz, Jennings and Wynn have all flashed....

While a couple guys we were counting on(Housler, Bowe and Mayle) have struggled with drops(and injury)....

Pryor?.....a sensational week, yes....but he needs to get back on the field.......soon.....

And Marlon Moore.....showed why weve kept him to this point.....forced fumble on ST......too good to let go?

It would seem strange if we cut the absolute best version of Travis Benjamin this franchise has invested so much time in training up to be reliable for situational football. He now can run every route in the passing tree, lead us in 17.4 yards per catch in 2014,lead us in TD receptions despite part time duty (meaning he's reliable and CATCHES the ball which is refreshing on this franchise). My favorite change is what we saw on the TD reception - an experienced/trained vet adjusted to a coverage leverage and made a clutch catch in the red zone.

He's also going to return punts again, which was the very first impression Mike Pettine had of him (while coaching Buffalo) returning a punt for a score in a game we erased a deficit without our starting QB. It's 2 years post surgery, so I doubt we have to keep playing Russian Roulette with that like we had to last year.

What makes this tough for us fans is we don't see who the coaches are seeing every day in practice and again in the film room. Guys nursing bad hammies are allowing guys like Benjamin and Mayle to make a serious run at making this football team. When Pettine announces he likes to see hard work rewarded by good performance - that hasn't been exclusive to Manziel. He's talking a lot of Benjamin and I guarantee his night vrs Washington didn't hurt that whatsoever.

Here's my 6 this week:

Hartline: leaving us no choice but feeling like he is needed

Bowe: FA commitment with a bad hammy

Pryor: Early buzz of training camp sentenced to a bad hammy

Hawk: Great job last year and continues to sport a bust tail work ethic

Gabriel: Same goodies as Hawk with 17.3 yards per catch from the undrafted rookie who caught seemingly everything

Benjamin: Exactly why you invest time training a guy who responds to coaching. Elite speed, reliable hands, and a STs threat.

What if somebody isn't who we thought he'd be? The 30 year old Bowe (already dealing with a hammy issue) is coming off only 60 rec for 754 yards and 0 TDs on a 9-7 football team. The year before that he only had 57 rec for 673 yards and just 5 TDs in 15 games. Are we looking at the same Dwayne Bowe we used to want on our fantasy football rosters? If yes, that's good. If not - somebody with best football ahead is getting cut, IR'd or stashed on the PS as temporary as Charles Johnson was.

Overall, this sudden WR depth is a good problem to have if we don't end up getting burned keeping someone that can't stay healthy in lieu of someone that has been stepping for those that aren't healthy right now.

yeah i don't see the browns not trying to keep mayle. he's got gordon size and hopefully will show the org. why they drafted him. pryor is interesting but if he doesn't blow them away with some type of performance, he'll be on the outside looking in. i mean in a perfect world we could keep them all but............

They need Mayle, he isn't going anywhere. I suppose Bowe will be fine in a few weeks.

Duke is ready to come back as a rb/r, if he wasn't back already today.

Gabriel isn't going anywhere, either.

tough decisions to make. The Browns' practice squad is going to be

scrutinized bigtime, around the NFL.

I wouldn't underestimate Moore making this team as well. Teams across the league covet the special teams ace and Moore has become that dude. He had a nice strip in the first game and made good plays last year. I'm intrigued by Pryor as much as anyone but I'm not as convinced as a bunch of you here that he'll be on the squad.

I see Pryor as the third TE to save a roster spot at WR

The odd man out to me is the TE Housler...or

We keep an extra WR (Pryor) and only two TE

Same theory different setup either way Housler

Ain't done shit and is the less paid FA...JMO

We keep an extra WR (Pryor) and only two TE

Same theory different setup either way Housler

Ain't done shit and is the less paid FA...JMO

With the way we love using 12 personnel, I'd hope we'd keep more than two TE's.

Mayle is coming off an injury. It's early but I think we keep him over Pryor for sure.

Mayle has been coming on strong while Pryor was the early pleasant surprise of camp. This seems like an opportune time to take a look at some ages in here when we weigh best football ahead vrs best football behind:

Bowe 30

Hawkins 29

Hartline 28

Moore 27

Pryor 25

Benjamin 25

Gabriel 24

Lenz 24

Mayle 23

Jennings ? (undrafted rookie)

LOL... and we're collectively back up to about 14 WRs...

Tour, they do have to deal with their own fans.

Fair enough... but is there that big of a following for Hawk?

Mayle has been coming on strong while Pryor was the early pleasant surprise of camp. This seems like an opportune time to take a look at some ages in here when we weigh best football ahead vrs best football behind:

Bowe 30

Hawkins 29

Hartline 28

Moore 27

Pryor 25

Benjamin 25

Gabriel 24

Lenz 24

Mayle 23

Jennings ? (undrafted rookie)

Bowe, Hawk, Hartline, Gabriel, Pryor, Benjamin.

Mayle to IR.

Lenz to PS?

Moore and Jennings to the street.

Its not looking good for Housler right now.....I agree....

He's listed third and Bibbs(who is 4th) is clearly outperforming him at camp....the scrimmage.....and game 1......

And now I see that the Redskins just lost their 2nd TE this week(both are out for the season)......I say the farmer should get on the phone with them tomorrow and get us a late draft pick and some extra cap room.....

LOL... and we're collectively back up to about 14 WRs...

Fair enough... but is there that big of a following for Hawk?

Judging by Zombo, myself, and others' reactions I would say yes. But what I was referring to was actually fans of others teams that would feel they got fleeced because they underestimate Hawkins, even if that coach and GM are aware of how good he is.

Well, one of these little wr's in camp would look good on the practice squad.

Another local kid... Glenville HS...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=120219&draftyear=2015&genpos=WR

I want to see Wynn return a couple punts this pre-season. There's one in the video at the 2:00 mark. Needless to say "he could go all the way"... Looks to have the quicks and mentality to thrive in that role. Surprisingly he had only 20 returns spread over his last two years at Indiana.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/shane-wynn-1.html

Hard to say about his WR prospects. Whole lotta uncovered post routes in that video generated by speed alone... mostly against lesser opponents, e.g., not many highlights vs. the Buckeyes.

The way this is going we may have a heck of a return team. Benji, M. Moore, Gilbert, Duke and Wynn all play other positions and will get interesting to 53 man roster but 3 WR's will be tough to keep unless your making plays on Special Teams like M. Moore. Benji's not giving anybody anything and if Pryor is in the mix we may see him as a 3rd QB on the roster.

Look at Benji gettin' some Bleacher love...

Why 2015 Will Be Breakout Season for Cleveland Browns WR Travis Benjamin

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2550700-why-2015-will-be-breakout-season-for-cleveland-browns-wr-travis-benjamin

Archived