THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns' Pettine says McCown is favorite to start at QB

OldBrownsFan

Josh McCown is Randy McCown's brother. So, there's kind of another pseudo-Aggie connection at Cleveland QB. Therefore, I thought I would come back... and there was much rejoicing

Josh McCown is Luke McCown's brother.....a QB who was drafted by the Browns.....2003--04?

And Randy is both Luke's and Josh's older brother... and played QB for TAMU. Just like Faded said...

He called too much attention to the QB spot with his 'open competition'. It was all that was discussed last year, and that creeps into the locker room as well. You don't hear that from the good teams in the league, and he needs to just stop talking about it, and if that means not answering the media's questions, then so be it.

So far, I like what he's doing, and Johnny just needs to disappear until McCown proves he can't do it, and Johnny is needed.... Hopefully that day will never come.

Kinda agree...

I don't think Josh has to "prove he can't do it". More that JM just has to show the staff that he has command of the offense... something he never did in 2014.

There were two issues with the 2014 "competition":

• JM's residual star power convincing a chunk of the locker room that his run-around, free lancing in practice was a winning approach; and
  • Hoyer's insecurities.
I do not think the former will fool anyone if it remerges this coming camp and McCown's psyche does not seem fragile.

Agree 100 percent. I hope he shows us what made him so good in college.

Cool... we have hope covered. Now just need someone to kick in a prayer...

Good news on JM today. He is taking another step in the right direction, changing places to an area far more therapeutic than where he was living.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12827217/johnny-manziel-cleveland-browns-moves-suburban-golf-community

And Dansby joins in:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25175424/karlos-dansby-on-johnny-manziel-hes-grown-up-right-before-our-eyes

And this statement from Donte Whitner secondary to JM's move: “I’ve been a believer in Johnny from Day One,” Whitner said. “The physical attributes, the fiery type of guy and the things that he brings to an offense and the problems he can give you on the defensive side of the football with that extra being able to get out of the pocket and let guys run free, I still believe that he can do those things. I believe that he will do those things. So we still believe in him. He’ll have to compete for a job, but I believe that he’s up for the task. So we’ll see what happens.”

Read a lot of people believing JF needs the same game he had in college. It's more than that because that style will not work in this league. Josh knows the Type QB JF will need to Be in this league and was brought in supposedly to Mentor Johnny that Hoyer may not have been willing to do so or possibly Johnny is not willing to learn. A lot of reasons out there where Pet is leaning Josh IMO...

Good news on JM today. He is taking another step in the right direction, changing places to an area far more therapeutic than where he was living.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12827217/johnny-manziel-cleveland-browns-moves-suburban-golf-community

And Dansby joins in:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25175424/karlos-dansby-on-johnny-manziel-hes-grown-up-right-before-our-eyes

And this statement from Donte Whitner secondary to JM's move: “I’ve been a believer in Johnny from Day One,” Whitner said. “The physical attributes, the fiery type of guy and the things that he brings to an offense and the problems he can give you on the defensive side of the football with that extra being able to get out of the pocket and let guys run free, I still believe that he can do those things. I believe that he will do those things. So we still believe in him. He’ll have to compete for a job, but I believe that he’s up for the task. So we’ll see what happens.”

He is doing all the right things. I PRAY he succeeds.

I think the absolute worst scenario that can happen is for Manziel to be a passable QB this year.

He either has to crash and burn or play lights out. 2016 may be the year of the QB...I'd hate to miss out on a potential franchise guy because Manziel strung together a mediocre 8-8 season and our FO is still interested in what he can offer.

I also fully expect Manziel to win the starting job over McCown, if that's not apparent.

I think the absolute worst scenario that can happen is for Manziel to be a passable QB this year.

He either has to crash and burn or play lights out. 2016 may be the year of the QB...I'd hate to miss out on a potential franchise guy because Manziel strung together a mediocre 8-8 season and our FO is still interested in what he can offer.

I also fully expect Manziel to win the starting job over McCown, if that's not apparent.

Actually if JM starts all season long I would fully expect 8-8 out of essentially a rookie QB. What is important however is how he is playing the second half of the season, just like we see with others who are starting for their first full season. It's a rare bird that can come in and play lights out their entire first season in this league. But if you see JM just WING that ball rather than guide it from day one, than he has a chance and Tour's final goal is covered. :P

And this from another article verifies he is learning the most important concept in recovery: Change people (JG to Paul Kruger), places (The 9's to golf community) and things (drinking/partying to golf and study).

"Several sources have told Northeast Ohio Media Group that Manziel now lives near Paul Kruger, who will be a good influence on him and also enjoys golf. Another source told NEOMG that it was part of Manziel's aftercare program to move away from the party scene and into a less-tempting environment."

I disagree with those who would say it was a total waste last year for Manziel. A big waste but not a total one. I don't see him this year as a stone cold rookie but one who has already played in pre-season, has practiced a full season with the Browns and sat in numerous meetings and watching game films and has at least a limited amount of game time from last season . My hope (back to hope) is that he can really hit the ground running this year. I believe he does have the ability to be a Russell Wilson type QB. Everything I have read about Wilson is that he has a great work ethic and spends a lot of time in game preparation as well as being a good leader. Manziel is now doing these things and is getting the trust back with the players.

Actually if JM starts all season long I would fully expect 8-8 out of essentially a rookie QB. What is important however is how he is playing the second half of the season, just like we see with others who are starting for their first full season. It's a rare bird that can come in and play lights out their entire first season in this league. But if you see JM just WING that ball rather than guide it from day one, than he has a chance and Tour's final goal is covered. :P

And this from another article verifies he is learning the most important concept in recovery: Change people (JG to Paul Kruger), places (The 9's to golf community) and things (drinking/partying to golf and study).

"Several sources have told Northeast Ohio Media Group that Manziel now lives near Paul Kruger, who will be a good influence on him and also enjoys golf. Another source told NEOMG that it was part of Manziel's aftercare program to move away from the party scene and into a less-tempting environment."

I'm happy for his recovery, but if he goes 8-8 it's very likely that he sets this franchise back a few years.

I can't imagine anyone being pissed off about Johnny going 8 & 8 this season, unless it's just some whiny ass troll.

I have never thought you were one of those TC so I'm guessing this is just a little hyperbole?

(besides we will need to go maybe 1 and 15 to get whichever overrated quarterback is the flavor of the month)

WSS

Depends how he plays, not the record.

That was what I was alluding to Chris. If he is playing very well but loses a few close ones early on, then starts to win them later in the season-all is well and a QB is in the making.

You never know though. We might actually be winning with the elder statesman as the younger man learns to be a pro a la Farve/Rodgers that went on a few years. I'd be happy for all under those circumstances.

I can't imagine anyone being pissed off about Johnny going 8 & 8 this season, unless it's just some whiny ass troll.

I have never thought you were one of those TC so I'm guessing this is just a little hyperbole?

(besides we will need to go maybe 1 and 15 to get whichever overrated quarterback is the flavor of the month)

WSS

I wouldn't be pissed, but I think there's a high chance it could set the franchise back. This isn't a personal thing against Manziel at all. This is strictly big picture.

There are three QB's in the 2016 Draft (at this point) that I'd say are better prospects than Manziel - Cook, Hackenberg and Jones. I firmly believe that all three could be drafted in the top 15 of the 2016 Draft.

If Manziel goes 8-8 and plays mediocre to slightly above average (56 - 58% completion / 78 - 80 average rating / roughly equal TD:INT ratio), we're likely going to stand pat with him - meaning that we could miss out on a very solid QB prospect.

So I either want Manziel to play lights out (like I have a feeling he can) or just completely play like garbage. Let us go into 2016 with a firm idea of what we have behind center so we can make the right calls in the draft.

Depends how he plays, not the record.

This is true. Although, even if he plays like crap and still leads us to a solid record, there will be plenty of people advocating for him to stay - like Hoyer when he started to play like shit.

• 3 months later...

Hot off the presses here is a really good, summary article on why McCown is here and has a chance to replicate his 2013 season. It includes several points I've made here since his release by TB, but obviously that's not why I'm posting it... ;)

Cleveland Browns have Terry Talkin' about how Josh McCown can make a comeback -- Terry Pluto

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2015/08/cleveland_browns_have_terry_ta_17.html

DOING RESEARCH

Before the Browns signed McCown to three-year, $14 million contract ($6.2 million guaranteed), they studied every snap he took for the Chicago Bears in 2013. And they did the same for how he played with Tampa Bay in 2014.

To the Browns, it was obvious that McCown throws much better out of the play action -- something used regularly by Chicago. That was not the case in Tampa Bay.

Here are some differences:

1. Tampa Bay used the play-action only 9 percent of the time. Chicago did it 21 percent with McCown. Last season, the Browns used it 29 percent. While DeFilippo has replaced Kyle Shanahan, the Browns will still use the play-action a lot.

2. Tampa Bay often had McCown in an empty backfield, not a good idea with a poor offensive line.

3. Tampa Bay ranked 29th in rushing. The Bucs scored only seven touchdowns on the ground, and McCown ran for three of those. The Browns are planning on a strong running attack. Chicago had star Matt Forte in the backfield and that made McCown much better.

Hot off the presses here is a really good, summary article on why McCown is here and has a chance to replicate his 2013 season. It includes several points I've made here since his release by TB, but obviously that's not why I'm posting it... ;)

Cleveland Browns have Terry Talkin' about how Josh McCown can make a comeback -- Terry Pluto

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2015/08/cleveland_browns_have_terry_ta_17.html

DOING RESEARCH

Before the Browns signed McCown to three-year, $14 million contract ($6.2 million guaranteed), they studied every snap he took for the Chicago Bears in 2013. And they did the same for how he played with Tampa Bay in 2014.

To the Browns, it was obvious that McCown throws much better out of the play action -- something used regularly by Chicago. That was not the case in Tampa Bay.

Here are some differences:

1. Tampa Bay used the play-action only 9 percent of the time. Chicago did it 21 percent with McCown. Last season, the Browns used it 29 percent. While DeFilippo has replaced Kyle Shanahan, the Browns will still use the play-action a lot.

2. Tampa Bay often had McCown in an empty backfield, not a good idea with a poor offensive line.

3. Tampa Bay ranked 29th in rushing. The Bucs scored only seven touchdowns on the ground, and McCown ran for three of those. The Browns are planning on a strong running attack. Chicago had star Matt Forte in the backfield and that made McCown much better.

Note: The Browns were 4th in the NFL in rushing TDs with 17, though they were only 17th in rushing yards.

The Browns have 3 Pro Bowl OL.

But they need to run better than they showed in the first preseason game.

Note: In comparison, the Steelers scored only 10 rushing TDs, and only outgained the Browns by 24 yards for the season, 1752 vs 1728

Archived