THE BROWNS BOARD

Veteran, OTA's & Rookie Camp Notes

gumby73

C. Coleman signs 4 year deal pending number 11.65M. or close. WR's Payton, Wiggins, DB Caldwell, OL Drango & Scooby Wright Have all signed Contracts. All from BR & Quotes from Hue... Shon Coleman- MCL- Did not participate.Taking it slow, but he's ready. Kessler had a good Day 1. First thing Hue noticed was a bunch of Rookie's out of Shape & Went right after the First Round Pick Cory Coleman as a example. Hue is pushing it on Al Saunder to whip these kids into shape. Mike Matthews- Hue not concerned about size, he can play but will need to earn his way. Danny Shelton down 15 pounds..

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First thing Hue noticed was a much of Rookie's out of Shape & Went right after the First Round Pick Cory Coleman.

first thing i noticed was how confusing this ^^ sentence is

i do appreciate the tidbits and anecdotes though, truly.

What Hue did was challenge ALL the rookies to get into "NFL shape" so they can compete with the vets., then said they would get there.

Mike

Drango was officially unchained.

Kessler looks sturdy and smart.

With those big paws ... Who knows?

Hue has USC connections, someone was in his ear.

Z

When Mike Sherman (card-carrying NFL man) was the head coach at A&M we were putting a bunch of guys in the league that had no business being drafted, which we obviously attributed to Sherman's reputation and recommendation. Could be a similar case with Kessler/Hue.

first thing i noticed was how confusing this ^^ sentence is

i do appreciate the tidbits and anecdotes though, truly.

My bad. Was thinking "bunch" while spelling "much". Thanks & MKC am gladly not. It's finally good to read that a coach will truly speak out on what he see's. Who's names Hue throws out to media, may not matter & that's a good thing. Hue also is putting convenience on his coach's that what he see's in week 1 of Camp won't be happening by Week 3 of Camp. I'll take a good boot in the ass if it makes me better. Love the Talent not The Player, Interested to see how far this goes.. Hue seems to love everyone ;)

this is overblown. It isn't like a player has gained forty lbs of blubber ..come on.

these players have had 3 months or so to take a break from football,

they aren't going to be all in football shape the first day of training

camp in the NFL. A little winded all I can imagine ahtletes going into the NFL

have to get over.

Hue explained a little more what he meant by "football shape" as not being able to play a full game. Most of the college players are just not ready to go a full game yet and need to be conditioned to do so. Hue was saying that most (but not all) of the players were not where he wants them to be and that they will get them into football shape by his definition.

Day 2: Fan Fest.. Brisk, wet & windy..(just the way we like it) Kessler hit on a 50 yard TD pass to Higgins. Scooby picks off Kessler on a short route. TE Randall Telfer suffers leg injury diving on short pass. Came off with hammy wrapped. Telfer & Kessler played together Kessler's sophomore year.

Hue explained a little more what he meant by "football shape" as not being able to play a full game. Most of the college players are just not ready to go a full game yet and need to be conditioned to do so. Hue was saying that most (but not all) of the players were not where he wants them to be and that they will get them into football shape by his definition.

Hue's got a lot of work ahead of him seeing as we haven't been in shape for the last 15 years

Basicly he's saying that everyone besides Coleman is out of shape.

You still remain one post from the truth lol.

Jackson singled out Coleman.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/hue-jackson-says-wr-corey-210400536.html

Even Steeler writers showing Hue Jackson some respect!

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2016/5/15/11677024/hue-jacksons-comments-regarding-rookies-conditioning-rings-true-with

Pick out your best rookie, talk about getting him into the shape he needs to be and viola, message sent to entire team (like Shelton for example) that no matter who you are, you'd better report in the best shape of your life or start packing.

man i hope you guys are right about HUE cuz i'm not smellin what this dude has been cooking at all.

mik, am telling you now. Something just feels right with RG3 & Hue. Decision making & getting the ball out of RG3's hands is what Hue cooking. For some damn reason, every network, every year thought we were getting better. This season they say we will be everybody bitch. Fine, absolutely perfect.. Go Browns!!

Mik you need to get over your buddy Pettine getting fired. I hate when regime changes divide the fanbase.

it's not that. really. it's the fact that everyone is proclaiming hue to be some god, when he really has done nothing.

yeah i liked pettine cuz i like defensive guys. he also was a nobody basically working his way up.

now jackson is some offensive genius (flip, shurmer, palmer etc. etc.) who has already been a head coach and did shit. his claim to fame is andy dalton. ANDY DALTON! brandon weeden's cousin.

i hope for the best, but just like the fans in 'believeland' i've seen it too many times.

i can tell the difference between a pile of shit and a pile of crap from a mile away.

it's not that. really. it's the fact that everyone is proclaiming hue to be some god, when he really has done nothing.

yeah i liked pettine cuz i like defensive guys. he also was a nobody basically working his way up.

now jackson is some offensive genius (flip, shurmer, palmer etc. etc.) who has already been a head coach and did shit. his claim to fame is andy dalton. ANDY DALTON! brandon weeden's cousin.

i hope for the best, but just like the fans in 'believeland' i've seen it too many times.

i can tell the difference between a pile of shit and a pile of crap from a mile away.

Just so I got this straight, you like Pettine because he had accomplished nothing, but dislike Jackson because he got 'brandon weedon's cousin' playing by far the best football of his career; had one year as a head coach where he got Jason Campbell (!) and the raiders (!) in to playoff contention before injuries and the death of Al Davis derailed the season. Seems legit.

But trust me, I get it - Mike Holmgren was supposed to be the guy, the all knowing oracle of QB play, and he drafted us Colt McCoy, and generally did shit. Pat Shurmer was supposed to be an offensive mastermind who could do everything, but ultimately the step up to HC was too big for him. Now you've got another guy who's supposed to be the guy and people are asking you to buy in to another regime? Man, you're tired of this shit. Can't we just win already?

Who knows if Hue is the guy. But Pettine wasn't the guy, and we have to go with the guy who we think is most likely to be the guy. Jackson has a track record of getting a lot out of his players, as a position coach (having coached Chad Johnson and TJ Houshamansdhsahashdsazeh to well over 4000 yards in two years; converting Joe Flacco from a small school prospect to franchise QB, for example), OC (see the bengals last two years; remember Darren McFadden going for 1k+ yards? That was under Hue as OC/HC) and HC (see the raiders). That's not to mention his direct experience of our division and making the reigning champions much weaker.

Is he perfect? Probably not. Nobody is. We're probably not going to have a winning record this year, because these things take time. As to the guys we drafted, opinions are mixed - big fucking shock, it's a draft class, and we're less than a month removed from the first and last picks. Of course opinions will be mixed. It happens every year to every team. I've seen grades from A to D for the browns, and from A to D for the eagles, bengals, titans, and pretty much every other ball club in the league.

So let's just pick ourselves up after another year of finishing 4th in the division, dust ourselves down, and hope that this time, the guy we chose is the guy for real. He may very well be.

Pick out your best rookie, talk about getting him into the shape he needs to be and viola, message sent to entire team (like Shelton for example) that no matter who you are, you'd better report in the best shape of your life or start packing.

Agree on intent of Coleman as the example, but not the consequences...

Pretty much nails my take as well. Not seeing the basis for the QB whisperer proclamations.

Additionally I still have concerns over a HC focusing so much on one position with an entire team to build... even given the importance of the position drawing Hue's attention. That said... I like the energy Hue is bringing. It has the potential to compensate for his QB-centric focus in the short-term.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/browns-hue-jackson-already-changing-141007782.html

Browns: Hue Jackson Already Changing Culture

Hue Jackson has not even coached a single game for the Cleveland Browns, yet his impact is already highly noticeable.
When the Cleveland Browns take the field in 2016 they will likely struggle, but that will not be a completely accurate reflection of the coach Hue Jackson has done. Jackson has not coached a single game for the Cleveland Browns, yet his impact is already highly noticeable. The days of simply preaching about change appears to finally be coming to an end, and the days of actual change taking place are here.
Fans of the Browns have been filled with empty promise after empty promise as each new regime has rolled in. With the possible exception of the Mangini era, no regime has been able to show any progress that backed up the lofty promises they made to the Cleveland faithful. Everyone looking at the Browns kept echoing the same response, you have to give your coaches time, change does not happen over night. Changes in the win loss column may take time, but changes in the mentality and attitude of a team seems to take place a lot quicker with Hue Jackson at the helm.
When Cleveland hired Coach Jackson it was met with an overwhelmingly positive response around the league. Coach Jackson is a highly respected coach in the NFL and for the first time in a long time the Browns were able to get their guy on the first try. The amount of respect other coaches in the NFL have for Coach Jackson is evident by the staff he was able to surround himself with. The Browns coaching staff could easily be considered one of the deepest in the league today. It may not been the Cleveland Browns coaching tree from the mid nineties when Bill Belicheck was running the show, but the amount of experience that is now in Cleveland will be evident starting this season. The silly mental mistakes and being simply outcoached appear as if they will be a thing of distant memory soon.
The experience of Hue Jackson is great, but it is his no nonsense approach and ability to relate to players that will have the biggest impact this year. Jackson has not been afraid to mince words, he comes right out and says what is on his mind and if you like it great, if you don’t find a way to get over it. With rookies coming to camp this past week, Jackson wasted little time to call out the entire rookie class, especially first round pick Corey Coleman. High on all of his picks, Jackson was not afraid to upset any of his new comers when he said that they all needed to be better conditioned. Jackson went on to talk about how talented Coleman was, but also noted how badly he needed to get in shape. To call out your prized first round pick receiver on day one of rookie mini camp takes some serious nerve and Jackson seems to have plenty of that.
How many coaches do you have to go back to find what Jackson has already displayed in his short time here? Romeo Crennel was too soft, but the players loved him. Eric Mangini was too much of a disciplinarian and drove his players away. Where do we start with the problems the Pat Shurmur era brought us. Rob Chudzinski couldn’t seem to get the fire lit in the belly of his players, but his sample size is probably too small. Mike Pettine was so afraid to mess up his first head coaching opportunity that he messed it up by not being tough enough on his guys.
People who were actually on the field at Browns training camps in the previous two years have said that Coach Mike Pettine would almost disappear in practice and you would have no idea who the actual head coach was. That won’t be a problem with Jackson. 92.3 The Fan’s Daryl Ruiter has even gone on to say that he saw more coaching on the first day of veterans voluntary mini camp then he saw in the last five years.
The change in Cleveland is already evident and it will take time to get to where the Browns are looking to go. For the first time in a long time the direction the Browns are going appears to be a positive one and not just filled with empty words and blind optimism. The right staff appears to be in place now. The fans and the organization just needs to be patient for the change to occur on the field.

Day 1 of 9 of the Browns OTA's has begun today. As Sam Rutigliano would say "A new broom (rookies) sweeps well but it takes a old broom (vets) to get the corners". Now Let's see who's in NFL shape? Hue, "You don't live in Cincinnati you live in Cleveland"..STAY HEALTHY, but work their ass off :P.

Nice interview with rookie center Matthews. He had already chosen the Browns as the place he wanted to go before getting the phone call. Nice to have a player who wants to be a Brown.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Rookie-center-wants-to-give-Browns-fans-a-new-Matthews-to-remember/3aa06ec3-36d3-45c4-b5d4-6d8a19133dc2

So you're saying Mathews is not that bright... or maybe he is...

“We went through every single team, all 32 teams, and we decided who needed the most help interior-wise between guard and center,” Matthews said. “And then after the draft we went through the list and the Browns were No. 1 on the list.”

So you're saying Mathews is not that bright... or maybe he is...

“We went through every single team, all 32 teams, and we decided who needed the most help interior-wise between guard and center,” Matthews said. “And then after the draft we went through the list and the Browns were No. 1 on the list.”

Marketed his skills to the place most in need of them. Smart kid.

Most of us don't like her, but none the less, this is good to hear:

#Browns Hue Jackson runs the most spirited, uptempo practices I have seen in 28 years of covering this team.

#Browns Haden: "Hue Jackson is the best thing that's happened to the Browns since I've been here.''

Something about Browns & you Texas fellas? UDFA K Brad Craddock out of Maryland was cut. Browns claim K Jaden Oberkrom (went 3-3 from 50 plus) from TCU off waivers from Jags.. Coon Dawg in a 3 man kicker battle . Yes, Kickers lives matter too :ph34r:

Archived