THE BROWNS BOARD

Peter King On When Browns Become Legit Playoff Contenders

wvdawg

If we played in the NFC West I would agree with PK, but we don't. The lockout is not helping either. Ask yourself this: 'Can we get above .500 in our division?' If your honest with yourself then you would say not probable, which would answer the playoff question.

Our offense is loaded with young unproven veterans so anything is possible with a creative gameplan that utilizes what we have and our defense should be at minimal noticeably better than the last several years, with that said i believe we will need 2 more good drafts and or some ballsy free agency in between before we will become a consistently threatening menace to the stoolers and ratbirds..

I believe the Browns will compete for the playoffs this year. They have fixed some major weaknesses in personnel, and the new system

should work, finally, with the players they have. That's if they get off to a quick start in regular season. We now have very SMART FOOTBALL PEOPLE

with excellent people skills making decisions and coaching now. The players seem pysched...

at least 2yrs. even if colt has a decent year the overall talent of the browns needs to continue being upgraded.

they took a big step forward last season by beating 2 of the best teams in the league fairly handily and coming away from a few games thinking those should have been wins as well

the trouble that has faced the browns previously is being able to duplicate success 2 years in a row and progress. if they can build on what they had last season while not taking any steps back due to a new system and new coaching staff, the browns will be well on their way in 2 years time

I believe we are on the right track and could possibly surprise a few people this year. It really depends on how well Colt plays, which I'm feeling relatively good about. I think we've got some great players on defense that are all young and our offense could do some big things too. But I'm also just hoping a lot as well haha.

Any one who thinks that we are going to compete for the playoffs this year is going to be disappointed. Honestly don't know why you are all getting your hopes up, doing so is only going to accomplish one thing, and that is to see another coach get fired before he has been given enough time to prove himself. All that I am looking for next season is for our 2nd year players to progress, our rookies to show why Heckert spent picks on them, and some of our more injury prone vets to make it farther through the season than they normally do. If all of this happens we could be 8-8, but since this isn't the NFC West no... playoffs.

Super Bowl.

Colt McCoy is the next NFL Legend.

Peyton Hillis is a truck.

Scott Fujita is a leader of men.

Hayden, Ward and Rubin will be Pro Bowlers.

Thomas and Mack are perennial Pro Bowlers.

Greg Little is Rookie of the year.

This team reminds me of a 5-11 team a decade ago with a second year qb who was drafted late ... They were the NE Patriots.

Super Bowl.

Zombo

Super Bowl.

This team reminds me of a 5-11 team a decade ago with a second year qb who was drafted late ... They were the NE Patriots.

Super Bowl.

Zombo

Ditto.

As much as I share the hopes of many of You, I dont think were just gonna waltz into the playoffs...Impossible?..Certainly not, Probable?...Maybe...things would have to be perfect for us to get in..8-8..9-7 would be a solid year for us..But until this team does it...lets not make dumb predictions. And as far as the Patriots goes,,,,,, Until Brady came along Belidick was a circle jerk...He'll be one when Brady is gone.

In regards to the title of this thread... I would say, "Behind a potent offense that included future Hall of Famers Graham, Motley and Dante Lavelli, the Browns picked up right where they left off in the AAFC. After going 10–2 in the regular season, they defeated the New York Giants 8–3 in a playoff game and then beat Cleveland's previous NFL tenants, the Rams (who were now in Los Angeles), 30–28, in the NFL Championship Game. Since the NFL does not recognize the AAFC's records, this technically makes the Browns the most successful expansion team in league history. However, the 1950 Browns were not an expansion team in any sense of the term." Ok so I would say that they are and were playoff contenders right from the get go. Let's see what happens this season.

In regards to the title of this thread... I would say, "Behind a potent offense that included future Hall of Famers Graham, Motley and Dante Lavelli, the Browns picked up right where they left off in the AAFC. After going 10–2 in the regular season, they defeated the New York Giants 8–3 in a playoff game and then beat Cleveland's previous NFL tenants, the Rams (who were now in Los Angeles), 30–28, in the NFL Championship Game. Since the NFL does not recognize the AAFC's records, this technically makes the Browns the most successful expansion team in league history. However, the 1950 Browns were not an expansion team in any sense of the term." Ok so I would say that they are and were playoff contenders right from the get go. Let's see what happens this season.

If the Browns had played in the NFL in the years 46-49, they very may well have also won 4 titles in a row there. I think they would have been a shoe-in to win 3. The only real contest would have been in 1946 when the Bears won the NFL title. Those Bears and the Browns could have had an epic battle. The '47 Cards and the 48 and 49 Eagles would have been no match for the Browns.

The playoffs are what happen, when "it" all comes together. If you need an elite wr, a few dominant linemen, another buttkickin rb, another very fast cb, ....

and you get the Browns first excellent coach in years....and you've drafted very smart players who love the game, work ethic and solid guys ....

which I believe the Browns have been doing, and certainly did this year.... with a system that better suits the package?

It happened for the Rams - I believe it may very well happen this year for the Browns. By the way, the Rams had drafted their bookend left tackle a few years before a few years before it happened for them.

St. Louis RamsFurther information: 1999 St. Louis Rams seasonThe Rams shocked the NFL in 1999 with an NFC-best 133 regular season record, only a year after finishing 4-12. This was the Rams' first playoff appearance in 10 years and only the second Super Bowl appearance in team history.[9] St. Louis was led by undrafted quarterback Kurt Warner, who started the season as backup to Trent Green. Green suffered a season-ending injury in the preseason, making Warner the team's new starter. Warner previously played for the Iowa Barnstormers of the Arena Football League and the Amsterdam Admirals of NFL Europe.[10]

Super Bowl.

Super Bowl.

Zombo

Greg Little will not be rookie of the year. He's still really raw, didn't play football last year and will be in a tough, tough division. Rubin won't be a Pro-Bowler either, neither will Ward. Obviously you're going hard and over the top and I'd say there is reason for some excitement in Cleveland but please tell me the above is exaggerated.

Greg Little will not be rookie of the year. He's still really raw, didn't play football last year and will be in a tough, tough division. Rubin won't be a Pro-Bowler either, neither will Ward. Obviously you're going hard and over the top and I'd say there is reason for some excitement in Cleveland but please tell me the above is exaggerated.

sarcasm_detector.jpg

As far as Little goes I mostly agree with you,However. I dont think any of the above is not a impossibility. Ward especially looks like he can become one of the better safeties in the league and Rubin is very solid. Rubin isnt exactly garbage. The bigger question is. "Will We make the Playoffs" ?....Probably not but, Not impossible. That would be like saying the Stoolers will win 0 games next season. And we both know thats silly. If you had watched Ward "Every week" Like we did...you would see why some of us see pro-bowler potential in the kid. While Rubin is not the biggest DT in the league,hes done more than hold his own. watching these kids only 2 times a year when we play each other isnt gonna give you a real sense of what these kids can do. Im not in any way calling them the Elite at thier respective Positions. But watch them over time before you make ignorant comments like the one you posted up above. Because you definately dont know what the hell your talking about.

If Ward works on his hands for next season that along nets him at least 3-4 more INT's than last year. He could also improve in his coverage, but at the same time he is a SS and he didn't do too bad in coverage last year. Rubin I think got snubbed from the pro bowl last year as well. He was clearly one of the best NT last season and he registered the most tackles out of any DT last season.

As far as Little goes I mostly agree with you,However. I dont think any of the above is not a impossibility. Ward especially looks like he can become one of the better safeties in the league and Rubin is very solid. Rubin isnt exactly garbage. The bigger question is. "Will We make the Playoffs" ?....Probably not but, Not impossible. That would be like saying the Stoolers will win 0 games next season. And we both know thats silly. If you had watched Ward "Every week" Like we did...you would see why some of us see pro-bowler potential in the kid. While Rubin is not the biggest DT in the league,hes done more than hold his own. watching these kids only 2 times a year when we play each other isnt gonna give you a real sense of what these kids can do. Im not in any way calling them the Elite at thier respective Positions. But watch them over time before you make ignorant comments like the one you posted up above. Because you definately dont know what the hell your talking about.

Ignorant comments? I've watched plenty of the Cleveland Browns over the years and I wasn't implying the above players were/are garbage. What I WAS doing was weighing in their chances against others in the AFC at their positions. Assuming Ed Reed is healthy as well as Troy that's two safeties in the AFC grabbing spots. Rubin also has some steep competition and his position just in the AFC north not to mention the entire AFC. I don't feel that either player is bad but neither is good enough right now to warrant a pro-bowl selection considering the competition.

Ignorant comments? I've watched plenty of the Cleveland Browns over the years and I wasn't implying the above players were/are garbage. What I WAS doing was weighing in their chances against others in the AFC at their positions. Assuming Ed Reed is healthy as well as Troy that's two safeties in the AFC grabbing spots. Rubin also has some steep competition and his position just in the AFC north not to mention the entire AFC. I don't feel that either player is bad but neither is good enough right now to warrant a pro-bowl selection considering the competition.

You forget though the pro bowl selects atleast 3 people for each spot at said positions and alternates...and winning cures that...so I think given the scope...the chances are better than you think they are.

Ed Reed is basically on his way to retirement. Polamalu is starting a slide downhill with age and injuries. He might have another Pro Bowl year under his belt, but that slide is starting. If there is a new sheriff in town at FS in the AFCN it is Ward. That doesn't mean he will be a lock for Pro Bowl, as there are 3 other divisions in the AFC.

Yeah i feel the same as far as Reed and Polamalu are concernied, Reed is on his way to retirement and Polamalu was a weak link for the Steelers Defense in the SB...

Ward is an up and coming play maker who if he can work a lil bit on his cover skills i feel will be a Pro Bowler..

And Haden could have been a Pro Bowler last year if he started more games i think he will be next year...

The thing is the Browns have to start winning more games to get some of there guys names out there more when pro bowl balloting starts,because alot of people when they vote just look at the Names and say o yeah Ed Reed he deserves to be in the Pro Bowl when in Reality hes been hurt 8 games of the Season

Yeah i feel the same as far as Reed and Polamalu are concernied, Reed is on his way to retirement and Polamalu was a weak link for the Steelers Defense in the SB...

Ward is an up and coming play maker who if he can work a lil bit on his cover skills i feel will be a Pro Bowler..

And Haden could have been a Pro Bowler last year if he started more games i think he will be next year...

The thing is the Browns have to start winning more games to get some of there guys names out there more when pro bowl balloting starts,because alot of people when they vote just look at the Names and say o yeah Ed Reed he deserves to be in the Pro Bowl when in Reality hes been hurt 8 games of the Season

Hearin lies proof again Homotard just says things just to say them to ire other posters...his game is old and tired and people just dont buy his ilk. How does someone who is a stooler fan say "Oh Ive watched the browns alot over the years"..Are you a closet Browns fan LOL?... I mean Ward hasnt been here for years (DUH)...It was his rookie season last year and a damn fine one for an up and commer. Hes shown a knack for getting to the ball. I think he will improve his coverage skills. He's a pretty smart kid. I think what him and Haden did last season was very promising. I dont get these Retards that just throw out blanket statements without any basis of facts or stats to support them. I dont claim to know it all, But I dont sit there saying guys like Ben or Polamalu suck and are not going to the pro bowl. For some someone how sits there and plays with his tabs all day then thinks hes some kind of genius "Ohhhh wowww whoppee I can use tabs" he brags about it like a 10 year old. For someone who talks alot it amounts to 0 and its a whole lot of caca.

Archived