THE BROWNS BOARD

The ultimate cinderella story

gftChris

http://www.wsj.com/articles/leicester-city-clinches-premier-league-title-1462223054

This is literally the biggest sports story of all time. Imagine the Browns, after finishing 3-13; with less money to sign new players than basically everyone else in the league; no draft to get fresh new talent; and then they go on and win the superbowl. It's like that, only much less likely.

Browns are currently 200-1 to win the superbowl next year. At the start of the season, Leicester were 5000-1 to win the league.

Football is basically geared up to keep the big clubs rich, and there's no limit on the amount of money you can spend buying players or paying their wages. Finish higher, you get more prize money. Bigger clubs get more TV games, and they keep the money they're paid for them. The more supporters you have, the more jerseys you sell - and again, you keep the money. Finish in the top four, you qualify for the continental competition - with even bigger prize money, more money from more TV games, and more supporters coming in. Every player wants to play in the european 'champions' league', so the best players are only interested in going to the best teams.

So for a team like leicester, who were in the third tier only about 5 years ago, to win the league is basically impossible. And yet it happened.

BTW, it's pronounced like 'les-ter' - I know that's a name that has tripped up many americans in the past ;)

Didn't the Rams go from the worst team of the 90's to winning the Super Bowl in 1999? With a backup QB to boot, they were awful before 1999

I am happy that Leicester City won. I root for Liverpool, and I am glad the London teams or Manchester teams have finally been taken down

http://www.wsj.com/articles/leicester-city-clinches-premier-league-title-1462223054

This is literally the biggest sports story of all time. Imagine the Browns, after finishing 3-13; with less money to sign new players than basically everyone else in the league; no draft to get fresh new talent; and then they go on and win the superbowl. It's like that, only much less likely.

Browns are currently 200-1 to win the superbowl next year. At the start of the season, Leicester were 5000-1 to win the league.

Football is basically geared up to keep the big clubs rich, and there's no limit on the amount of money you can spend buying players or paying their wages. Finish higher, you get more prize money. Bigger clubs get more TV games, and they keep the money they're paid for them. The more supporters you have, the more jerseys you sell - and again, you keep the money. Finish in the top four, you qualify for the continental competition - with even bigger prize money, more money from more TV games, and more supporters coming in. Every player wants to play in the european 'champions' league', so the best players are only interested in going to the best teams.

So for a team like leicester, who were in the third tier only about 5 years ago, to win the league is basically impossible. And yet it happened.

BTW, it's pronounced like 'les-ter' - I know that's a name that has tripped up many americans in the past ;)

No. This town, however, does trip us up a bit:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Archived