THE BROWNS BOARD

The Gipper's Guide to America

The Gipper

My daughter and I took two of my grandkids and one of my brother's to Sprague Lake in RMNP this morning and were rewarded with a bull moose with velvet antlers browsing on the water veggies in the lake. I've seen a couple of females in recent years on this side of the divide, but this is the first I've seen one of the large bulls over here. A herd of 12 was released in the Park on the western slope in 1978 and they now number near 3,000 in Colorado both sides of the divide both within RMNP and outside it since that original release 30 years ago. They have enough now that there is a lottery for licenses to hunt a restricted number of bulls every year in the state.

well, the wolf video seems to be a lot of hokey. You would think that with the wolf population exploding,

that the bunnies etc would go bye bye. It's true however, that keeping a species from overpopulating and starving

out is a good thing.

20 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

well, the wolf video seems to be a lot of hokey. You would think that with the wolf population exploding,

that the bunnies etc would go bye bye. It's true however, that keeping a species from overpopulating and starving

out is a good thing.

Does that include humans?  ;)

About 5 am the morning before last my brother had to swat a bear's paw out of the open window after it had slashed through the screen. He thinks it was the same half grown cub he had scared off the hummingbird feeder out on the same back porch two weeks ago.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I will be going to Pea Ridge  (Civil War battle site)  in NW Arkansas sometime next week.  Not been there before.

Didn't Trump participate in that?(Sorry I just could not pass it up-the devil made me do it.😈).

• 2 weeks later...

On my recent trip to a resort in Northeast Oklahoma, I was able to visit  4 more National Park units that I had not been to before:

George Washington Carver National Historic Park.  This is in southwest Missouri near Joplin.  It is the location of GWC's boyhood home. Or, at least, it was the home of the persons who were he and his mother's slave owners.  Though they were slave owners, it appears that they were pretty good to young GWC.  At one point before the civil war, raiders came and stole he and his mother from this farm.  The farm owner did his mightiest to get them back, but could only get GWC.  His mother was lost forever.  They allowed young George free rein of the property...and in fact, because he was "frail" they did not require him to do the hard work around the farm.  It was in the woods and fields of this location that he learned the appreciation of nature, and of farm techniques.  Later in life he invented many of the methods by which farming was undertaken in this country...by everyone.

Pea Ridge National Military Park.   This is a Civil War Battlefield site in Northwest Arkansas.  It ended up being a Union Victory, the main thrust of which is that it preserved Missouri as part of the Union. The Confederate goal had been to route the Union out of Missouri and to have it joined the Confederacy, but because of the North's victory, that never happened.

Fort Smith National Historic Park. This fort, and the surrounding town, was built originally as a way to protect the Cherokee Indians who had recently been "removed" along the Trail of Tears from the native Osage Indians.  During the Civil War it was occupied for a short time by the Confederacy, but later taken control of by the Union and was in Union hands for most of the war.  More famously this site became the hub of post Civil war activity to try to stifle banditry and outlaws. Judge Isaac Roy Parker (the hanging judge)  held sway here at Fort Smith, along with like 100 US Marshalls whose job it was to chase outlaws who tried to hide out in "Indian Territory"...today, Oklahoma.  (Indian Territory did not have the same laws/legal structure as a state did).  Recall the movie True Grit (either the John Wayne or the Jeff Bridges versions), which depicted the sort of thing going on there in Fort Smith.  And during his time, Judge Parker hanged (not hung)  88 outlaws.

Ozark National Scenic Riverways.   This one I stopped into just one part of it on my way home.  It encompasses the river ways of the Current and Jack Fork rivers there in south central Missouri. It is a big recreation area where you can do all the river type activities, fish, swim, canoe etc. The part I was at was called The Big Spring Area.....and I was surprised and impressed by this.  There is a huge spring where water comes out of the ground, and I mean water:   300 million gallons a day come out of this spring. Almost a gallon a day for every American. And beautiful surroundings there as well. The deer come out of the woods and feed on the grass as you drive right by them.

Revisited National Park Units:

Hot Springs National Park

Buffalo National Scenic River.

These now make  347  of the 417 National Park units that I have visited. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My nephew stands at parade rest as his ship sails under the Golden Gate bridge during the S.F.  U.S.Navy Fleet Week. He is the CWO in charge of all communications and computer systems on board ship. Some 23 years ago my brother kicked him out of the house for not working while hanging around some questionable losers who were also going nowhere. He joined the Navy and eventually got so good at his job that he was assigned to the joint services top notch world combat team that operated out of Ft. Bragg. He went through all the special warfare schools, communications/computer schools and even jump school to a be a part of that major command group. Smart kid who grew up to be a very sharp Naval Career man and Chief Warrant Officer (E-8 I believe). I'm very proud of him and also of my 1st cousin who just retired from the USMC as a Lt. Col. My nephew has put in for retirement, but because of all the $$ they have put into him, they may not let him go yet.

Greality-GDT-100818-1-300x200.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

My nephew stands at parade rest as his ship sails under the Golden Gate bridge during the S.F.  U.S.Navy Fleet Week. He is the CWO in charge of all communications and computer systems on board ship. Some 23 years ago my brother kicked him out of the house for not working while hanging around some questionable losers who were also going nowhere. He joined the Navy and eventually got so good at his job that he was assigned to the joint services top notch world combat team that operated out of Ft. Bragg. He went through all the special warfare schools, communications/computer schools and even jump school to a be a part of that major command group. Smart kid who grew up to be a very sharp Naval Career man and Chief Warrant Officer (E-8 I believe). I'm very proud of him and also of my 1st cousin who just retired from the USMC as a Lt. Col. My nephew has put in for retirement, but because of all the $$ they have put into him, they may not let him go yet.

Good for him and those involved around him.

On 10/11/2018 at 8:17 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

He's a SCPO (Senior Chief) (E8), not a Chief Warrant Officer.  I retired from the Navy as an E9 (Master at Arms).  (Master Chief).

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

He's a SCPO (Senior Chief) (E8), not a Chief Warrant Officer.  I retired from the Navy as an E9 (Master at Arms).  (Master Chief).

Thanks. Navy has weird ranks so I didn't know what E-8 translated to. Damn squids!🐙

EDIT: What would an E-7 be in the Navy?

34 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Thanks. Navy has weird ranks so I didn't know what E-8 translated to. Damn squids!🐙

EDIT: What would an E-7 be in the Navy?

I got out of the Army as a CPL (E4) in 1973.  Went into the Navy as an OSVET (Other Service Veteran) in 1976 as an E4.    An E7 in the Navy is a Chief Petty officer (CPO).  Same as a SFC in the Army.

I was just thinking about our Gipper touring across America and was thinking about one of my carry on staples.......a cheap, simple, AM/FM radio with a few basic requirements:

1. Must have a lanyard. 2. A light color easy to see/find at night. 3. Simple operation 3 buttons/switcher here. 4. Cheap, lose it no big deal. 5. Two AA batteries.

Here is my eheap pocket size radio, great for sports, news, weather, et. It was $15.45 in November 2016 when I bought it from Amazon, discontinued model......but still there years later, an Amazon thing, they're around forever, sometimes.. Not even a stereo, just as you see it. Hmmmm, now $21.99? I have many better radios this is definately NOT one.

Screenshot_2018-10-16-08-58-07.png

I just completed a trip to northwest Iowa, and environs, and while there I visited the following new  National Park Units:

Pipestone National Monument.    This is in fairly much the southwest part of Minnesota. This park centers around the quarries, ancient and current, where the rare stone material "Catlanite" is  mined. This fairly bright red stone material. Pipestone (Catlinite) is the sacred red clay stone that American Indians use for making prayer and ceremonial pipes. It is found in only a few places in the world. Only native Americans are allowed to quarry for the pipestone currently and only under approved licensing. Within the park, in addition to the quarries, there is a very scenic trail along cliff sides where the pipestone is often seen.

Missouri National Recreational River. A100-mile stretch of North America's longest river, a vestige of the untamed American West.  Two free flowing stretches of the Missouri (undammed) make up the National Park. This park is both South Dakota and Nebraska.  I drove into parts of it from Yankton SD to Sioux City Iowa.

Parks I had already been to but revisited:  Effigy Mounds National Monument, in eastern Iowa.

This now makes  349 of the 417  National Park units that I have visited.

• 2 weeks later...

well, I'll bet that Gipper has never been here:

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/conrad-maldives-underwater-villa

lol.

question - some friends called, asked if we would be interested in the four of us going to Yellowstone, etc.

Never been out west. What all is out that way that we won't want to miss?

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

lol.

question - some friends called, asked if we would be interested in the four of us going to Yellowstone, etc.

Looks like some 007 stuff.....but interesting.

8 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

lol.

At least the drive through Rocky Mountain National Park on Trail Ridge Road. I know it's a little out of the way from a direct drive to Yellowstone, but well worth it for the spectacular mountain views. If you go in the summer let me know when and I can be your guide. Also the Grand Tetons just south of Yellowstone. Got to see that.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I once saw a copperhead ouside my front door.  Just repainted my house:

image.jpeg.b2e3bd4e3b1736c1041d8f1c5740f586.jpeg

That there is the best kind of girlfriend to have.Bet she never gives you any sh-it about anything. Just sits on that rail and stays quiet.😍

16 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

lol.

Tell you probably want to read this entire thread to get some ideas and some stuff. I’m on my phone so this is not the best way for me to answer that question but I can give you a few highlights as far as out West. He obviously going to Yellowstone is a top place. Yosemite national Park in California. The Grand Canyon. Crater lake in Oregon. I guess the real question is which parts of the West do you want to visit ? It’s a big country

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2018 at 10:14 PM, calfoxwc said:

lol.

If you happen to be passing by the Little Bighorn here is some history for you. Just so you know I don't let political differences get in the way of relationships with people I have more in common with than not. One of my best friends is a former Special Forces/Secret Service big time Trump supporter with whom I share racquetball, the Vietnam experience and love of the outdoors. We have ongoing emails and personal conversations on politics, but we also have ongoing shared interests which we discuss as well. I like him and he likes me so "there it is" as they say. I love the West, history, hiking the trails and firearms. So does my younger brother who is further right than you if you can believe that's possible. He would think John Birchers are pinko commies. Now with him we just stay away from politics except when I am sharing my likes of Republicans I'd rather see running the country.

There  is one glaring mistake in the narrative in this video, "For thousands of years Indian tribes road the northern plains...." Not until the Spanish introduced the horse to the Americas did they ride anything unless somebody found a way to tame a buffalo.  LOL!😁

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2018 at 2:33 PM, The Gipper said:

Tell you probably want to read this entire thread to get some ideas and some stuff. I’m on my phone so this is not the best way for me to answer that question but I can give you a few highlights as far as out West. He obviously going to Yellowstone is a top place. Yosemite national Park in California. The Grand Canyon. Crater lake in Oregon. I guess the real question is which parts of the West do you want to visit ? It’s a big country

Since we both got sick this past week we had to cancel going to Boston/R.I., but we have rescheduled to go again Memorial Day week with two of her sisters & husbands and are staying that Fri-Monday at Whaler's Inn in Mystic Seaport. One of the reasons I loved Melville's Moby Dick was the details in the book about how the whaling ships operated. This is the big attraction in Mystic for me, the last remaining wooden hulled whaler, Charles W. Morgan, which is moored there. Have any of you been there?

https://www.mysticseaport.org/explore/morgan/