THE BROWNS BOARD

Mccoy Traded

Mark O

What's laughable is how many times I've heard this same old line. What if he goes on and wins a Super Bowl? People said the same crap about couch, holcombe, frye, Anderson, Quinn, etc. face it: the browns have drafted a bunch of dud QBs with backup potential. I wouldn't doubt if colt does okay should he be put it in a game. But backup QBs don't take teams to the playoffs each year. Colt mcCoy had a chance to prove his worth and he was just not good enough. I don't see how hard that is. JRB

No, I don't believe people said the same things about those other players, ever. And Colt didn't have a viable right tackle. Truth is, he got the Bernie Kosar treatment,

bashed into a half second after taking snaps, no short striding, get open fast wr's, and yeah, he didn't have a strong arm. Testeverde did. He sucked. DA sure did,

and he sucked too.

Colt didn't have the big arm, though he had everything else.

Several of us said that about Kosar, back in the day. All beaten up, broken fingers, wrists and elbow healed up as much as possible, he went on to play in a championship game

for Dallas, after only so many days with his new team, played most of the second half, and won the game when Aikman was hurt, out of the game. And Kosar did get his super bowl ring.

In other words, immobile or not, the Browns should have been drafting offensive linemen to protect any qb they had. Bernie Kosar got the hell beaten out of him. And, it wasn't

all about being imoobile, either - it was lack of offensive line blocking. Colt was bigtime mobile, and he often had no chance in hell of running a play unless it was to the left side.

Brian Sipe didn't have a huge arm either. But he had receivers, and an oline that did the job, even if Dieken did have to hold every so often....

Here, btw, is a nice 2010 article on Kosar....

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2010/08/in_second_half_of_his_life_for.html

All I can say is you must have severely looked past the numerous forums on here and articles about the guys saying the same crap about the previous QB's and "not getting a fair chance". Maybe not as much for DA, but good lord Quinn had a whole gay following for goodness sake.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it's worth, a little play with the draft pick calculator tells us that the value of the 5th and 7th round picks we got from SF is 28.5, and our 6th was 23.2 - overall value of Colt McCoy in the draft was evidently 5.3, or something like a mid-high 7th round pick.

Also, not sure if it's already been posted but there was apparently a second team interested in Colt. Just rumours, obviously.

i here ya.

my thought is if we find out this year that weeden isn't the guy, mccoy has been traded.....kinda tells me that homlgren really fucked us in his guru thinking that he could catch lightning in a bottle again...and totally failed.

maybe this FO can find that diamond in a rough with a late round pick? don't know. just hate the draft misses we have had since '99 for that position.

really hoping weeden WILL do it. if not, then 2014 best QB available, if not trade up to get our next kosar or sipe.

Our team hasn't been as complete as it is now since I've been watching every game(2007), so any quarterbacks we've had didn't stand quite nearly the chance that Weeden and any quarterback will have to win some games with this team next year and in the future

Our team hasn't been as complete as it is now since I've been watching every game(2007), so any quarterbacks we've had didn't stand quite nearly the chance that Weeden and any quarterback will have to win some games with this team next year and in the future

That is very true. And I think this is why without question we will know this year wether or not Weeden can play in the NFL. He has some skill players to work with, a good RB, good OL and one of the best offensive play callers in the business and a coach who wants to run an offense around his skills.

If Weeden fails this year, he's done in the NFL pretty quickly.

What's laughable is how many times I've heard this same old line. What if he goes on and wins a Super Bowl? People said the same crap about couch, holcombe, frye, Anderson, Quinn, etc. face it: the browns have drafted a bunch of dud QBs with backup potential. I wouldn't doubt if colt does okay should he be put it in a game. But backup QBs don't take teams to the playoffs each year. Colt mcCoy had a chance to prove his worth and he was just not good enough. I don't see how hard that is.

i think the people that said colt will go on to win a super bowl are joking.

i also think you must be joking to think anyone thought or said the same about the list of QBs you mentioned.

how was couch going to go on to win the super bowl when his shoulder is still buried on the home side 20 yard line of the CBS?

i think the people that said colt will go on to win a super bowl are joking.

i also think you must be joking to think anyone thought or said the same about the list of QBs you mentioned.

how was couch going to go on to win the super bowl when his shoulder is still buried on the home side 20 yard line?

History shows that the Super Bowl losing team will not be winning the Super Bowl this year. Such a thing has not happened since the first couple of years of the AFL/NFL merger.

A whole lot better than releasing him. We got at least something that might turn into something useful for someone who had no future with the Browns.

win win for everyone..

Pretty sneaky by Banner. I remember a statement from him that the Browns had no interest in releasing any of their QBs, and then a few days later this happened. I am pretty sure that we got Billy Winn in the 5th last year. Hopefully we can do it again with an ILB or OG this year.

a quality individual, a leader on and off the field, an excellent role model for our children, a player that gave us 100%

Perhaps a player by the name of Joe Thomas, named one of the three finalists for the 2013 Walter Camp Award which Witten won, can somehow fill that bottomless chasm. Also, he's the best player in the NFL at his position for the 8th year in a row.. I'm pretty sure he gives about 95% of his maximum possible effort.

I'm still the chief engineer of the round 7 Ryan Griffin [QB/Tulane] train.. he may not be an All-Pro, but he'll be a cheaper and more productive backup than Campbell.

Pretty sneaky by Banner. I remember a statement from him that the Browns had no interest in releasing any of their QBs, and then a few days later this happened. I am pretty sure that we got Billy Winn in the 5th last year. Hopefully we can do it again with an ILB or OG this year.

Well, they didn't release any QB, they traded him, which they said they were willing to do.

Yep...we were so much better with his sterling 6 wins in 21 starts.

While I have to say that I am very glad that we did get a little bit of something for Colt, I have to ask...How many wins did Weeden get for us this year? And didn't he have a lot more talent around him than Colt had?

No...I am not saying that Colt was the answer or that we should have kept him. But, at some point, the Browns have got to give a QB some actual time to develop. or we will be stuck under .500 for many more years to come.

While I have to say that I am very glad that we did get a little bit of something for Colt, I have to ask...How many wins did Weeden get for us this year?

5 wins in 15 starts. This is the the year we will find out if Weeden is the answer or if we are drafting or trading for a QB for 2014. Everything is there for him to succeed from the coaching staff to the players surrounding him on offense. If he doesn't show considerable improvement this year, we are going to be going in a different direction next season.

After looking over many posts in San Francisco , I get a better view of Colt in the eye's of the NFL nation . Most 49r Fans like this trade . Most Cleveland fan are mixed . The first thing you notice about Colt is his obvious youth. He looks like a 19 year old Kid still .

This typifies most comments made on the 49rs Pages.

49rrr fan

I agree with everyone else, this is a great trade! Colt McCoy is exactly what you want in a backup quarterback. Smart, tough, reliable. Good player, great teammate. Young, but experienced. Cheap contract. Gave up basically nothing for him. I’ve liked him since his college days and he never had much of a chance in Cleveland.

He’s no superstar, but he’s probably one of the best 40 or so quarterbacks in the league. Definitely solid enough to be Kaep’s backup. I like Tolzien too, but I have a lot more confidence in McCoy should Kaep go down with an injury.

So, everybody gets what they want and Hopefully the browns can take that pick and move up one more time . If they do that we all can forget Colt and Move on .

"It was a bad match when the Browns used a third-round pick on McCoy in 2010. He lacked a strong arm, which is a necessity to throw in the lakefront winds of Cleveland. McCoy went 6-15 as the Browns starter."

Strange statement. If he lacked the strength to throw in the lakefront winds of Cleveland, how can he throw at Candlestick?

The 49ers did not give up much. Lower round picks don't generally make the roster of a contending team anyway. IMHO that pick is actually worth quite a lot more to the Browns. They can use it to add depth. Anyone know if the Browns had to pick up some of Colt's salary? This surprised me and in certain ways it does not add up. I thought he would be cut and then someone would pick him up at the league minimum. A lot of teams would have loved to sign as a backup, on those terms, an NFL quarterback who has started 20 games....even if his arm is not the strongest.

Weird that he is three years younger than the player who replaced him.

"It was a bad match when the Browns used a third-round pick on McCoy in 2010. He lacked a strong arm, which is a necessity to throw in the lakefront winds of Cleveland. McCoy went 6-15 as the Browns starter."

Strange statement. If he lacked the strength to throw in the lakefront winds of Cleveland, how can he throw at Candlestick?

The 49ers did not give up much. Lower round picks don't generally make the roster of a contending team anyway. IMHO that pick is actually worth quite a lot more to the Browns. They can use it to add depth. Anyone know if the Browns had to pick up some of Colt's salary? This surprised me and in certain ways it does not add up. I thought he would be cut and then someone would pick him up at the league minimum. A lot of teams would have loved to sign as a backup, on those terms, an NFL quarterback who has started 20 games....even if his arm is not the strongest.

Weird that he is three years younger than the player who replaced him.

Wierd because niether Brian Sipe nor Frank Ryan had strong arms and did quite well here in cleveland...hey...ever hear of Joe Montana and the swirling winds of candle stick...??

the experts discussing matt barkley and his place in the upcoming draft paint a mirror picture of colt mccoy, yet they are projecting him to go in the 2nd.

if you watched excerpts of barkley's pro day it's like a mirror image of mccoy, yet he is getting respect. same throws on the run, same deep passes that take forever to get to deep receivers.

don't they remember things such as colt mccoy and how his career has gone until now?

Wierd because niether Brian Sipe nor Frank Ryan had strong arms and did quite well here in cleveland...hey...ever hear of Joe Montana and the swirling winds of candle stick...??

Well, correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the 49ers no longer playing at Candlestick? Aren't they going into their new stadium in Santa Clara this coming season?

Who knows what the winds will be like in there. (Its not a retractible dome, is it?)

Well, correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the 49ers no longer playing at Candlestick? Aren't they going into their new stadium in Santa Clara this coming season?

Who knows what the winds will be like in there. (Its not a retractible dome, is it?)

I honestly dont know Gip...I was just lamenting the fact the Joe Montana himself was blessed with not a strong arm and fared quite well with the unpredictable winds of then Candlestick Park.

So they will be the Santa Clara 49'ers.

No, they will still be the San Francisco 49ers. About half the teams in the NFL do not play in the city they are named after....or in some cases a team isn't even named after a city:

New England Patriots/Tennessee Titans/Arizona Cardinals/Minnesota Vikings.

Neither the Giants or the Jets play in New York, they play in East Rutherford NJ

The Buffalo Bills play in Orchard Park NY (and one game in Toronto)

The Washington Redskins play in Landover MD.

The Miami Dolphins play in what is now called Miami Gardens Fla, (it used to be something else)

There is some question as to whether of not the Green Bay Packers play in Green Bay. A map check may be necessary, but they may play in Ashwabenon.

Same with the Kansas City Chiefs. I thought they played in Independence.

The Dallas Cowboys haven't played in Dallas in decades. First in Irving, now Arlington.

Upon a double check, the Chiefs and the Packers do play in KC and Green Bay, but their stadiums are right on the border with those other towns.

Archived