THE BROWNS BOARD

Traing camp reports

Zombo

MarQueis Gray back at practice today. Working with FBs/RBs despite being listed as TE. I still see him as our starting FB this season.

If he can lead block, he'll be a dangerous weapon in the backfield. Im rooting for him, but the mentality needed for that position isnt really something you can teach.

I heard Mingo looked awesome and Miles Austin was really sharp. QBs sloppy on first day. Anyone else hear anything?

Z

I saw on the channel 3 news that Mingo made an interception at the goal line

Heard on radio that Manziel came out in neon yellow shoes and was sent back in to change them, then came out in his regular shoes.

Heard the Mingo buzz as well... Also heard that Pettine was using Sheard as he did SuperMario in Buffalo and so far he's been impressed by Sheard's ability to deliver in that role.

Terrance West turned heads.

Report I heard today said Pettine tested West with all kinds of blitz looks today and West surprised Mike by handling them all.

Heard on radio that Manziel came out in neon yellow shoes and was sent back in to change them, then came out in his regular shoes.

LOL... thought ought to be good for a half-hour on NFL Live...

Nike probably pissed, there were probably planning to roll out the JFF Neon on Monday.

I'm hearing reports that there could be something serious with Pinkston, anyone else hear anything?

From Mary Kay...

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/07/cleveland_browns_training_camp_71.html

Jason Pinkston out indefinitely

Pettine revealed that Jason Pinkston is unavailable for practice, but that he's not at liberty to say why right now. He said it's a possibility that Pinkston will return at some point.

"I cannot comment on it any further,'' Pettine said. "I want to give you more, but just given the circumstances, I can't. That's where we are with Jason."

Asked if Pinkston will come back, he said, "possibility."

On if it's health related, Pettine said, "I will not speak on it further."

Pinkston tweeted, "I can assure you I'm in no legal trouble and retiring hasn't come up. As far as my situation, I'll leave it to them to explain.''

Pinkston's agent, Neil Schwartz, declined to comment.

Pinkston missed 10 games in 2012 with a blood clot in his lung, but it's unknown if this absence is related.

One other bit I read mentioned that Pinky's agent was fond of hold-outs. But how it might apply here is beyond me.

EDIT: Unless he has some incentive clauses related to playing time and sees Bitonio's arrival as hurting his paydays... Could be wanting to "restructure"...

He should come out in a rainbow tutu, in support of Michael Sams. Kidding.

JFF is going to realize real soon the NFL uniform police are mighty picky as to what you wear on the field- ofr not.

Pinkston not doing himself any favors here. It's a shame, he could have adapted well to Shanny scheme I believe.

We can certainly live without him with Greco, McQuiz and Gilkey.

Zombo

Pinkston not doing himself any favors here. It's a shame, he could have adapted well to Shanny scheme I believe.

We can certainly live without him with Greco, McQuiz and Gilkey.

Zombo

They said he was not Medically cleared for Football . . . . more Blood Clots, or something else this time ?

Also saw that OL Faulk was released by the Browns today.

This one surprised me as he was working with the 1's the past two days.

Another note I've seen about TC is that Pettine is high on CB Trufant.

Said something to the effect that he and Hawkins looked liked a Mirror image (in regards to coverage).

Hawkin's has been wowing the crowd so far from what I'm hearing.

Things are starting to get interesting again ^_^

Some interesting Twitterverse notes.

Story we're all quite familiar with :

Nate Ulrich @NateUlrichABJ · 2h #Browns RB coach Wilbert Montgomery spent past 6 yrs as #Ravens RB coach. He revealed what BAL coaches would say about CLE (see next tweet).

Nate Ulrich @NateUlrichABJ · 2h Montgomery on #Ravens staff's take on #Browns: "It's going to a dog fight, but if we hang in there long enough, they will find a way to lose"

Joe Thomas on Hoyer :

Nate Ulrich @NateUlrichABJ · 1h Thomas says #Browns have utmost respect for Hoyer, even though he has only 4 #NFL starts. Said Hoyer acts like he's taken team to 5 playoffs

On our RT, I always thought it was the supporting cast (or lack thereof) for most of the early issues last year :

Nate Ulrich @NateUlrichABJ · 42m If you didn't know, #Browns LT Joe Thomas spells this out about Mitchell Schwartz: "There's no competition at all. He is the starter at RT."

O-Line eval to this point :

Scott Petrak ct @ScottPetrak · 2h #Browns OL struggled in pass protection first 3 days. Coach Mike Pettine attributed it to exotic defensive scheme being ahead of O install.

&

Scott Petrak ct @ScottPetrak · 2h #Browns LT Joe Thomas said if it looks like offense is getting butt kicked early in camp, it's because it is.

on a plus note

Scott Petrak ct @ScottPetrak · 2h #Browns LT Joe Thomas is a fan of the read option being installed. Also likes zone blocking scheme. Said creates big holes.

I think I read that CB Gilbert had a pick and few pass knock downs.

Skrine's supposed to be doing good too.

Rookie LB Kirksey picked off a Manziel pass, and I believe he schooled West on some Blitz pickup/blocking.

Cameron's feeling good about things right now :

Scott Petrak ct @ScottPetrak · 1h #Browns TE Cameron on possible coverage by CBs this year: the confidence I have, it doesn’t really matter who they put in front of you

Not really a TC item, but the Preview thread looks to be nothing but P***ing contest.

Here's an article by Grossi on WR Charles Johnson - the guy we pulled off of Green Bays PS and then found out about a bad ACL :

Player-to-watch alert: Charles Johnson, the receiver the Browns signed off the Green Bay practice squad last October only to discover he had a torn ACL, has been a revelation in the first days of training camp.

Physically imposing (6-2 ½, 215), deceptively fast (4.38 40 time) and surprisingly up to speed on the Kyle Shanahan offense, Johnson could be the receiver that comes out of nowhere to lessen the impact of – if not offset -- the impending suspension of Josh Gordon.

. . .

But the intrigue of this player stretches beyond his physical appearance.

Johnson participated fully on the Packers’ practice squad well into October despite recurring pain in his left knee and at least one MRI that revealed a slight tear of the anterior cruciate ligament.

I asked him why he did that.

“It wasn’t a pain I couldn’t get through,” he said. “I’ve got people that depend on me, so I’m out there working. The pain is temporary, but quitting is forever. It was hurting sometimes, but once the ball was snapped I couldn’t feel nothing.”

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=35231

Stats wise, the guy sounds a lot like Gordon.

If only we were so lucky . . .

Archived