THE BROWNS BOARD

mmgw - the debate is over - it's baloney

calfoxwc

yes, every single site that posts what you don't like is invalid, Cleve.

You think your favorite liberal sites

will post anything that doesn't fly with mmgw?

come on, think about that one for at least a minute...

I'm no moron, you are alone in that regard.

I'm just a big goofy comedian of sorts. But your point

is still well taken.

Cal- the only real debate is whether or not this warming is due to man made or natural causes. I've seen some of it first hand. Alaskan glaciers have retreated miles from where they were in the 1800s. In 1900 Glacier Bay wasn't even a bay- it was an ice shelf.

And speaking of ice shelfs- if\when this one goes- it's adios NYC and Miami- and a lot of other places. http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/11/just-nudge-could-collapse-west-antarctic-ice-sheet-raise-sea-levels-3-meters

Um, the Antarctic Ice sheets hold 7.2 million cubic miles of ice, as Frank Zappa would have said- "I might be movin' to Montana soon"

It's true that some weather patterns are changing.

some glaciers are melting - we've seen in first hand, too,

on our cruise to Alaska - the Hubbard Glacier.

Trouble is, ice is growing other places.

As far as flooding goes, I don't get it. When water freezes, it expands,

as in busted pipes, etc.

So, if the displacement of glaciers/icebergs are mostly underwater (the vast

majority of an iceberg is understand).... is great, then when it melts...

the displacement is less. The ice age melted away before there was ever one

reason to try to blame it on people.

There weren't any. I don't think dinasaur farts did it either.

Global climate changes. They have found ocean fossiles in deserts, mountains, etc.

It just happens, the earth spins, weather changes, and the weather changes

seem to be very much influenced by sun activity, or the lack thereof.

mmgw is a crock, globally. It just is.

Cal, the earth is a system..it wants to maintain a balance. Who/what/where that balance comes from is something that scientists have been chasing since they realized the entire universe functions that way. Perhaps this is where god comes in who knows....but in any case ice forming in other places doesnt mean theres still not a net loss.

Maybe tomorrow I'll weigh in more, but here's a couple thoughts for tonite...

1. Net ice is decreasing with Antarctic gains insufficient to offset northern hemisphere losses.
  2. Yes, ice is less dense than water, but massive amounts of ice are on land, e.g., Greenland and Antarctica, so when that ice enters the water, be it as water or ice, seas rise.
  3. Green house gases are real.
    1. Air (nitrogen/oxygen) are essentially non-factors in the energy balance Cleve mentions. They are poor insulators and their molecular structure is unaffected by infrared light. So by and large a day's worth of adsorbed IR energy, that not immediately reflected by clouds, ice, and, yes, white roofs is lost overnite.
    2. On the other hand CO2 is not neutral. It is excited by IR, heats up and holds that heat. Methane (CH4) is many times more active in this role... 70 to 80 times worse in fact (GWP scale). Nitrous oxides are worse yet. But the amount of CO2 emitted is far greater than any other actors.
    3. The CO2 is persistent and accumulates.
  4. Burning fossil fuels also generates water. I believe this is a relatively minor factor as I have not been able to find any reference on it, but any water generated ultimately ends up in the seas.

The North/South hemisphere ice "shift" is interesting. It may not be more than coincidental, but it is interesting to note that the gas emissions of the North far outweigh those of the South.

cal, if you can't make an effort to communicate, then I can't be bothered to click on your incessant links.

Stuart

In the meantime....

A group of adventurers, sailors, pilots and climate scientists that recently started a journey around the North Pole in an effort to show the lack of ice, has been blocked from further travels by....too much fuckin ICE!

http://dailycaller.com/2016/07/20/global-warming-expedition-stopped-in-its-tracks-by-arctic-sea-ice/

FDnYCBzl.jpg

Archived