THE BROWNS BOARD

Interesting

Bob806

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2012/08/coal_miners_lost_pay_when_mitt.html#incart_river_default

Be careful what you wish for. Obama was elected because most of America wanted "change."

I'm not blaming this incident/event on Romney, but I do blame his R party requiring "mandatory attendance" at the event, and losing a day's pay. It's what I've been preaching all along- the Rs & Ds really don't have our country's interest at heart. Only their party's interest- shame shame shame.

This looks real bad to me if you are a R seeking "change." Pay the workers who were intimidated/coerced to attend, it's the right thing to do.

from the comments-

"This article is very amusing to say the least. First, to make attendance at a political rally mandatory is just plain wrong. If they workers are offered time without pay to attend the rally and enough take advantage of this that the mine has to shut down then so be it. The question was asked why should a worker not be paid if the mine is shut down? Guess you could call it a day lay off. I remember plenty of those back when I was a union dockworker.

From what I understand of the current administrations energy plan, its to reduce coal. That of course will result in a loss of jobs in the coal industry." ""...

I'm not in a union exactly for this reason, you want a union? fine... but then prepare yourself for the inevitable "lay-offs"

I can guarentee you that if this rally were done at a private business, the workers GET paid and the choice of whether or not to attend.

So where exactly is the "R" party telling the unions what to do? When it was the company itself who donated $900k to the R party over 2 years.

and invited Romney to come in and support the coal industry.....again, union workers are beholden to the union bosses not the R party.....

How can a political event be mandatory?

All it does is look bad for your party(even if its not party members but donors).

also Fair likely the union agreed with the bosses or at least didn't say not to go. Unions now a days have really lost what they used to stand for, and focus to much on being a political chip and not enough on protecting workers from actual issues/abuse.

How can a political event be mandatory?

If the owner of your place of work is a dickfor and shuts it down for a political rally, then tells you that you have to go and decides not to pay you.

I don't think you can pay people to attend a rally for a political event, unless they are working there.

Moore told Blomquist that managers "communicated to our workforce that the attendance at the Romney event was mandatory, but no one was forced to attend." Wouldn't having your boss tell you its mandatory, force people to attend? Granted I would know enough about elections rules to know that they couldn't directly take any action for not showing, but that doesn't mean the average coal miner would know that.

The reason they're doing it is because $$$ > votes.

That in a nutshell is the problem. They value policy more than their own workers, truly sad.

man·da·to·ry   /ˈmændəˌtɔri, -ˌtoʊri/ Show Spelled [man-duh-tawr-ee, -tohr-ee] Show IPA adjective, noun, plural man·da·to·ries.

adjective

1. authoritatively ordered; obligatory; compulsory: It is mandatory that all students take two years of math.

I don't think you can pay people to attend a rally for a political event, unless they are working there.

Doesn't seem like you could force them to attend without taking a roll call signing in etcetera.

And at that point you put in some hours.

But I suppose anybody can close a business for a day.

WSS

Archived