THE BROWNS BOARD

He's back. Now what?

Westside Steve

"Then, actually, we were just going through the roster, where we were with each guy"

Was there an awkward silence when they got to Dawyne Bowe?

Pet: "Ummm .... "

Farmer: *Clears Throat*

Pet: "He almost caught a pass this week"

Farmer: "Is that receptionist in Payroll new?"

Pet: "Moving on ..."

Zombo

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2015/10/6/9468345/browns-gm-ray-farmer-returns-shakes-up-practice-squad

Browns GM Ray Farmer Returns, Shakes up Practice Squad

Ray Farmer is back and making moves.
The Browns general manager returned Monday from his four-game suspension for Textgate. Following a meeting with head coach Mike Pettine, Farmer proceeded to alter the practice squad roster.
On Monday, the Browns signed offensive lineman Ronald Patrick. On Tuesday, the club signed defensive lineman Ray Drew and defensive back Ty Zimmerman.
The Browns released offensive lineman Andrew McDonald, defensive lineman Dylan Wynn, and offensive lineman Garth Gerhart to make room on the practice squad.
Patrick entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent last season with the Cowboys. The South Carolina product spent time on the Cowboys' and Steelers' practice squads in 2014. Patrick spent two weeks on Dallas' practice squad this season before his release on September 29. The 6'2, 308 pound offensive lineman has not yet played in an NFL game.
Drew signed with the Dolphins as an undrafted free agent in May before Miami released him at the end of training camp. The 6'4, 282 pound defensive lineman spent his college days at the University of Georgia, where he accrued 113 total tackles, 13 tackles for loss, and seven sacks in 46 games. According to his NFL Draft profile, Drew played tackle and end in a 4-3 scheme and end in a 3-4 system. The former five star recruit did not live up to the hype in his career at Georgia.
Zimmerman signed with the Seahawks as an undrafted free agent in May before Seattle cut him at the end of training camp. The 6'0, 213 pound prospect enjoyed a stellar career at Oregon State, starting three seasons at safety. The South Carolina native topped the Beavers with 91 tackles and three interceptions.
Farmer's first three moves since his return are not earth-shattering, but could be a sign of his readiness to make moves this week.

Get em Ray!

I support him. Right now I like him more than Pettine. He's given us a solid offense despite having the highest paid D in the league. He's given us a whole bunch of guys on defense. It's not his fault Haden and Whitner have decided to sleepwalk through the first few games. Same with Dansby. I'll admit Krueger may have been a questionable pickup. But overall it's the coaches that have had talent put in their laps and done nothing with it, not Farmer bringing in bad talent. I don't put Gilbert on Farmer either.

Of course that's with the exception of Bowe, but one has to admit there was some potential there, we had the money, and there's a decent chance no one else would take it.

Looks like a bunch of PS adjusting based upon injury patterns. I liked Zimmerman as a sleeper-ish DB prospect. A bit surprised to see Dylan Wynn go.

Kruger pre-dated Farmer as GM by a year.

I would like to ask Ray what motivated him to sign Bowe? Did we do "due diligence" before signing him? Huge mistake.

I still am optimistic about Farmer but this far in now as GM I hate to see horrible bust signings like this.

Im not defending the signing of Bowe, because its looking to be a bust.....but Id say its the first big FA bust Farmers had.....Housler is a bit of a bust too, but we got him on the cheap....

I would say his motivation & due diligence was that he came from KC and was there for most of Bowes career....so Farmer did have first hand info and knowledge of Bowe before signing him.....

Looks like a botched decision though....

Archived