THE BROWNS BOARD

Soft coaching. Soft Results.

WalterWhite

He didn't like the low level of authority he had and wanted more playmakers. Ray Farmer won't add a WR to this team, Shanahan wanted one. That's probably the main reason - he was worried his system wouldn't work without a talented #1 WR and a talented QB.

So Farmer thinks (and maybe Pettine) that this league can still be a running game? Just asking here. The run is important, but the way the league has devolved, the passing game is where the offense can hit. The running game can be utilized, but both have to work in tandem.

I'd like to know also what is going on with Hartline. I liked the pick up. I thought he was going to be able to get open more. Or is McCown just missing him?

sure there has been some major fails from the front office but show me 5 teams that have consistently hit on first rounders?

half you complainers loved the TR pick. or how about you geniuses "we have to trade everything for RG3!"? where are you little fuckers now? i knew clowney would be a bust. i knew winston would be a bust.

shit ain't easy. if it was walter would be a GM.

Just like everyone is saying about me and Mariota - it's too early to call Winston a bust. Same goes for Clowney.

I did not like the TR pick, and I still think a team can benefit from RG3 if he's utilized correctly. Any single guy that's drafted in the NFL has the talent to be successful, the problem is whether or not he's in the right system and whether or not he's utilized correctly.

Even the worst QB on the field can give his team a chance to win, if he's in a system that complements him - as witnessed yesterday. McCown played absolutely on fire yesterday, in case anyone didn't recognize. Top 5 in the league in rating and yards, all the while being sacked four times.

Pettine/Farmer's offensive philosophy held true yesterday, we were able to put together a strong offensive performance. The defense is what lost us the game. San Diego had scored a combined 34 points in the past two games, and we allowed them to put up 30. It's few and far between where you can score 27 and not win - 22 teams scored less than 27 points yesterday.

Yesterday was encouraging, in every single way. We lost because we're dumb, not because we were outplayed. It's rare that's happened to us lately, and that's why I'm laughing at everyone who is flipping their lids over yesterday. We giftwrapped the Chargers almost 100 yards, then gave them two kicks to win it. Even with our shitty defense playing shitty shit.

Coaching mistakes can be fixed. McCown has looked serviceable to downright good in the last two games. Benjamin is looking strong, Hartline is a clone of what Austin provided last year, and CrowDuke finally looked like they were worth the time of day.

So fuck Shanahan. McCown threw for more yards and more TD's yesterday and is half of the QB that Ryan is, at a infinitesimal amount of the price tag. Give Flip a #1 WR like Julio, and he'd be able to draw up the same gameplan with the same results. Shanahan wasn't anything special.

So Farmer thinks (and maybe Pettine) that this league can still be a running game? Just asking here. The run is important, but the way the league has devolved, the passing game is where the offense can hit. The running game can be utilized, but both have to work in tandem.

I'd like to know also what is going on with Hartline. I liked the pick up. I thought he was going to be able to get open more. Or is McCown just missing him?

This league is a balanced league, if anything.

The Patriots were exactly 16th in the league in passing play percentage (59.59%), while Seattle was 31st in passing play percentage (48.56%).

Top passing teams from 2014 -

Oakland

Chicago

Atlanta

Jacksonville

New Orleans

Indianapolis

Detroit

Tampa Bay

Granted, some of this is exacerbated by game situation (being behind = passing more) but the teams that commonly are thought to be passing teams (Detroit, New Orleans, Atlanta) don't have much postseason success so much as the ones that are more balanced (Pittsburgh, New England, Denver, Giants, Baltimore, Green Bay).

You either play to your strengths when they are overwhelming, or you play to your opponents weaknesses. You either put a player on the field who can't be stopped or you don't give your opponents a gameplan for how to beat you. Everybody and their mother knew Marshawn Lynch was running the ball last year...didn't matter. He was going to run it down your throat until you crammed 9 in the box, and then Wilson was going to hit you over top.

Conversely, New England prides themselves on being sufficient at every aspect of the game. They've had a different receiving and rushing leader each year for the past three years. You tip your hand and show blitz, Brady audibles to a quick hitch. You show man coverage, Brady changes the formation and flexes out a slot WR wide, then hits you over the top when your LB can't cover. You walk out with 8 in the box, Brady PA's his RB, streaks his flanker, posts his slot, and slants his backside TE to fill. Then, when you're worried about all of those things and you're sitting back on your heels, he hands it off up the middle and you get caught with your thumb up someone else's ass.

If you give your opponents a gameplan how to beat you, they'll eventually figure it out. If you're sufficient at every level and have a QB who knows how to distribute to the open man, you'll be just fine.

That's what I think Pettine and Farmer believe. That's why they aren't going out and getting a top WR. That's why they aren't investing in a workhorse back. That's why we're running a mixture of zone and power up front. They are getting this time reps under fire in a number of situations because we don't have a true strength.

Shanny got here going from Weedone & Hoyer to Hoyer & Manzielmania lead to systemmania that lead to Textmania. That's should wrap it up for ya :o. Matt Ryan might sign Shanny's checks with the money sign for years.

Even the worst QB on the field can give his team a chance to win, if he's in a system that complements him - as witnessed yesterday. McCown played absolutely on fire yesterday, in case anyone didn't recognize. Top 5 in the league in rating and yards, all the while being sacked four times.

So fuck Shanahan. McCown threw for more yards and more TD's yesterday and is half of the QB that Ryan is, at a infinitesimal amount of the price tag. Give Flip a #1 WR like Julio, and he'd be able to draw up the same gameplan with the same results. Shanahan wasn't anything special.

Thank you. Glad someone else recognizes the offense is playing well. If our defense even just played as well as last year we can win some games.. Baltimore's offense blows. And no Steve Smith sr this week so we have a chance.

Even with our shitty defense playing shitty shit.

And people say your defensive analysis pales in comparison to your offensive...

Archived