THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey: The Greatest!

The Gipper

Here is this week's survey. Give your answers or opinions:

1. What is the Greatest moment in Browns history that you have ever witnessed?

2. What was the Greatest Team Ever in each of the 4 major sports:

NFL

MLB

NBA

NHL

3. Who is the Greatest Player ever in each of the 4 major sports:

NFL

MLB

NBA

NHL

4. What is the Greatest Movie Ever: Narrow it down to one

5. What is the one movie that like everyone else has seen that you have never seen?

Follow up question: This list is from The Daily Mail. Which is a British publication by the way. Would you make any changes to it:

THE TEN MOST SIGNIFICANT FIGURES IN HUMAN HISTORY

1. Jesus
2. Napoleon Bonaparte
3. William Shakespeare
4. Muhammad
5. Abraham Lincoln
6. George Washington
7. Adolf Hitler
8. Aristotle
9. Alexander the Great
10. Thomas Jefferson

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2521212/Wikipedias-10-significant-people-EVER.html#ixzz4hXRJKw33
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Thomas Jefferson in the top 10, hmmmmmm. Plus is it Muhammad or Muhammad Ali? :lol:

Those top whatever questions can lead to interesting debates or differences of opinion. Hitler? A by product of an unhappy and slightly insane German who sat in the trenches during the rather failed conclusion to "The Great War" later renamed WWI.

My own answers

Winning the 1964 NFL Championship 27-0 over the Colts. Gary Collins 3 TD catches. Jim Brown running. Yes, I am old enough to have witnessed it (actually...listened on radio as back they they blacked out the game....then seeing it replayed on TV the following Monday Night...in black and white of course)

NFL....tough one...NOT the 1972 Dolphins despite being undefeated. I will say 1985 Bears. They were the most intimidating team I have ever seen.

MLB....1927 Yankees

NBA...another tough one. NOT the Bulls. IMO one of the Lakers team with Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Perkins, Cooper etc.

NHL... Edmonton Oilers of Gretzky, Messier etc.

NFL...Jim Brown

MLB...Babe Ruth

NBA...LeBron James...yep

NHL...Wayne Gretzky

Casablanca

5. What is the one movie that like everyone else has seen that you have never seen?

On The Waterfront.

(also never saw The Hangover)

Follow up question: This list is from The Daily Mail. Which is a British publication by the way. Would you make any changes to it:

THE TEN MOST SIGNIFICANT FIGURES IN HUMAN HISTORY

1. Jesus

2. Napoleon Bonaparte

3. William Shakespeare

4. Muhammad

5. Abraham Lincoln

6. George Washington

7. Adolf Hitler

8. Aristotle

9. Alexander the Great

10. Thomas Jefferson

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2521212/Wikipedias-10-significant-people-EVER.html#ixzz4hXRJKw33

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I see this as a question of which humans have had the greatest impact on human history....good or bad. I think the following could be said to have perhaps had more impact in human history than some of those named above:

Buddha

Ghengis Khan

Julius and Augustus Caesar

Christopher Columbus

Moses (assuming he was real...which he may not have been)

Casablanca

On The Waterfront.

I've always liked Casablanca, bores my wife. But pick one? GWTW? The Wizard of Oz?

Now on the Hangover series Hangover II is the best of the three, now a college classic.

Winning the 1964 NFL Championship 27-0 over the Colts. Gary Collins 3 TD catches. Jim Brown running. Yes, I am old enough to have witnessed it (actually...listened on radio as back they they blacked out the game....then seeing it replayed on TV the following Monday Night...in black and white of course)

NFL....tough one...NOT the 1972 Dolphins despite being undefeated. I will say 1985 Bears. They were the most intimidating team I have ever seen.

MLB....1927 Yankees

NBA...another tough one. NOT the Bulls. IMO one of the Lakers team with Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Perkins, Cooper etc.

NHL... Edmonton Oilers of Gretzky, Messier etc.

NFL...Jim Brown

MLB...Babe Ruth

NBA...LeBron James...yep

NHL...Wayne Gretzky

Casablanca

On The Waterfront.

1) Browns Double OT win against the Jets- I was in the stands. BTW, the worst was Red Right 88- I was also in the stands, the play happened right in front of me.

2) Not going to debate it- just a matter of opinion.

3) Regarding LeBron, not so fast my friend. Ask me again in three years. Close, no cigar YET. Should pass Jordan's playoff scoring mark this year. But he'll need two more seasons averaging 25 ppg to pass him in regular season points. He's already passed Michael in rebounds and assists. (don't forget Jordan took time off to try and play baseball) Now I do agree if LBJ can play at the level he's at for another 5 years or so- it's not going to be up for debate. Staying healthy for that time span, Kareem's points record will be in jeopardy. As to being the best all around basketball player- well LeBron already is the GOAT in that category.

4) Sorry if I just don't get movies like Casablanca (and I've watched it at least 6 times). Ditto Citizen Kane, Gone with the Wind is B-O-R-I-N-G. Give me a nice action adventure flick. Can't narrow it down to just one movie. From this list I'll pick Shawshank Redemption, Saving Private Ryan, and Lord of the Rings (probably watched LOTR more than any other, have the Blu-Rays). http://www.imdb.com/list/ls055592025/

5) Ha- from the IMD list I've never seen 64 of their top 100 movies- shows you how many I sit down to watch. Perusing that list jogged my memory on a few. Annie Hall was the only movie I though sucked so bad- I ever walked out on. Pulp Fiction blew dead worms too. Did like Tarantino's Kill Bill though- if you think I have a Quentin bias.

1. What is the Greatest momlopped vs.ent in Browns history that you have ever witnessed?
The '64 Chanpionship, of course... but I want to say that I "witnessed it" on the radio.

NFL - '85 Bears
MLB - '54 Indians... flopped vs. the Brooklyn Dodgers in the WS, but their record win percentage still stands.
NBA - tough choice between the Jordan Bulls and the Magic Lakers, but gotta go with the latter... pick any of their early-80's teams.
NHL - My Broad Street Bullies of course! The '74-75 edition lead the league in points and won the Cup for the 2nd consecutive year

NFL - JB - I's biased to be sure, but Jim was a man apart on the field...
MLB - tougher one... but I'll go with Barry Bonds... juicer or not he was a complete player that excelled at all facets of the game.
NBA - Jordan... easily brought the greatest, single-player impact of any player ever...
NHL - Gretsky... unparalleled instincts with stick skills to match

Raging Bull...

According to IMDb's Top 250list list it's #21, City of God.

According to Rotten's Top 100 it's #3, The Third Man.

1) Browns Double OT win against the Jets- I was in the stands. BTW, the worst was Red Right 88- I was also in the stands, the play happened right in front of me.

2) Not going to debate it- just a matter of opinion.

This is a survey Larry...it is all supposed to be a matter of opinion.

3) Regarding LeBron, not so fast my friend. Ask me again in three years. Close, no cigar YET. Should pass Jordan's playoff scoring mark this year. But he'll need two more seasons averaging 25 ppg to pass him in regular season points. He's already passed Michael in rebounds and assists. (don't forget Jordan took time off to try and play baseball) Now I do agree if LBJ can play at the level he's at for another 5 years or so- it's not going to be up for debate. Staying healthy for that time span, Kareem's points record will be in jeopardy. As to being the best all around basketball player- well LeBron already is the GOAT in that category.

You gave your opinion here..why not above?

4) Sorry if I just don't get movies like Casablanca (and I've watched it at least 6 times). Ditto Citizen Kane, Gone with the Wind is B-O-R-I-N-G. Give me a nice action adventure flick. Can't narrow it down to just one movie. From this list I'll pick Shawshank Redemption, Saving Private Ryan, and Lord of the Rings (probably watched LOTR more than any other, have the Blu-Rays). http://www.imdb.com/list/ls055592025/

5) Ha- from the IMD list I've never seen 64 of their top 100 movies- shows you how many I sit down to watch. Perusing that list jogged my memory on a few. Annie Hall was the only movie I though sucked so bad- I ever walked out on. Pulp Fiction blew dead worms too. Did like Tarantino's Kill Bill though- if you think I have a Quentin bias.

Now I see why you didn't want to give opinions above...because when you do they are so WRONG!!! :P:D

At least as far as Casablanca and Pulp Fiction are concerned...but I basically agree with you about GWTW.

MLB - '54 Indians... flopped vs. the Brooklyn Dodgers in the WS, but their record win percentage still stands.

It was actually the NY Giants....but, yes, that '54 Tribe team could have been considered the best of all time...if the results of that WS was reversed. I can't necessarily see a team that did not win the title being given the BOAT designation.

Think about the what...late 90s Seattle Mariners who won 116 games....and I am not sure they got out of the first round of the playoffs. Also think of last year's Warriors....and the 2007 Pats.

Interesting that the teams with the greatest winning pct in history in each of those 3 sports, and none of them won the Championship....a trend that went back to the '54 Tribe.

On The Waterfront.

Well here is the best scene you ever missed then.

https://youtu.be/uBiewQrpBBA?t=20s

Best movie- Ben Hur

Movies I never saw- most of the Star Wars ones after they had the stupid little Care Bears running around.

Films can be quite subjective but here are just the top 21 grossing films from the BEST year ever, 1939:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1939_in_film

Rank Title Studio Actors Gross

1. Gone with the Wind MGM/Selznick Vivien Leigh, Clark Gable, Olivia de Havilland, Leslie Howard, Hattie McDaniel and Butterfly McQueen $198,676,459 [5]

2. Jesse James 20th Century Fox Tyrone Power and Henry Fonda $9,460,000 [6]

3. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington Columbia James Stewart, Jean Arthur and Claude Rains $9,600,000 [6]

4. The Rains Came 20th Century Fox Myrna Loy, Tyrone Power and George Brent $9,400,000 [6]

5. Babes in Arms MGM Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney $9,240,000 [6]

6. Dodge City Warner Bros. Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland and Bruce Cabot $6,750,000 [6]

7. Goodbye, Mr. Chips MGM/Denham Robert Donat and Greer Garson $3,252,000

8. The Wizard of Oz MGM Judy Garland, Ray Bolger, Jack Haley, Bert Lahr, Billie Burke and Margaret Hamilton $38,757,196 [7]

9. The Hunchback of Notre Dame RKO Charles Laughton and Maureen O'Hara $3,155,000 [8]

10. Gunga Din RKO Cary Grant $2,807,000 [9]

11. Ninotchka MGM Greta Garbo and Melvyn Douglas $2,279,000 [10]

12. The Women MGM Norma Shearer, Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell and Joan Fontaine $2,270,000

13. Drums Along the Mohawk 20th Century Fox Claudette Colbert and Henry Fonda $2,000,000 [11]

14. Stanley and Livingstone 20th Century Fox Spencer Tracy $8,000,000 [6]

15. Union Pacific Paramount Barbara Stanwyck and Joel McCrea $5,550,000 [6]

16. Another Thin Man MGM William Powell and Myrna Loy $6,090,000 [6]

17. The Old Maid Warner Bros. Bette Davis and Miriam Hopkins $6,660,000 [6]

18. Hollywood Cavalcade 20th Century Fox Alice Faye and Don Ameche $4,000,000 [6]

19. Destry Rides Again Universal Marlene Dietrich and James Stewart $2,900,000[6]

20. Andy Hardy Gets Spring Fever MGM Mickey Rooney and Lewis Stone $6,240,000 [6]

21. Gulliver's Travels Paramount voices of Sam Parker and Pinto Colvig $3,270,000 [6]

Tough to narrow it down to just one, but I'll go with the rally from 10 down to the NY Jets, inside 3 minutes to go in the 1987 playoff game.

NFL 1985 Chicago Bears

MLB 1927 Yankees

NBA Cavs 2016

NHL Montreal Canadiens 1976-77 60-8-12

NFL Jim Brown

MLB Babe Ruth

NBA Larry Bird

NHL Wayne Gretzky

​One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest

Titanic

One Flew... is a serious contender to be sure.

It is the best adaptation of a great book of the ones I have read... although The Godfather gives it a run for its money.

Well here is the best scene you ever missed then.

Nailed it... knew where you were going before I clicked.

When Tim Couch hit Kevin Johnson with a Hail-Mary in the endzone to capture their first win!

NFL - Browns With Otto Graham

MLB - don't watch too much baseball

NBA - Suns with Charles Barkley and KJ

NHL - What is this NHL you speak of?

NFL - Otto Graham

MLB - Babe Ruth

NBA - Michael Jordan

NHL - This NHL thing again?

Braveheart

Fast and Furious from like 3 on and Star Wars after episode 1...

​One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest

Titanic

4. Really good but not in my top 10...even if the wife is a nurse, nurse Cratchet.

5. Geezzz I thought I was the only one who never saw Titanic. :huh:

BTW-for the history buffs out there, the movie Ben Hur was taken from a novel by Lew Wallace a Union Major General under the command of Grant at the battles of Ft. Donelson and Shiloh.

The first time they won in Three Rivers after 16 straight losses, breaking the Three Rivers jinx.

NFL The 70's Steelers. No one else comes close.

MLB The Yanks

NBA Magics Lakers

NHL Boston Bruins

NFL Jerry Rice

MLB Hank Aaron

NBA Michael Jordan

NHL Gretsky

4. What is the Greatest Movie Ever: Narrow it down to one.

Thought you should be asking what was the greatest SPORTS movie ever...there certainly are tons of them.

https://www.moviefone.com/2014/04/20/best-sports-movies/

That said its terribly hard to pick one.

For a comedy I loved the original "The Longest Yard"

For a serious "Field of Dreams"

1989 - Browns defeat the Oilers in Houston 24-20 on a 4-yard Kevin Mack TD run with 39 seconds to play. Mack carried the team on his back, pounding the rock, as the Browns drove 59 yards in just under 2 minutes. The win clinched the AFC Central Division title for the Browns, their fifth of the decade.

NFL - '72 Miami Dolphins

MLB - '27 New York Yankees

NBA - '95-'96 Chicago Bulls

NHL - '75-'76 Montreal Canadians

NFL - Jim Brown

MLB - Babe Ruth

NBA - Michael Jordan

NHL - Wayne Gretzky

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Gone With the Wind

BTW-for the history buffs out there, the movie Ben Hur was taken from a novel by Lew Wallace a Union Major General under the command of Grant at the battles of Ft. Donelson and Shiloh.

Also there's a a late-20's, silent version that's pretty remarkable for its day... including the chariot race. It pops up late at nite on TCM every few months and is worth a time shift.

Greatest sports movie ever, the original MAJOR LEAGUE naturally. Don't mess with Jobu or Cleveland.

Greatest sports movie ever, the original MAJOR LEAGUE naturally. Don't mess with Jobu or Cleveland.

Raging Bull can take this one as well, but if I set it aside for being so much more than "Sports movie", then I think Bull Durham gets my nod.

Browns-jets playoffs 86

NFL Packers

MLB Yankees

NBA Lakers

NHL don't give a fuck

NFL Jim Brown

MLB Mickey Mantle

NBA Michael Jordan

NHL Lemieux

The Godfather Trilogy

Gone with the wind.

NFL Packers
MLB Yankees
NBA Lakers

You sort of have to give a year for these. Maybe I didn't clarify this. I basically meant for one year, or one era...I didn't really mean over a 100 year periord.

Archived