THE BROWNS BOARD

2014: The Draft That Never Was

Opal312

I can only find two players on the Browns Roster from the 2014 draft. Joel Bitonio and Christian Kirksey!

This draft was loaded with talent and I wanted Khalil Mack at number 4 and Derek Carr or Jimmy Garapolo at 26. I would have also settled for Mike Evans at 4 since he was clearly the best choice at the time.

But instead we ended up with Gilbert and Manziel.

My point; We have an entirely new front office and the last two drafts were proof that we have finally changed directions as a franchise. The rebuild may start paying off if the players we drafted last year start performing at a higher level. Coleman, Ricardo Louis, Nassib, Payton, Boddy-Calhoun(undrafted) Shon Coleman, Devalve, Higgans, Kindred, Jordan Payton, Ogbah etc

We signed some key veteran players in Britt and Jamie Collins who should provide leadership on both sides of the ball.

I'm optimistic in a cautious sort of way provided Hue Jackson is not another stubborn dummkopf like Mike Pettine.

If Hue can take charge and make NFL caliber football players out of the youngest team in the NFL, if he can develop Deshone Kizer, show real progress and win some games- Then I will finally get over 2014, The draft that never was!

I can only find two players on the Browns Roster from the 2014 draft. Joel Bitonio and Christian Kirksey!

This draft was loaded with talent and I wanted Khalil Mack at number 4 and Derek Carr or Jimmy Garapolo at 26. I would have also settled for Mike Evans at 4 since he was clearly the best choice at the time.

But instead we ended up with Gilbert and Manziel.

My point; We have an entirely new front office and the last two drafts were proof that we have finally changed directions as a franchise. The rebuild may start paying off if the players we drafted last year start performing at a higher level. Coleman, Ricardo Louis, Nassib, Payton, Boddy-Calhoun(undrafted) Shon Coleman, Devalve, Higgans, Kindred, Jordan Payton, Ogbah etc

We signed some key veteran players in Britt and Jamie Collins who should provide leadership on both sides of the ball.

I'm optimistic in a cautious sort of way provided Hue Jackson is not another stubborn dummkopf like Mike Pettine.

If Hue can take charge and make NFL caliber football players out of the youngest team in the NFL, if he can develop Deshone Kizer, show real progress and win some games- Then I will finally get over 2014, The draft that never was!

Our drafts in general since 1999 are never were. The Joes- Thomas and Haden in the first round- and that's about it.

We also tapped Isaiah Crowell in 2014.....and while it wasnt a great draft, you have to remember we only had 6 picks.....

Which means we hit on 33% +, which is actually above league average...

The best change is that Jimmy stopped picking QB's for his FO....

So, while you list a bunch of guys who have done nothing(as if they're great or something)....Higgins, Payton, both Colemans & Nassib.....lets not ignore our primary core players like Shelton, Duke Johnson, Crow, Kirksey & Joel Bitonio who are some of the best we have.....

We also tapped Isaiah Crowell in 2014.....and while it wasnt a great draft, you have to remember we only had 6 picks.....

Which means we hit on 33% +, which is actually above league average...

The best change is that Jimmy stopped picking QB's for his FO....

So, while you list a bunch of guys who have done nothing(as if they're great or something)....Higgins, Payton, both Colemans & Nassib.....lets not ignore our primary core players like Shelton, Duke Johnson, Crow, Kirksey & Joel Bitonio who are some of the best we have.....

Wasn't Crowell a UDFA, and ergo not drafted? and check this out:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/05/2014_nfl_draft_grades_nobody_s.html

"Nobody did better than the Browns"!! Guffahhh!

Here is a quote from that article.

Best pick: Johnny Manziel – The Cleveland Browns finally have an answer at quarterback. Manziel is exactly the player the franchise needs, a guy who can create buzz off-the-field and make the Browns relevant while also fixing the problem at quarterback, which has led to years and years of futility.

Worst pick: Christian Kirksey – The Browns didn't have what I would consider a bad pick. But if I have to pick one I will go with Kirksey. Even though he is exactly the kind of linebacker the Browns needed – a fast guy with coverage ability - they passed on wide receiver Donte Moncrief in order to get him.

Wasn't Crowell a UDFA, and ergo not drafted? and check this out:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/05/2014_nfl_draft_grades_nobody_s.html

"Nobody did better than the Browns"!! Guffahhh!

Here is a quote from that article.

Best pick: Johnny Manziel The Cleveland Browns finally have an answer at quarterback. Manziel is exactly the player the franchise needs, a guy who can create buzz off-the-field and make the Browns relevant while also fixing the problem at quarterback, which has led to years and years of futility.

Worst pick: Christian Kirksey The Browns didn't have what I would consider a bad pick. But if I have to pick one I will go with Kirksey. Even though he is exactly the kind of linebacker the Browns needed a fast guy with coverage ability - they passed on wide receiver Donte Moncrief in order to get him.

Didn't count Crowell as a pick. Hit on bitonio and Kirksey 2 had 6 picks. 2/6 is 33 percent.

And opal you would have been the only person who would have taken Evans over Sammy Watkins. It's easy to say you would have been ok with him in hindsight but don't pretend he was projected to be the best of the wr class that year. He obviously ended up being the best but if we went wide receiver everyone here would have been pissed had we drafted Mike Evans at 4 with Watkins on the board.

Didn't count Crowell as a pick. Hit on bitonio and Kirksey 2 had 6 picks. 2/6 is 33 percent.

And opal you would have been the only person who would have taken Evans over Sammy Watkins. It's easy to say you would have been ok with him in hindsight but don't pretend he was projected to be the best of the wr class that year. He obviously ended up being the best but if we went wide receiver everyone here would have been pissed had we drafted Mike Evans at 4 with Watkins on the board.

Opal is not the only one who would have taken Evans. I knew exactly what he would be, a real red zone threat with all those basketball skills to just body up and extend those hands over anyone to snatch the ball at high point. Deceptive speed with those long strides too. I was disappointed we let him get away when we dropped to 8. I knew he'd be gone by then. Since we obviously were not looking at JM there, I was hoping either for Aaron Donald or Odell Beckham, Jr. When they said Gilbert from Ok. St. I thought they had lost their collective minds taking a CB from a weak conference where passing yardage is king.

Opal is not the only one who would have taken Evans. I knew exactly what he would be, a real red zone threat with all those basketball skills to just body up and extend those hands over anyone to snatch the ball at high point. Deceptive speed with those long strides too. I was disappointed we let him get away when we dropped to 8. I knew he'd be gone by then. Since we obviously were not looking at JM there, I was hoping either for Aaron Donald or Odell Beckham, Jr. When they said Gilbert from Ok. St. I thought they had lost their collective minds taking a CB from a weak conference where passing yardage is king.

You would have only taken him because he was an aggie. 99 percent of mocks had Watkins going before Evans. And most had Watkins going in that number 4 slot. What's with the we stuff? You weren't concerned with who the browns drafted with their first pick at 8. You weren't a fan until pick 22. You weren't even a member here until May. Maybe you joined right before the draft because we were linked to money manziel but lets go back and say jerruh Jones gets his way and they pick him before the browns get the chance to at 22 you are never a fan. I do commend you for sticking around.

You would have only taken him because he was an aggie. 99 percent of mocks had Watkins going before Evans. And most had Watkins going in that number 4 slot. What's with the we stuff? You weren't concerned with who the browns drafted with their first pick at 9. You weren't a fan until pick 22. You weren't even a member here until May. Maybe you joined right before the draft because we were linked to money manziel but lets go back and say jerruh Jones gets his way and they pick him before the browns get the chance to at 22 you are never a fan. I do,commend you for sticking around.

Caught. LOL! :D When you're 70 the mind gets a bit confused at times. Seems like I've been a fan forever. I did think Evans was the best WR out there though and was hoping he and JM would go to the same team. We do have a neat bumper sticker around here that seems to apply here which says, "Not a Native Texan-But I Got Here as Soon as I Could".

SO: "Not a Lifelong Browns Fan, But I Got Here as Soon as I Could". :lol: :lol:

PS-Now that you have shaken MY morning cobwebs loose, I thought the Browns top 3 choices when #8 came up were JM, Donald or Beckham,Jr. all positions of greater need over what I considered a questionable CB from OkSt. It was a surprise for sure.

And the Browns basically said that if they hadnt traded down, they probably would have drafted Watkins.....who we'd be bitching about anyway.....

He's looking like a bust, in comparison to the "once in a decade" talent he was touted to be.....

Archived