THE BROWNS BOARD

Expectations

The Gipper

Here are some meanderings about the expectations of various teams throughout the league:

1. The Denver Broncos think they have a legit shot at another Super Bowl run, with their defense. Their problem is that they have an apparent unsettle QB situation. There were rumors that they were looking to make a trade for a young veteran QB....like an AJ McCarron.

John Elway denied it calling it "fake news". Of course that means it was absolutely true (just like the other guy that keeps hollerin' that statement).

I also hear that Elway was clenching his jaw...in disappointment, over the performance of Paxton Lynch this training camp, because Lynch has performed so poorly. So, what's up with Ghoolie's boy?

2. The Houston Texans are in about the same boat as the Broncos. They have a stellar defense, and some good offensive talent around a questionable QB situation. They have Savage and they have Watson, who apparently performed fairly well last night in a preseason game. But....can Watson be similar to the other QB in the Lone Star state who performed so well as a rookie last year? I have my doubts.

3. The Patriots are expected to be the prohibitive favorites to win the Super Bowl again. But that is just it...they are favorites to repeat, but I predict they will certainly not. It is not that the key to their success, Tom Brady, will look his age. No, I think Brady will be fine. But they could be derailed certainly if he suffers injury, which he may be more prone to. No, teams just don't repeat anymore.

4. Since the thread is "expectations" I suspect that John P. Manziel will never get another sniff at an NFL job...UNLESS, the asshole does what he really should do....and go play in Canada.....play in a system that suits his style. Go show that he can be a good citizen (even if it is in another country) and that he can actually play football like a professional...and act like a professional a little. Otherwise, no one will even give him the courtesy of a phone call.

5. People expect...as usual..that the Ravens and Steelers can be the prime challenges to the Patriots. I do not. I expect them to be around .500. That may be enough for one of them to win the division...but not to be serious title contenders.

6. What coaches do you expect to be on the "Hot Seat" this year? The favorites seem to be Chuck Pagano in Indy. If they don't start decent he could be the first out the door....as he already survived the chance that he could get cannned once. It would help him if Luck were healthy. John Fox of the Bears may also be on the hot seat. They have a future franchise QB there in Trubisky...but I am not sure if the Bears FO thinks that Fox is the right guy to bring him along...especially with his former OC Gase now HC in Miami. Also, Todd Bowles of the Jets is sure to be on the hot seat because the Jets will suck swamp water. He probably should not be because there is absolutely no talent on that team, but since when has that mattered? GMs who provide HCs no talent like to blame HCs for their own failures.

7. Expectations for the Browns? Improvement, competitiveness. Stellar play in the trenches. Questionable WR/DB play. And QB? No expectations....how can there be?

I expect:

• everyone to be chasing the Pats again;have a great time in
  • the Steelers to dominate the AFCN;
  • Marvin Lewis' seat to get hot;
  • to have a great time in London... and France.

I expect:

• everyone to be chasing the Pats again;have a great time in
  • They may be chasing...but I think the Pats are eminently able of being caught.
  • the Steelers to dominate the AFCN;
  • Win the AFCN, maybe. Dominate? No. See Below
  • Marvin Lewis' seat to get hot; Agree
  • to have a great time in London... and France.
  • And whose underpants do you expect to see.

On Steeler "dominance"....it is bullshit as far as this decade is concerned. Only last year, 2016 can the Steelers be said to have dominated: and that is only because the Ravens and Bengals turned to shit....not because the Steelers were all that good.

2015...the Bengals dominated

2014 Steelers win division...at 11-5, but Bengals were 10-5-1 and Ravens 10-6...hardly dominance

2013 Bengals dominated the Division

2012 and 2011....in both years both the Steelers and Ravens each finished 12-4.

Steelers may win the division again this year....by default because the other 3 teams, like last year, just won't be very good. With Ben/Bell/Brown they could likely win. Without them, they were no better than the Browns.

Past performance is no guarantee of future returns... true for the markets... true for the NFL.

Steelers will end up at least 3 games clear of the AFCN field. The reason for the gap is immaterial.

Past performance is no guarantee of future returns... true for the markets... true for the NFL.

Steelers will end up at least 3 games clear of the AFCN field. The reason for the gap is immaterial.

I think it is material in this respect: I fully expect the Browns to be the most improved team in the division. And while the Steelers may end up being an above average team that takes the AFCN title by the margin you state....the Bengals and Ravens I anticipate to continue to have further dropoff...which means the Browns could/should perhaps overtake one or both of them in the division standings.

In other words...they...The Steelers... won't be that good, but their recent past competition will be even lousier.

And the Browns are closing the talent gap in a big way....on all three teams.

We'll know much more on September 10th. I am expecting a great Browns effort vs. Pittsburgh, mainly because of the opening day energy. Maybe, just maybe that's enough to inspire a Browns upset.

I just don't see the Steelers not winning the AFC North though. Their offense is explosive, the D is good enough.

Cincy and the Ratbirds, who knows. Probably close to .500 for both, not contenders.

We'll know much more on September 10th. I am expecting a great Browns effort vs. Pittsburgh, mainly because of the opening day energy. Maybe, just maybe that's enough to inspire a Browns upset.

I just don't see the Steelers not winning the AFC North though. Their offense is explosive, the D is good enough.

Cincy and the Ratbirds, who knows. Probably close to .500 for both, not contenders.

For the most part...agree. Though I am not sure that the Bengals get close to .500. They were 6-9-1 last year....and I don't think they have gotten better. Rats were 8-8...and I say they go below .500. Not sure how far. Maybe even 6-10.

I kind of expect that at some point in a game every time the Browns defense comes up with a turnover, people in the stands will be yelling, "Leave the defense in!!".

This actually happened one year at a game at A&M that the defense was that great, but every time they took the ball away the f'n offense would give it right back. Finally after about the 4th or 5th time, that's exact what I was hearing in the stands. We lost 17-0 that year to Cincinnati and when the season ended later national champ HC for Alabama Gene Stallings was fired.

For the most part...agree. Though I am not sure that the Bengals get close to .500. They were 6-9-1 last year....and I don't think they have gotten better. Rats were 8-8...and I say they go below .500. Not sure how far. Maybe even 6-10.

Steelers are the only team I see winning the AFC NORTH. They have too many weapons on offense; Bell, Brown, Brown and now Martavus Bryant is back. They also drafted a stud running back. Their defense should be healthy and should rank in the top ten.

As for the Bengals; they didn't get much better in the off season either so I see them at 8-8. The Ravens have an aging injured Flacco, Terrence West and not much else. their defense is still serviceable so I think they go 7-9.

I predict if Kizer starts--he has weapons if Coleman stays healthy and Britt continues his success from last year. We have a plethora of tight ends Devalve, Telfer and Njoku (he should start at some time this season) We finally have an offensive line for Isaiah Crowell, and a couple RB's who can fir right in.

Browns may surprise in Williams defense and Myles Garret was the right pick at number one. Haden is mentoring the younger guys but if our pass rush improves we won't need to panic.

And there's Jabrill Peppers

Browns may surprise by playing the division tough and maybe just maybe can manage second place in the AFC NORTH.

Steelers are the only team I see winning the AFC NORTH. They have too many weapons on offense; Bell, Brown, Brown and now Martavus Bryant is back. They also drafted a stud running back. Their defense should be healthy and should rank in the top ten.

As for the Bengals; they didn't get much better in the off season either so I see them at 8-8. The Ravens have an aging injured Flacco, Terrence West and not much else. their defense is still serviceable so I think they go 7-9.

I predict if Kizer starts--he has weapons if Coleman stays healthy and Britt continues his success from last year. We have a plethora of tight ends Devalve, Telfer and Njoku (he should start at some time this season) We finally have an offensive line for Isaiah Crowell, and a couple RB's who can fir right in.

Browns may surprise in Williams defense and Myles Garret was the right pick at number one. Haden is mentoring the younger guys but if our pass rush improves we won't need to panic.

And there's Jabrill Peppers

Browns may surprise by playing the division tough and maybe just maybe can manage second place in the AFC NORTH.

Bengals were 6-9-1 and got worse. Lost their 2 best OL to free agency. They picked up some skill players in the draft....but who knows if that will help if they have no OL to block for them. Flacco is not that old...but yes, his back injury can be an issue. If Ryan Mallett plays a lot for them...then its Katy bar the door on how bad they could be.

I think you overrate the Steelers defense....but they will probably be just good enough.

1 Not sold on the Broncos with no QB. You still have to score more points than the other guy to win the game. 3 and outs wear down the best of defenses. Furthermore, this should be the season that the Oakland Raiders return to the national stage. They are about stacked and Marshawn Lynch still has gas in the tank that will fuel the running game. Broncos vs the Chiefs for the wildcard.

Fair evaluation

2 Houston is the AFCS Broncos in a cowboy hat. They will not win that pitiful division. Bill Obrien will be fired too.

Also fair, though I wonder who if not they will win that division. And I doubt that O'Brien gets fired....but if things don't work out, he could go into next season on the hot seat.

3 The Patriots are better than last year in regards to talent. Rex Burkhead will have a huge season. There is no weakness on offense. Nick Saban and Urban Meyer give Belichick the heads up on diamonds in the rough from the area. Jamie Collins came from Saban. YSU Derek Rivers came from Meyer. Miami was a serious threat to challenge for the division, but not now. Count NE AFCE winners and in the playoffs where anything can happen.

They have Tom Brady. Without him, they would be just in with a group of contenders....and likely not close to being favored.

4 Johnny Manziel will resurface in the NFL for one last gasp. He can still draw a crowd and maybe win a game or two with his heroics. Long term solution? No, but if a QB were to go down, JF is good enough of the bull shit artist to weasel himself onto another team.

He won't resurface unless he does what I said: goes to Canada and plays well for at least 3 years.

5 Steelers win the AFCN unfortunately. They have the best QB in the division. Always go with the QB. The Ravens will make some noise too. John Harbawls job is on the line. A really shitty season and you will hear the grumblings of those wanting him out. A Ravens fan is like a Steelers fan, if the team doesnt win they want everyone fired staring with the O and D coordinators.

6 Coaches that need to have the Mayflower movers on speed dial for 2018 - Pagano, Obrien, Fox, Bowles. I cannot explain how it happens, but Marvin Lewis job is safe. He would have to hold up a Cinci chili restaurant at gunpoint to even be considered for termination.. 2 year probation coaches are Harbawl, Reid.and maybe Jackson. Hue Jackson will have had 3 years in which is very fair to judge a Head Coach. Word on the street is that Jim Harbawls next stop after Michigan is Kansas City Chiefs HC. Reid keeps making the same mistakes year after year. He could not manage an alarm clock and always has his head buried in his Dennys restaurant menu trying to decide on a playcall oblivious to the fact that the game is going down the shitter.

7 Browns? Beating Pittsburgh opening day would be like winning the Super Bowl. 5 - 8 wins would be a step in the right direction.Maybe Kizer is the guy.Big question for me is QB. i want to know heading into the 2018 draft if now is the time to move up and grab the next stud QB that will be the face of the franchise for years to come.Would like to see Garret and Peppers shine as well as some of the Free Agents like Britt and Mcourty.

Here are some meanderings about the expectations of various teams throughout the league:

1. The Denver Broncos think they have a legit shot at another Super Bowl run, with their defense. .........<\

The QB problem in Denver may be more Elway than Lynch. Lynch has only started 1 game, which he won. It is funny to see the stupidity and hypocrisy of this board. We can't judge One-Tackle-Texasby one game, but we sure can judge the people we don't like by 1 game.As with DeShone, a HC has to quit fucking around with ,,,who looks best in camp. Nobody ever got a fucking Lombardi for looking good in camp. If Elway was supported the way Lynch has been supported, he woudl have been done in the NFL after a year. His rookie season was not stellar.

HC have become pussies. They believe that abiding by training camp performance and by what the reporters write is the way to keeping their jobs.

I like Lynch. Whatever his potential, he, nor Kizer, nor any other prospect will realize it until they are given the reins, and allowed to completely fuck up over and over and over.

The best musical teacher I ever had was a true Maestro, a well-respected conductor in Austria.At 14 I was struggling with "The Flight Of The Bumble Bee", a real mother fucker of a piece to play. When I told him that my frustrations were about to cause me to abandon learning the piece, He asked to observed me practicing. Upon seeing me going over and over difficult sections I was struggling with, he told me, "quit worrying about your technique, play through the goddamned piece, play it." He continued, "I don't care if it sounds like shit, play through the goddamned piece, get it in your blood, get a feel for it, then go back and fine tune your technique"

I made more progress with the piece in the next 2 hours than I had in 4 weeks of protected performance.

HCs today are dumb fucking, politically correct cowards. Give the QB the team and let them sink or swim. What Hue did to Kessler alone should have gotten the dumb cocksucker fired.

PS - Defense is to going to win a SB. It surely didn't do jack shit for Denver last year.. .

3. The Patriots are expected to be the prohibitive favorites to win the Super Bowl again. But that is just it...they are favorites to repeat, but I predict they will certainly not. It is not that the key to their success, Tom Brady, will look his age. No, I think Brady will be fine. But they could be derailed certainly if he suffers injury, which he may be more prone to. No, teams just don't repeat anymore.

Not expected by the best and most accurate expert, me. As goes Brady, so too goes the Patriots. Isn't it funny that we had so many vehemnt HOF selection protests here that went along the lines "Just because he won a SB doesn't mean he deserves....", yet, with Brady showinf obvious signs of slowed reflexes, the same people here are blinded, believing that HIS SB win means he still has it?

The Pats are a good team, and most HC, are like Hue Jackson....cowards, unable to forge their own path but instead playing the politically correct, middle of the road. Under pressure, Brady showed his diminished skills. Most opposing coaches will not go after him but instead play soft zones to try and limit the bleeding. In these games, Brady will look fine.His SB performance, however required the perfect storm of lucky bounces, penalties and stupid opposing plays and decisions. However, when crunch time comes, the Pats will crumble. Brady is done.He has seen his last SB.

5. People expect...as usual..that the Ravens and Steelers can be the prime challenges to the Patriots. I do not. I expect them to be around .500. That may be enough for one of them to win the division...but not to be serious title contenders.

The most improved and exciting team in the AFCN will be the Bengals. They lost no talent and have added a tough, productive, dangerous RB and WR to the offense. Dalton right now is the best QB in the AFCN. With two new weapons, the Bengals O will be a lot more productive, leading the D to be more aggressive and opportunistic.

Ben Roethlisberger, like Tom Brady have no better days infront of them. Oh, how men think they are immortal, but but but, isn't it funny that none of the fans, none of the so-called experts ever believe a career will end................ and then BOOM................ while nobody expects it, as he always does, Father time pulls out his big cock and unceremoniously sticks it up the ass of our immortal heros.

Ben left practice with huge ice bags on his shoulder and knee.Those ice bags are handwriting on the wall.

6. What coaches do you expect to be on the "Hot Seat" this year?

Hue Jackson is a dead man walking. DeShone Kizer is his only life saver. He needs to play the kid. Trubisky is John Fox's life saver.

7. Expectations for the Browns? Improvement, competitiveness. Stellar play in the trenches. Questionable WR/DB play. And QB? No expectations....how can there be?

This is the hardest prediction for any to make. Youth can make up for a lot. Lack of veteran guidance is a problem, as is Hue Jackson's passive, undisciplined style. It all comes down to courage. If Hue cuts Kizer loose. lets him play his ass off and regroups the following week to review, the Browns will win 6 - 7 games. If however, they continue on the path of poor discipline, passive defense and QB circle jerking, they won't win 3 games.

They need to once and for all quit fucking around with the QB.

The best musical teacher I ever had was a true Maestro, a well-respected conductor in Austria.At 14 I was struggling with "The Flight Of The Bumble Bee", a real mother fucker of a piece to play. When I told him that my frustrations were about to cause me to abandon learning the piece, He asked to observed me practicing. Upon seeing me going over and over difficult sections I was struggling with, he told me, "quit worrying about your technique, play through the goddamned piece, play it." He continued, "I don't care if it sounds like shit, play through the goddamned piece, get it in your blood, get a feel for it, then go back and fine tune your technique"

As a lifelong musician.. I always took the attitude that you focus on your strengths.. not your weaknesses.. but still work on your weaknesses... I think your teacher did a great thing.. Thats exactly how you tackle a challenging part or composition.. get the feel.. Know where the pockets and dynamics are...

As a lifelong musician.. I always took the attitude that you focus on your strengths.. not your weaknesses.. but still work on your weaknesses... I think your teacher did a great thing.. Thats exactly how you tackle a challenging part or composition.. get the feel.. Know where the pockets and dynamics are...

And Hue? He chooses to fuckign waste precious life on AssOiler.

Archived