THE BROWNS BOARD

Terrell Davis: The Big Pussy

One Post

The guy was a very good back. Great? You can debate that one until your balls fall off. I am looking forward to football. I really couldn't care less aboud this HOF shit. Some players belong, some are iffy, some don't belong. C'mon guys, you know this shit is largely political and a lot of times a matter of "who you know" or a matter of does the story behind the guy enhance the NFL patting themselves on the back.

I will say this, and as much as it irritates the purist fan, A SB ring, SB MVP, SB accolades will, without fail propel a player far above better players who never got those accolades and trophies.

Music is the same way. Clapton, a great songwriter, performer and singer, is at best, a modest and very average guitar player. Yet, I guarantee you a bunch of people (mostly with no musical training) are going to jump in and say what a great guitarist he is. But he isn't. His shit is simple. Doesn't matter, he had a boost from the very beginning because of who he played with and when he played. Again, HOF performer, songwriter? No debate.

Guitar wizard? Fuck, man, he can't play. Steve Lukather? Now THAT is a bad, bad motherfucker. Can play better than Clapton using his nutsack.........but it doesn't matter. Some jackoffs believe the hype.

Terrell Davis? If he played the guitar he would be Clapton or BB King.

Django, Atkins, Tedesco, Knoppfler, Jerry Reed, Hellecasters, Vai, Satriani, Van Halen, Joe Pass, Pizzarelli, Travis....NOW you are talking guitar.

Talking guitar players, I saw Brian Setzer last night. Freakin dude brings it... Had no idea how good he is!?!?!?!?!?

Like your list... I'd add Hendrix.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell it to Clapton, he said it, not me.

Z

Clapton is pretty average himself... There were More interesting guys like Buzz Feiten, Johny Winter and Frank Marino who can play things that Clapton could only dream about...

Good question... certainly was building a resume his first 6 years. And he surprised when he stepped into his more recent AZ opportunity. If he gets another shot and cashes it...

What does it take in this modern, passing era for a RB to make the Hall? Who are the no-brainers of today not named AP?

None

What do you think about the Late Alvin Lee of "Ten Years After"??

He was a nice player. Very nice player.Under-heralded. He played some tasteful things.

Regarding Clapton. I never said he sucked, he just isn't that good. Overall, very talented. He couldn't make a living as a studio guitar player. That's the point. He would shit his pants as a studio player.

Talking guitar players, I saw Brian Setzer last night. Freakin dude brings it... Had no idea how good he is!?!?!?!?!?

Like your list... I'd add Hendrix.

Setzer is indeed good. Very versitile. Always liked the guy.

A guitar gem I took a flyer on years ago...

0001171727.jpg

http://www.allmusic.com/album/chester-amp-lester-mw0000608766

I grew up coping the Chester and Lester stuff. Two great players. Les was a bit too abstractly jazz oriented for my taste.

Good question... certainly was building a resume his first 6 years. And he surprised when he stepped into his more recent AZ opportunity. If he gets another shot and cashes it...

What does it take in this modern, passing era for a RB to make the Hall? Who are the no-brainers of today not named AP?

Id say there are not any "no brainers"...outside of AP.....and I think the passing era has a LOT to do with that. Simply not the opportunities there used to be for a back to carry a team and rack up huge #'s.....

Some potential HOFers playing now?.....Lynch, Elliot, Bell & Gore,

First football, then guitar. That SB crap is why all them thar Steelers are in the HOF. I freaking guarantee you if Clay Matthews had played in Shitsburgh- he'd have been in- long ago.

Bingo. Clay and Hanford Dixon should be in Canton.

Bingo. Clay and Hanford Dixon should be in Canton.

Clay, Dixon, maybe Minnifield and others in the steelrz slots but that's life to the rings go the spoils meanwhile the others wait.

Actually until his first knee injury he averaged 1900 yds per year and is the Broncos all-time leading rusher. Pro bowl 3 of those 4 seasons. Injuries kept him from being one of the best ever in what amounted to a 4 year career. Not bad for a 6th rounder.

Right.....dude took the league by storm....If Gayle Sayers gets in, then TD should get in too.....

So...is Chris Johnson HOF material? Same difference other than the ring but minus the o line.

Davis is 3rd....all-time.....in yards per game played......3rd.....

Jim Brown = 104 ypg

Barry Sanders = 99.8 ypg

Terrell Davis = 97.5 ypg.......

Thats the best of the best, while on the field......

Chris Johnson isnt 4th...or 10th....or 20th ftm......75 ypg......= not the same....

For a two or or three year period he was the Most Valuable running back I have ever seen.

Zombo

Agree 100%......6500 yds in his first 4 years.....with each year getting better.....thats a whole career for some good backs....

Someone here said he had "a" good year?.....really?....."a" good year?

yr 1) 1117

yr 2) 1538

yr 3) 1750

yr 4) 2008

looks like 4 good years to me....

Anyone that is only 1 step behind Barry Sanders and Jim Brown gets my HOF vote for sure.....

He was a nice player. Very nice player.Under-heralded. He played some tasteful things.

Regarding Clapton. I never said he sucked, he just isn't that good. Overall, very talented. He couldn't make a living as a studio guitar player. That's the point. He would shit his pants as a studio player.

fuck man as a session guy I would take john paul jones over him

There's guys on YouTube right now that nobody has ever heard of that make the guitar greats of yesteryear look like rank Amateurs. Just like there were guys in their own time that no one ever heard of that blew them out of the water. That's why I never bother with the "goat of guitar" discussions.

There's guys on YouTube right now that nobody has ever heard of that make the guitar greats of yesteryear look like rank Amateurs. Just like there were guys in their own time that no one ever heard of that blew them out of the water. That's why I never bother with the "goat of guitar" discussions.

If there is "the ONE".. I'd put Allan Holdsworth at the top of the list.. The way he uses the whole tone scale is on another level of genius on the highest order.

Setzer is indeed good. Very versitile. Always liked the guy.

Since I went to see him live again last night- What's your opinion of Lindsey Buckingham? MHO- under rated. (not in anyone's top 10, but very good) Fer sure, The Mac had some of the best songwriting talent short of the Beatles and maybe the Stones.

You got that right- forgot where I saw a guy do a speed demon demo on YouTube. And me and Ghoolie have been down the road discussing this youngster when she was 16. If you like, skip to the 2 minute mark and watch a perfect cover of Van Halen's Eruption.

As Tom pointed out- it doesn't matter if you can play anything, the guys raking in the big bucks are the great songwriters. John Fogarty is a so-so guitar player- but man, can he write songs. :)

Since I went to see him live again last night- What's your opinion of Lindsey Buckingham? MHO- under rated. (not in anyone's top 10, but very good) Fer sure, The Mac had some of the best songwriting talent short of the Beatles and maybe the Stones.

Another nice player. He was melodic and his junk always embellished songs. I wouldn't call him a technically masterfull player, but his sense of composition and arrangement was very very good. Elliot Easton was another very good musical guitarist.

You got that right- forgot where I saw a guy do a speed demon demo on YouTube. And me and Ghoolie have been down the road discussing this youngster when she was 16. If you like, skip to the 2 minute mark and watch a perfect cover of Van Halen's Eruption.

As Tom pointed out- it doesn't matter if you can play anything, the guys raking in the big bucks are the great songwriters. John Fogarty is a so-so guitar player- but man, can he write songs. :)

Once this chick gets hair on her snatch she is really gonna be something.

Fantastic for 3 years only played 4, not a HOFer

Yes, he is. He was inducted Saturday (I assuming you mean Terrelle Davis). You are either pregnant or you're not. He is pregnant.

(whether you believe it is warranted is another matter.....but in the opinion of those who count...it was warranted)

... I saw a guy do a speed demon demo on YouTube.

Year ago I stumbled into a Houston club by happenstance and caught The Amazing Royal Crowns, a punk-rockabilly band. Not my thing, but they had a guitarist who was the fastest I'd ever seen... and he was clean to boot. Dude was called "The Colonel". Per google his name is Johnny Maguire. Curious whether any of you aficionados have heard of him...

One I'm listening to now is Austin's most recent bluesman... Gary Clark, Jr.

Lets face it...TD was a good player but not a great player. Ya he played on some good teams and had an amazing season but he doesn't deserve the gold jacket.

After years of having other HOFers advocate for his induction he finally gets in. He does nothing but cut down players and teams so..pay backs a bitch.

Even with a good team around you, you don't get to 2000 yards in a season being a good but not great player.

Archived