THE BROWNS BOARD

The Days Of The New Era Running QB Are Over

miktoxic

i think when michael vick finally puts his cleats up the days of the running QB will be retired as well.

after watching and listening to the talking heads over a decade now saying that the nfl will one day turn into a new era where the qbs will have to be more than just a little mobile, can we put that to rest now? anyone see rg3 lately? how about colin kaepernik? people might mention russell wilson but i'll say to them he's not a running qb. what he is IMO is a very smart qb. ingenious how carroll uses him. but one qb in a league of at least 64?

i'm sorry but i see these guys getting hurt. that's pretty much what i see when wilson takes off. he missed getting clobbered a couple of times yesterday by seconds. one of these days it'll catch up to him.

the game is still won in the trenches (ask dallas). and is still won by guys that can stand up in the pocket and deliver the ball.

put that experiment to rest.

i think when michael vick finally puts his cleats up the days of the running QB will be retired as well.

after watching and listening to the talking heads over a decade now saying that the nfl will one day turn into a new era where the qbs will have to be more than just a little mobile, can we put that to rest now? anyone see rg3 lately? how about colin kaepernik? people might mention russell wilson but i'll say to them he's not a running qb. what he is IMO is a very smart qb. ingenious how carroll uses him. but one qb in a league of at least 64?

i'm sorry but i see these guys getting hurt. that's pretty much what i see when wilson takes off. he missed getting clobbered a couple of times yesterday by seconds. one of these days it'll catch up to him.

the game is still won in the trenches (ask dallas). and is still won by guys that can stand up in the pocket and deliver the ball.

Yup... Fads come and go...

I do think Wilson is the exception to the rule, however. I do not see his injury odds from running as any higher than a typical QB's are in the pocket. Russell is just that savvy...

We'll have to see the final test subject, prototype "Johnny #2" before we can close the case on running QBs Mik.

We'll have to see the final test subject, prototype "Johnny #2" before we can close the case on running QBs Mik.

But does he see the field while he is still a "running QB"? I think/ hope we are trying to transform him into Wilson, Jr.

As mik said, I think Wilson is not so much a "running QB", but a QB with the ability to run. Carroll pops designed runs (read options) often enough to maintain the illusion.

yep on both counts.

i'm kinda eager to see what kind of qbs are going to go where in next spring's draft. i know mariota is a guy that can run but i haven't seen enough of oregon to know whether or not he's a 'runner'. hell, he might not even declare. just trying to think of a qb on the national stage that uses his feet more than his arm.....

difference between elusive and running. Wilson is more elusive than he is running. Take the running away from Kaepernick and he's a completely avg QB at best. I hate the way he throws the ball too. He drops underneath it and throws a rising fastball every damn time I'm sick of watching it. Every time his receivers start their hands low cause that's where it looks like it's coming but then have to raise up real quick. Go fucking play baseball with that shit, I'd be furious if he was a Brown. He's gonna get one of his guys killed. Got away with that shit when people were worried about him scampering off for 20 yds a pop. Ain't happenin anymore.

Wilson is shifty, like Rothlisberger....that's what the new era QB has to be. Extend a play for 7-8 seconds and u will be a god.

Wilson is shifty, like Rothlisberger....that's what the new era QB has to be. Extend a play for 7-8 seconds and u will be a god.

Roethlisberger is "shifty"?

If JFF were to follow a model, he would do well to follow the example of Wilson. Run when necessary, but run smart, and run to pass, not to run.

Yup... Fads come and go...

I do think Wilson is the exception to the rule, however. I do not see his injury odds from running as any higher than a typical QB's are in the pocket. Russell is just that savvy...

I put Wilson in the "mobile QB" role, not the "running QB" role. I think that there is a difference.

it will by heightened to a new level that no one can match but many will try to immolate for decades to come once Johnny shows an ounce of the damage he can do. reck the fucking league one play at a time.

or whatever you wanna call it when defensive players can't seem to get their fucking hands on the slimy raping little cocksucking fgt.

roethlisberger is just big and people don't know how to wrap him up. you have to either knock his ass down physically or grab him by his legs and wrestle him down. he shrugs guys off like bugs.

or whatever you wanna call it when defensive players can't seem to get their fucking hands on the slimy raping little cocksucking fgt.

Big?

With the way the NFL seems so enamored by these running QB's, you'd think SOMEONE somewhere woulda come up with a throwing running back by now....

For some reason, I thought of Robert Newhouse when I read this.

You gotta figure if you're a QB that's a tough thing to do, to keep your eyes on blips on a radar while trying to avoid the bombs going off around you.

Anyone know anything about speed reading? Isn't the concept about widening your vision while still being able to focus your attention to the wider content, and recognizing word patterns and stuff?

Seems like that would be good training for a QB. Whenever he's eating, or brushing his teeth, or taking a shit, guys should fly in from nowhere and try to level him. Keep him on his toes, really develop that fight or flight instinct.

With the way the NFL seems so enamored by these running QB's, you'd think SOMEONE somewhere woulda come up with a throwing running back by now....

Tim Tebow tried that route, it didn't work out so well.

This is a great topic! I have to agree. Right now in Washington DC the heads are going to roll again. Think about how many draft picks they gave up and how the team's future will suffer for years to come. And Harbaugh looked like a genius at the time when he benched Alex Smith. I hope Smith goes to the playoffs every year.

If you watch Willie McGinnis, Brian Baldinger and Sean O'Hara on NFLTotal Access they called it two years ago before RG3 got hurt. All of them said it would only be a matter of time before defenses caught up to the zone read and the running quarterbacks would have a tough time staying healthy.

Give me an Andrew Luck or a Derek Carr over RG3 and Manziel all day long. Russell Wilson runs when necessary not by design. His O-line isn't as good is year but he's been great anyway. Throws very few picks and knows how to read defenses.

Holy crap that's brilliant!

JB was 4/12 w/ 3TD & 0INT...

Anyone know anything about speed reading? Isn't the concept about widening your vision while still being able to focus your attention to the wider content, and recognizing word patterns and stuff?

The course I took literally forced you to read faster. Mostly it was about breaking your brain's habit of internally verbalizing words...

es-pe-ci-al-ly

one

syl-la-ble

at

a

time

which

slow

you

way

down.

You are forced to "skim read" and trash your comprehension in favor of speed. Once up to speed, then they work to bring back your comprehension. You learn tricks like focusing on first and last sentences in a paragraph, and other spots. Slow down a little for those spots and fly through the in between.

Don't fully recall all my scores, but I started somewhere around 200 wpm speed and 90% comp. After several weeks I ended up around 1600 wpm and same comp.

I learned it as I used to have to read proposed regulations published in the Federal Register. Voluminous and tedious stuff to wade through, but made for speed reading.

I only occasionally use it now, but surprise myself how quickly it comes back when I do. Then shortly after cranking up my speed, I am reminded how exhausting it can be... takes a great deal of focus.

JB was 4/12 w/ 3TD & 0INT...

The course I took literally forced you to read faster. Mostly it was about breaking your brain's habit of internally verbalizing words...

es-pe-ci-al-ly

one

syl-la-ble

at

a

time

which

slow

you

way

down.

You are forced to "skim read" and trash your comprehension in favor of speed. Once up to speed, then they work to bring back your comprehension. You learn tricks like focusing on first and last sentences in a paragraph, and other spots. Slow down a little for those spots and fly through the in between.

Don't fully recall all my scores, but I started somewhere around 200 wpm speed and 90% comp. After several weeks I ended up around 1600 wpm and same comp.

I learned it as I used to have to read proposed regulations published in the Federal Register. Voluminous and tedious stuff to wade through, but made for speed reading.

Obamacare comes to mind. Remember Pelosi? You'll have to read it to see what's in it. I think they lacked the comprehension part. LOL

I only occasionally use it now, but surprise myself how quickly it comes back when I do. Then shortly after cranking up my speed, I am reminded how exhausting it can be... takes a great deal of focus.

Eddie LeBaron is probably the closest thing to a "running QB".. he ran up in to the pocket and jumped up behind the line when he threw the ball.. another interesting thing was Paul Brown drafted a Running Back out of Northwestern .. and made him into a QB.. His name was Otto Graham.

roethlisberger is just big and people don't know how to wrap him up. you have to either knock his ass down physically or grab him by his legs and wrestle him down. he shrugs guys off like bugs.

Baltimore showed how to deal with Roethlisberger in their first game. The first time he dropped back to pass someone

laid the hammer to him--they got a personal foul out of it but it was worth it. He wasn't the same for the rest of the game

and Baltimore got the win.

Eddie LeBaron is probably the closest thing to a "running QB".. he ran up in to the pocket and jumped up behind the line when he threw the ball.. another interesting thing was Paul Brown drafted a Running Back out of Northwestern .. and made him into a QB.. His name was Otto Graham.

Shut the front door! You kidding me? Otto was drafted as a running back? Seriously? How did l not know that?

Archived