THE BROWNS BOARD

What an offseason so far.......

Babernakle

The browns this off season have looked like a team that finally gets it. Filling holes with seasoned vets and not hoping for miricals in the draft. As they set right now I see them as top one or two in the division. A very good division by the way. I might be bias. But I feel with the right picks we have a mid run playoff team, starting with the first pick of Watkins. The front office and the coach look really good right now, Pettine was a good move it seems.

Time will tell, but I think the overall feeling is that we have guys who are moving the team in the right direction and just not guys who are talking about moving the team in the right direction.

What an off-season indeed - recap

Browns Fire Chud

"The Search"

Browns retain Ray Farmer

Browns fire Lombardi/Banner

Browns promote Ray Farmer to GM

Browns begin construction on stadium improvements

Browns don't interview QB's at combine

Browns transition tag Mack

Browns cut DQ52, Weeden, Campbell

Browns Sign Dansby, Whitner, and a few others

Bengals don't match for Hawkins - is a Brown

Browns Sign Ben Tate and others

Josh Gordon/Joe Haden all over NFL network/ ESPN

Browns don't attend pro days

Alex Mack extravaganza

Draft Day Premiers

Browns match Jacksonville offer for Mack

and oh yes...now there is this little thing called the NFL draft that takes place in less than a month... in which the Browns have 10 picks

damn.

It's nice to have something to talk about between the start of a new league year and the draft.

But, movement for movement's sake does nobody any good. These moves seem smart now and I believe they'll turn out to be solid FO moves, but let's not count on anything.

Whitner could suck. Mack could pack it in after getting a pay day. Dansby could be washed up. Hawkins could be what he is, a UDFA from the CFL. Burleson might not recover from his injury. Tate could have fooled everyone. This FB could get hurt.

Those are technically all possibilities.

It's nice to have something to talk about between the start of a new league year and the draft.

But, movement for movement's sake does nobody any good. These moves seem smart now and I believe they'll turn out to be solid FO moves, but let's not count on anything.

Whitner could suck. Mack could pack it in after getting a pay day. Dansby could be washed up. Hawkins could be what he is, a UDFA from the CFL. Burleson might not recover from his injury. Tate could have fooled everyone. This FB could get hurt.

Those are technically all possibilities.

Im not crazy about signing vets on theyre way out . But,I gotta believe Dansby and Whitner have something left. Mack is the best at his position and you had to transition and sign him. The team at least made it possible for themselves to deal with him when his 2 years expire. if he goes,he goes.And the browns still have Edwin Baker on the roster.

the probability exists that mack might lay down BUT i think JT will have a lot to say about that. you'd prob find mack bloodied up and hanging by his tits if he fucked with thomas's legacy.

i think whitner played solid in SF and dansby is replacing someone we over-valued because of sentiment. did i love me some DQ? hell yeah. but he was out for his money as well and the FO decided where they were going to draw the line.

i will agree that these are all lateral moves to fill in ones of guys who have left or upgrades to guys who might possibly get cut after training camp.

i like this front office and i can't point to anything negative they've done so far to change my mind.

Time will tell, but I think the overall feeling is that we have guys who are moving the team in the right direction and just not guys who are talking about moving the team in the right direction.

What an off-season indeed - recap

Browns Fire Chud

"The Search"

Browns retain Ray Farmer

Browns fire Lombardi/Banner

Browns promote Ray Farmer to GM

Browns begin construction on stadium improvements

Browns don't interview QB's at combine

Browns transition tag Mack

Browns cut DQ52, Weeden, Campbell

Browns Sign Dansby, Whitner, and a few others

Bengals don't match for Hawkins - is a Brown

Browns Sign Ben Tate and others

Josh Gordon/Joe Haden all over NFL network/ ESPN

Browns don't attend pro days

Alex Mack extravaganza

Draft Day Premiers

Browns match Jacksonville offer for Mack

and oh yes...now there is this little thing called the NFL draft that takes place in less than a month... in which the Browns have 10 picks

damn.

Well, here you go: give a grade to all the Browns off season moves that you outline here:

1. Firing Chud

2. Firing Banner and Lombardi

3. Hiring Pettine

4. Naming Farmer GM

5. Cutting Campbell

6. Cutting Weeden

7. Cutting DQJ

8. Signing Dansby

9. Signing Whitner

10. Signing Hawkins

11. Cutting Bess

12. Re-signing Billy Cundiff

13. Signing Isaia Trufant

14. Signing Jim Dray

15. Signing Ben Tate

16. Signing Paul McQuistan

17. Signing Nate Burleson

18. Matching the deal for Alex Mack

19. Signing Chris Pressley

the probability exists that mack might lay down BUT i think JT will have a lot to say about that. you'd prob find mack bloodied up and hanging by his tits if he fucked with thomas's legacy.

i think whitner played solid in SF and dansby is replacing someone we over-valued because of sentiment. did i love me some DQ? hell yeah. but he was out for his money as well and the FO decided where they were going to draw the line.

i will agree that these are all lateral moves to fill in ones of guys who have left or upgrades to guys who might possibly get cut after training camp.

i like this front office and i can't point to anything negative they've done so far to change my mind.

I agree that a lot of these are lateral moves....but lateral moves in hopes of having an upgrade over what was here. Also some are just bottom of the roster moves. So be it. Again, in an attempt to make an upgrade.

But....there is one major, major move not yet made: Quarterback.

Still no signing of say, a Rex Grossman, or other veteran backup.

Draft Day will be telling.

Could this be the start of the end of the Tavern drinking game?

Man I hope so. I know it's the best I've felt in the off season since the Langham and Alexander draft.

Still no signing of say, a Rex Grossman, or other veteran backup.

True, but that can be one of the last moves. You can always find that aging vet who wants one more payday.

They are really paying the guy to play as they hope he never does. He is being paid to mentor a younger player. Teaching him the ropes so to speak. There are limits as far as how much time coaches can spend with the players in the off season. There are no such limits between players.

Grossman makes a lot of sense. He knows the system and has always been a fairly heady QB. He just lacked some of the physical skillset. Over the summer the coaches have limited time to teach. Grossman could answer a lot of questions by Hoyer and whoever.

The browns this off season have looked like a team that finally gets it. Filling holes with seasoned vets and not hoping for miricals in the draft. As they set right now I see them as top one or two in the division. A very good division by the way. I might be bias. But I feel with the right picks we have a mid run playoff team, starting with the first pick of Watkins. The front office and the coach look really good right now, Pettine was a good move it seems.

I agree to an extent. But Farmer and Pettine have inherited a hell of a team.

I dont recall anybody wanting to come to Cleveland thinking "something special is forming" ....before this year.

True, but that can be one of the last moves. You can always find that aging vet who wants one more payday.

They are really paying the guy to play as they hope he never does. He is being paid to mentor a younger player. Teaching him the ropes so to speak. There are limits as far as how much time coaches can spend with the players in the off season. There are no such limits between players.

Grossman makes a lot of sense. He knows the system and has always been a fairly heady QB. He just lacked some of the physical skillset. Over the summer the coaches have limited time to teach. Grossman could answer a lot of questions by Hoyer and whoever.

Perhaps a post draft pickup then. No hurry?

Just looking at the roster now, this is a team that could get on the field TODAY and play well. We have younger guys coming up, and we have some vets in key positions now. Even without the draft, this team should be much improved. There are really only a couple spots we really need to upgrade: RG, CB2, ILB, WR2. Add in a vet QB and draft a rookie QB and this roster is set. Hopefully, "on paper" finally turns into "W"'s

Well, here you go: give a grade to all the Browns off season moves that you outline here:

1. Firing Chud B Felt rushed, but was probably the right thing to do.

2. Firing Banner and Lombardi A+ Don't care what the media says, these guys were dead weight

3. Hiring Pettine C Average grade b/c I haven't seen him coach yet. I like his attitude

4. Naming Farmer GM A+ Finally, Cleveland keeps its talent here instead of letting him walk. This should turn out well for us.

5. Cutting Campbell B+ Saves money, but he was a decent backup or 3rd string guy

6. Cutting Weeden A+ Weeden was a cancer. It's better not having him than having to watch him get on the field. He took away the whole team's confidence when he played. Goodbye!

7. Cutting DQJ B- Saves us money, plus he doesn't fit the scheme. DQJ has not been good at all in a 3-4 set and he could never live up to the $$ we'd be paying him.

8. Signing Dansby B Older and more expensive than DQJ, but plays well in the system. Hopefully, he got his money and continues to play hard.

9. Signing Whitner C+ Didn't like the contract, but hey it's not my money. He is a better SS than Ward, but older and more expensive.

10. Signing Hawkins B Expensive for a Slot WR. Let's hope he adds some playmaking ability

11. Cutting Bess A++ Worthless, on and off the field.

12. Re-signing Billy Cundiff C He's an alright kicker. We'll need a replacement soon.

13. Signing Isaia Trufant C- Hopefully, this isn't Pettine overhyping a guy he had on the Jets. Trufant has shown nothing, so I just hope he's a depth signing, not our CB2. And, hopefully this singning doesn't affect our need to add a CB2 in the draft.

14. Signing Jim Dray B- Do we really need another TE. Hopefully he's an upgrade over Barnidge.

15. Signing Ben Tate A+ We got the top offensive FA for once... actually, we got the top 2 (more to come)

16. Signing Paul McQuistan A- Versatile offensive lineman. Can battle for a starting spot at any position, or provided much-needed depth. Hopefully, he doesn't affect our need to draft a OG.

17. Signing Nate Burleson A Honestly, one of our biggest needs was a vet WR. We needed a 3rd down guy, and I think we finally got him here. He won't be flashy, but he'll move the chains and provide a great role model for Gordon/Benjamin/Hawkins etc...

18. Matching the deal for Alex Mack A++ The second best offensive FA, and we got him. I don't care about paying a Center, we needed him. Keep the Pro Bowlers... and keep them coming...

19. Signing Chris Pressley B+ Glad to see we're going to field a FB.

need to upgrade: RG, CB2, ILB, WR2. Add in a vet QB and draft a rookie QB and this roster is set. Hopefully, "on paper" finally turns into "W"'s

maybe another RB in the last 2 rounds.

who do we have behind tate besides another guy that is coming off injury?

but yeah if we hit all those marks i expect 4 more wins than last year which will put at .500 1st time since 2007. (man i can't believe we've only made .500 twice since '99).

2. Firing Banner and Lombardi A+ Don't care what the media says, these guys were dead weight

3. Hiring Pettine C Average grade b/c I haven't seen him coach yet. I like his attitude

4. Naming Farmer GM A+ Finally, Cleveland keeps its talent here instead of letting him walk. This should turn out well for us.

5. Cutting Campbell B+ Saves money, but he was a decent backup or 3rd string guy

6. Cutting Weeden A+ Weeden was a cancer. It's better not having him than having to watch him get on the field. He took away the whole team's confidence when he played. Goodbye!

7. Cutting DQJ B- Saves us money, plus he doesn't fit the scheme. DQJ has not been good at all in a 3-4 set and he could never live up to the $$ we'd be paying him.

8. Signing Dansby B Older and more expensive than DQJ, but plays well in the system. Hopefully, he got his money and continues to play hard.

9. Signing Whitner C+ Didn't like the contract, but hey it's not my money. He is a better SS than Ward, but older and more expensive.

10. Signing Hawkins B Expensive for a Slot WR. Let's hope he adds some playmaking ability

12. Re-signing Billy Cundiff C He's an alright kicker. We'll need a replacement soon.

13. Signing Isaia Trufant C- Hopefully, this isn't Pettine overhyping a guy he had on the Jets. Trufant has shown nothing, so I just hope he's a depth signing, not our CB2. And, hopefully this singning doesn't affect our need to add a CB2 in the draft.

14. Signing Jim Dray B- Do we really need another TE. Hopefully he's an upgrade over Barnidge.

15. Signing Ben Tate A+ We got the top offensive FA for once... actually, we got the top 2 (more to come)

16. Signing Paul McQuistan A- Versatile offensive lineman. Can battle for a starting spot at any position, or provided much-needed depth. Hopefully, he doesn't affect our need to draft a OG.

17. Signing Nate Burleson A Honestly, one of our biggest needs was a vet WR. We needed a 3rd down guy, and I think we finally got him here. He won't be flashy, but he'll move the chains and provide a great role model for Gordon/Benjamin/Hawkins etc...

18. Matching the deal for Alex Mack A++ The second best offensive FA, and we got him. I don't care about paying a Center, we needed him. Keep the Pro Bowlers... and keep them coming...

Good job Chief.

Don't agree with the assessment at all. I give it a solid A. Whit wants to be in Cleveland, hits like a donkey kicks and has several years left in the tank. He will be a leader on D and his attitude will be infectious. This, along with Tate are my two favorite signings.

1. Firing Chud

2. Firing Banner and Lombardi

3. Hiring Pettine

4. Naming Farmer GM

5. Cutting Campbell

6. Cutting Weeden

7. Cutting DQJ

8. Signing Dansby

9. Signing Whitner

10. Signing Hawkins

11. Cutting Bess

12. Re-signing Billy Cundiff

13. Signing Isaia Trufant

14. Signing Jim Dray

15. Signing Ben Tate

16. Signing Paul McQuistan

17. Signing Nate Burleson

18. Matching the deal for Alex Mack

19. Signing Chris Pressley

We should do pre and post season grades.

I'll put my opinions in brown (IF I differ) as I mostly agree with Gippers' opinions.

2. Firing Banner and Lombardi A+ Don't care what the media says, these guys were dead weight ( A++)

3. Hiring Pettine C Average grade b/c I haven't seen him coach yet. I like his attitude ( B)

9. Signing Whitner C+ Didn't like the contract, but hey it's not my money. He is a better SS than Ward, but older and more expensive. (A) LOVE this signing!

12. Re-signing Billy Cundiff C He's an alright kicker. We'll need a replacement soon. (C+)

15. Signing Ben Tate A+ We got the top offensive FA for once... actually, we got the top 2 (more to come) (B++) A+ other than injury & ball security questions

16. Signing Paul McQuistan A- Versatile offensive lineman. Can battle for a starting spot at any position, or provided much-needed depth. Hopefully, he doesn't affect our need to draft a OG. (B-) NOT a proven productive starter

Mike

1. Firing Chud- A - if you are not convinced he can lead the team - cut bait vs wasting another year (shurmer)

2. Firing Banner and Lombardi- A --

3. Hiring Pettine - B - I like what I see so far - but its April

4. Naming Farmer GM- B - I like what I see so far but its April

5. Cutting Campbell- A - get rid of the dead weight

6. Cutting Weeden- A- dude got tackled by a flag

7. Cutting DQJ- A- beloved but over rated ILB who was owed a big signing bonus

8. Signing Dansby- A - playmaker, dawg

9. Signing Whitner- A- playmaker, dawg

10. Signing Hawkins- B - overpaid for him but a solid slot WR

11. Cutting Bess- A - no brainer - void the money owed

12. Re-signing Billy Cundiff- A - he was consistent and is just a kicker (sorry phil, you are just a kicker too)

13. Signing Isaia Trufant- A- special teams standout on the cheap

14. Signing Jim Dray- A- Special teams standout on the cheap

15. Signing Ben Tate- B - if he stays healthy, awesome

16. Signing Paul McQuistan- A- Solid depth or starting G

17. Signing Nate Burleson- A_ Solid vet

18. Matching the deal for Alex Mack- A- in two years C will be the new LT

19. Signing Chris Pressley- B- lets see how he comes back from injury first, but I love the idea of bringing in a FB who likes to hit people.

I'll put my opinions in brown (IF I differ) as I mostly agree with Gippers' opinions.

2. Firing Banner and Lombardi A+ Don't care what the media says, these guys were dead weight ( A++)

3. Hiring Pettine C Average grade b/c I haven't seen him coach yet. I like his attitude ( B)

9. Signing Whitner C+ Didn't like the contract, but hey it's not my money. He is a better SS than Ward, but older and more expensive. (A) LOVE this signing!

12. Re-signing Billy Cundiff C He's an alright kicker. We'll need a replacement soon. (C+)

15. Signing Ben Tate A+ We got the top offensive FA for once... actually, we got the top 2 (more to come) (B++) A+ other than injury & ball security questions

16. Signing Paul McQuistan A- Versatile offensive lineman. Can battle for a starting spot at any position, or provided much-needed depth. Hopefully, he doesn't affect our need to draft a OG. (B-) NOT a proven productive starter

Mike

Those weren't Gipper's grades... they were mine. I wonder what the Gip would say... grade-wise

Those weren't Gipper's grades... they were mine. I wonder what the Gip would say... grade-wise

I am pretty much in line with how you have it.

The major differences would be that the Grades for both Farmer and Pettine would obviously have to be: Incomplete

I would give Whitner a solid B. Tate a B...as still there is a lot of wait and see there.

Archived