THE BROWNS BOARD

Buyer Beware: Browns Track Record at drafting QBs

The Gipper

Hi Gipper, I meant that it was roughly 20 years between Bradshaw's retirement and the drafting of BR, during which the Steelers had immortals like Cliff Stoudt, Kordell Stewart, Mark Malone....any team is going to have more that don't make it than do. I think drafting any of the QBs as a high first rounder this year is going to be a mistake.

OK, right. (but the Steelers had Neil O'Donnell in between...who was pretty good. Good enough to get to a SB).

As for whether drafting any of the guys this year very high would be a mistake? To me it is a pure crap shoot.

You can draft a guy high and get a John Elway or Peyton Manning....or a Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russell.

I suspect that the teams that chose Russell and Leaf thought they were making a pretty good move at the time.

OK, right. (but the Steelers had Neil O'Donnell in between...who was pretty good. Good enough to get to a SB).

As for whether drafting any of the guys this year very high would be a mistake? To me it is a pure crap shoot.

You can draft a guy high and get a John Elway or Peyton Manning....or a Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russell.

I suspect that the teams that chose Russell and Leaf thought they were making a pretty good move at the time.

Well, you draft for talent and try to develop skill. The weakness of both Leaf and Russell was inside their heads, which is hard to scout. They certainly had talent. Both would probably grade out better than Tom Brady on sheer ability coming out of college. Throw Todd Marinovich in that category as well.

I forgot about O'Donnell, I liked him. Not spectacular but in ratio of touchdowns to picks very very good, way better than Bradshaw in that respect. You indeed could win with a QB like that. I just don't see the QBs this year as translating to great NFL talents. I have been wrong before, though.

Archived