THE BROWNS BOARD

Mack stays with Browns

darren15

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too much for a center. I know he is good, but he's not the best in the league and he should not be payed like it.

ANYONE can be replaced, & if Mack thinks he'll hold Farmer/Pettine hostage, he may just find out. We'll see, but whatever they see fit is fine with me.

Mike

no center @4 but it might make the need for one of the top 2 OL @4 a must.

i mean how are we going to run the ball from the center to right tackle?

i hate this game mack is playing and i hate the fact that he doesn't want to be here BUT it takes years for an OL to gel and really the only holes we've had are on the right side. keeping mack would mean we'd only have to tweak a couple of moves there (maybe taking a tackle moving schwartz inside?). losing mack means we have to look at other options that might cost us more in the long run and basically throw the running game out the window for the year.

but deep down inside i want to say FUCK YOU MACK and be done with the prick.

Imagine his effort after getting his huge payday, coupled with playing somewhere that he doesn't want to be............

we should not match the offer sheet. If we match it won't be good for the locker room and it has been stated he doesn't want be a brown since last year. Let the bitch walk

I mean I don't know what the numbers are but lets say they are talking about a 5 year 50 mil deal with 30 mil in the first year (sounds crazy, but I have no idea how front heavy they would have to make it) That means the next 4 years he's getting 20 mil or 4 mil a year on average. I'd bite that bullet. We are basically done in FA anyways and that would open up a lot of cap room for the future to resign Gordon, Cameron etc.

does that sounds crazy?

edit - unless he really has told Pettine/Farmer I do not want to be there ... then deuces. If it is just about getting the most money then that's different.

Too much for a center. I know he is good, but he's not the best in the league and he should not be payed like it.

He is def top 5 at his position. Jags have less money then the Browns, so I find it hard for them to make a deal too rich for the Browns that doesn't really handcuff the Jags were the Browns not to match.

He is def top 5 at his position. Jags have less money then the Browns, so I find it hard for them to make a deal too rich for the Browns that doesn't really handcuff the Jags were the Browns not to match.

Hopefully the Jags make an offer to get us off the hook. 10+ Million for a center?? No way.

Honestly, does this dude just not want to be a Brown? The Jaguars? Wtf.

Team has made a lot of improvements this offseason, and are taking good steps to being a winning team and the dude would rather get more money from the Jaguars. Let him go.

I could be dead wrong, but I stated to Cal even before free agency that I don't think Mack ever wanted to be in Cleveland. This search for a "contract that the Browns won't match" pretty much confirms it & I say again that he can be replaced.

We may miss his talent for awhile, but "indifference" is never missed.

Mike

It seems the Browns have done due diligence in showing Mack he's their first choice under certain circumstances. The FO, from the owner to the OC visited Mack with a 'come on man'. Kyle undoubtedly gave Mack some insight into the scheme Mack would be expected to play in...Mack hedged and the Browns gave him a way to keep his high salary with the Transition tag and at the same time did all they could to avoid having a Center with a bad 'tude if Mack ends up being the Browns' center for another season.

In other words, Mack said no and the Browns did all they could to avoid having a pissed off center playing in games.

The Browns fall back position still gets a not bad. Players can be acquired even after the final roster cut time. I'm convinced Farmer, Pettine and Shanahan have a back up plan. The Center is the lynch pin of the OL.

I'm fine with him walking for a couple of reasons. First, he does not seem to want to be here. Second, he isn't all that great of a run blocker. He's does well against the pass but needs to do more to open holes on running plays. If he stays, I'm fine with it. If he goes then I'm ok with that too.

Fun fact, the Browns are in love with front heavy deals. That want deals where they can pay now while they have a ton of cap space, and then have those deals shrink in the following years to open it back up without have to try and restructure contracts. Most deals are even or back heavy (back heavy in order to sign a player while the team doesn't have cap room) and those are the deals that end up with teams trying to either restructure, trade, or cut players just to make more cap room 3 years down the road. We still have what? 30+ million in cap space? Thats room for Mack, a new contract for Hadan, and all the rookies we are going to sign. Considering that after the first year front heavy contract the player starts to make less money (in most cases) and considering that we definitely signed Dansby to a front heavy deal, our cap space would start to open back up next season.

The only way the Browns don't match is if it is like a 3 year deal that is averaging at $10 million a year. But if thats the deal then the Jags are stupid as hell and they can have Mack. If it is like they are saying, a front loaded 25-30 million deal for roughly 4-5 years, then the Browns, who have more cap space than the Jags I believe, will more than likely match.

This is a lot of money for a Center. What would be the drop off from Mack at center to Greco, who is already signed to a modest contract?

The best part about resigning Mack is securing the position for years and not having to use one of our top picks on an interior lineman.

I think Mack's agent is using the Jags as a stooge to drive the price up ... But we are going to match whatever they come up ... Otherwise we would have put the Franchise tag on him and at least gotten compensation if someone signed him to a ridiculous contract.

Z

no center @4 but it might make the need for one of the top 2 OL @4 a must.

i mean how are we going to run the ball from the center to right tackle?

i hate this game mack is playing and i hate the fact that he doesn't want to be here BUT it takes years for an OL to gel and really the only holes we've had are on the right side. keeping mack would mean we'd only have to tweak a couple of moves there (maybe taking a tackle moving schwartz inside?). losing mack means we have to look at other options that might cost us more in the long run and basically throw the running game out the window for the year.

but deep down inside i want to say FUCK YOU MACK and be done with the prick.

Wow... This is everything I wanted to say in one post.

Archived