THE BROWNS BOARD

Nick Hayden signed

Zombo

Browns signed veteran DT who started for Dallas last three years at DT.

Maybe they see him as depth on DL including playing some DE in the 3-4, since we are thin there.

Zombo

Maybe they see him as depth on DL including playing some DE in the 3-4, since we are thin there.

Coming out of Wisconsin measured decent at Combine/Pro-day... 34 reps... 1.80 10-yd split... 7.25 3-cone. As a reference point his 3-cone bettered Kruger's who was 30 pounds lighter. More apt would be comparison to Des who had more burst, but otherwise measures very similarly.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=33856&draftyear=2008&genpos=DT

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=86605&draftyear=2009&genpos=DE

Drafted by CAR where he played 3 years and then had a cup of coffee in CIN (but not a year Hue was there) before his three in DAL. But seems to have been exclusively in 4-3 schemes.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HaydNi99.htm

Zombo

Adding a couple chins where we're thin should help. I like this move.

Me thinks Meder is cut-able now.

While I like the signing - I looked at the offseason depth chart of the Cowboys that goes 2 deep at all positions and Hayden didn't make their top 8 upfront on a team that only won 4 games.

For being a small school guy from Ashland, I thought Meder was a pleasant surprise last year. He looked like he got upfield to hurry/sack the QB better than the guys getting more reps inside. He kind of reminded me of the change of pace Dave Puzzuoli was to Golic back in 86 and 87 in particular. Puzzuoli had 6 sacks in 86 and 5.5 in 87 in part time duty while Golic was more the eat up blockers pedigree to keep offensive linemen off the inside backers.

Zombo

With Des B. out, we have at DE: X Man, Nassib, The Sausage King, Armonty...who may also be out the door. Dylan Wynn.

And if Mingo/Ogbah/Kruger can play some DE, they would be there too....though they are all listed as OLBs.

So, yea....we needed this pick up.

So....does anyone know what the status on Armonty Bryant is? He is suspended for 4 games for the PEDs....but he still faces issues over his Christmas Day traffic stop...including felony drug possession.

Signing understood.....but not exciting......(at all).....

Another warm body with little to no chance of being a game changer.......add him to the very very long list of average to below average defenders on this team....

Armonty deals with his court case.......now it remains to be seen what the NFL will do with him.....if anything AFTER his 4 game PED suspension:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/07/armonty_bryant_could_face_furt.html

I don't think we should count on him at all this year. He could get more suspension. Maybe he misses 8 games.....but that would make him fairly useless.....UNLESS, he gets the same deal as Gordon where he is allowed to be around the team and to practice while under suspension.

Throwing him to the wolves and not letting him have the support of his coaches/teammates etc. would be just as useless as doing that for Gordon. Gordon set that precedent. Will the Commish follow through with the same kind of treatment for Armonty and others.

(I mean....after all.....being suspended means not getting to play in the games.....and not getting your check. Why should it also mean not having access to team facilities and to practice.)

Does anyone think the owners may have put some pressure on Goodell over this suspension issue? I can see owners saying "hey, OK, suspend the guy.....don't let him play for the games he is suspended for....and take away his paycheck.....but we have an investment in these players. When they come back off suspension, since we have to pay them then we want them productive and useful. Shoving them off to the side....giving them no support, not letting them practice means that they come back rusty, and in some cases they have to start their training all over again. Let US the owners get our money out of these guys. Let them stay with the team and practice so they can be ready to hit the field running when they come back.

If I were an owner, that is what I would say.

Armonty deals with his court case.......now it remains to be seen what the NFL will do with him.....if anything AFTER his 4 game PED suspension:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/07/armonty_bryant_could_face_furt.html

I don't think we should count on him at all this year. He could get more suspension. Maybe he misses 8 games.....but that would make him fairly useless.....UNLESS, he gets the same deal as Gordon where he is allowed to be around the team and to practice while under suspension.

Throwing him to the wolves and not letting him have the support of his coaches/teammates etc. would be just as useless as doing that for Gordon. Gordon set that precedent. Will the Commish follow through with the same kind of treatment for Armonty and others.

(I mean....after all.....being suspended means not getting to play in the games.....and not getting your check. Why should it also mean not having access to team facilities and to practice.)

Does anyone think the owners may have put some pressure on Goodell over this suspension issue? I can see owners saying "hey, OK, suspend the guy.....don't let him play for the games he is suspended for....and take away his paycheck.....but we have an investment in these players. When they come back off suspension, since we have to pay them then we want them productive and useful. Shoving them off to the side....giving them no support, not letting them practice means that they come back rusty, and in some cases they have to start their training all over again. Let US the owners get our money out of these guys. Let them stay with the team and practice so they can be ready to hit the field running when they come back.

If I were an owner, that is what I would say.

I'm not sure if the player's union would back guys practicing and working out on site without a paycheck unless it's is as unique as Josh Gordon never being able to make it through a calendar year without failing a drug test in 2013, 2014, 2015 and again in 2016 (after he failed 2 drug tests in college).

If they're going to cater to guys caught cheating with PEDs - what kind of message does it send to the percentage of players that don't use them? There's already countless cheaters that survive the "random selection" process as it is stealing jobs or starting assignments over guys that would rather work hard without cutting corners/risking health. The second they stop rewarding the PED pedigree - the second their drug test actually means something. I suppose it's a little better telling everybody if you need to cheat - we're not testing for HGH so giddy up and get after it. Ironically, the year it was announced they were going to begin testing for HGH - Pittsburgh had more guys deciding to retire than the entire Walton family tree. Good Night John Boy, Good Night Worildsies, Good Night Pollyneedsahaircut, Good Night Ike, and Good Night Grandpa LeBeau - hope you like Tennessee...

Archived