THE BROWNS BOARD

No Risk It...No Biscuit

One Post

Ok Browns fans I have a question for ya's. But first let me explain the "no risk it no biscuit".

It's going to take some risky moves getting out of the cellar. Either you stand pat and let every other team in the division climb while we stay at the bottom or let some risks pay off and start winning some damn ball games.

What is the biggest risk you've seen so far?

Risky move. We decided on volume of picks to possibly get us out of our own ditch & did not stand pat considering losses of our FA's too. biggest risk? Passing on likes of Wentz, Zeke or Bosa & thru the top ten. As we sit on RG3 & C.Coleman. It's about time we draft a class that can make the roster spots better. Than Coach them up over the haters to run thru walls for it. A No Name Team every year will open on a 5 game roll. Camp only days away.lets just see..

Risky move. We decided on volume of picks to possibly get us out of our own ditch & did not stand pat considering losses of our FA's too. biggest risk? Passing on likes of Wentz, Zeke or Bosa & thru the top ten. As we sit on RG3 & C.Coleman. It's about time we draft a class that can make the roster spots better. Than Coach them up over the haters to run thru walls for it. A No Name Team every year will open on a 5 game roll. Camp only days away.lets just see..

I think considering the draft it's a catch 22. You always take a risk in the draft at any position so I agree with you. Passing on a qb is a risky move which makes the RG3 a safe one?

I thing the riskiness is in the approach of analogy "money ball" vs. a traditional way of thinking. Now if it can work In baseball where as its more of a single stat what makes it work in a team sport like pro football?

The biggest risks in general come with the QB position. As previously mentioned, we passed on Wentz, and that's a pretty big gamble considering a team doesn't generally get to pick at #2 very often. Combine that with the fact that we have a near mythical inability to have consistent QB play, and the gamble is that much greater. Additionally, we sign an injury-plagued QB that fell rather quickly from grace and had a history of being somewhat malcontent, and you have all of the ingredients for a real shit show. Oh, and we also spent a third round pick on a QB from USC that basically nobody had on their radar at that stage of the draft. Yikes.

That's not exactly "one example" of the team's biggest risk, but in general, our riskiest business involves our unique way of handling a position that has tortured us for the better part of 20 years.

Ok Browns fans I have a question for ya's. But first let me explain the "no risk it no biscuit".

It's going to take some risky moves getting out of the cellar. Either you stand pat and let every other team in the division climb while we stay at the bottom or let some risks pay off and start winning some damn ball games.

What is the biggest risk you've seen so far?

It doesn't take risky moves.....it takes smart moves. It takes hiring the right coach.....drafting the right players. The Browns have taken their risks with the likes of drafting JFF/TR, moving down to get Gilbert etc. Now we to hope that HJ is that quality HC we have been looking for for 30 years, and that last year's group and this year's group of draftees turn out to be the quality that many other draftees were not.

As far as a single risk.....they obviously did that bringing in Griffin. What bigger risk beyond that could they have made? Let's hope that was risky and smart.

We don't think that signing RG3, and essentially handing him the offense was a risk? Or not really addressing the DB position after a horrible season and an offseason where we lost/cut our two starting safeties only a year removed from their probowl appearance? How about going with a receiving corps that has a combined career 9 TDs and whose #1 receiver's next NFL catch will be his first? Maybe we consider it risky to rely on a center that has only played a few years of OL, one year of center, and none in the NFL?

I think there are plenty of risks going on in cleveland.

We don't think that signing RG3, and essentially handing him the offense was a risk? Or not really addressing the DB position after a horrible season and an offseason where we lost/cut our two starting safeties only a year removed from their probowl appearance? How about going with a receiving corps that has a combined career 9 TDs and whose #1 receiver's next NFL catch will be his first? Maybe we consider it risky to rely on a center that has only played a few years of OL, one year of center, and none in the NFL?

I think there are plenty of risks going on in cleveland.

Good point Chris.

IMO... passing on the QBs we had a shot at this draft was more "no-brainer" than risk.

Biggest risk I have seen this FO take is letting Schwartz walk. Adding this disruption to Mack's departure (which I believe was unavoidable) was unnecessary.

It doesn't take risky moves.....it takes smart moves. It takes hiring the right coach.....drafting the right players. The Browns have taken their risks with the likes of drafting JFF/TR, moving down to get Gilbert etc. Now we to hope that HJ is that quality HC we have been looking for for 30 years, and that last year's group and this year's group of draftees turn out to be the quality that many other draftees were not.

As far as a single risk.....they obviously did that bringing in Griffin. What bigger risk beyond that could they have made? Let's hope that was risky and smart.

Gipper goddamn it. It's a smart move if a risky move works in your favor.

Some risky moves.

1 letting Dansby go.

2 drafting Kessler. I don't care it's in the third rd but he was under everyone's radar for real.

3 bringing back Ray Horton.

4 firing Farmer

With Ray Horton at DC it's definitely ballsy with his track record at Cleveland. Since following the Browns since last Oct I've learned Browns fans have a great memory and Hortons first term should be forgettable to most. So I guess Hue knows something we don't. I'm very familiar with Horton. He was pissed he didn't gt the HC job in Az and interviewed elsewhere to no avail. He was welcome to come back but Arians didn't want him because it might have caused a divide in the locker room. I don't blame him for this. When you're in charge you dictate your options instead of answering questions from the one that wants your job.

With Farmer gone everyone was happy but it's wait and see again. It's a turnstile front office and continuity isn't in place while the rest of the division seems concrete and stabile even in down seasons.

IMO... passing on the QBs we had a shot at this draft was more "no-brainer" than risk.

Biggest risk I have seen this FO take is letting Schwartz walk. Adding this disruption to Mack's departure (which I believe was unavoidable) was unnecessary.

Yep I agree. The Browns have the $ to keep anyone they wanted. But it's a new regime so if Hue wants everyone to buy into his system I guess he feels the need for younger players rather than veterans who can spot a chink in the armore a mile away. If the sky starts falling at week 3 it's going to be the vets knowing it was going to happen. Plus, it's hard to turn it around when the year before you only won three ball games.

Passing on the qb's in the first rd. I pointed out this would happen after RG3 came aboard. That doesn't mean I agree with it. But I can say the Rams ans Eagles took bigger risks getting the qb's. They put the farm as a down payment for a night on the town. I feel Wentz or Goff weren't worthy of such a high pick.it was hype that got them in a right year for need. So...was it such a risk not getting them? Ask the other qb's that were drafted in the first rd along with another first rounder to the Browns. Manziel, Weeden and Quinn all had fellow teammates drafted in the same rd.

Pretty much my thoughts except I was a Goff-guy. I saw "it" in him already. But since he did not fall to 2... eff it...

Every time anything is done, that inherently a risk to something else -- because of the opportunity cost that was given up.

We didn't address DB [aside from trading for Taylor] this offseason... because we addressed WR.

If you think free agents are the answer, the only question you're asking is "How much money can we waste right now"

If you're looking for a temporary fix designed to boost jersey sales, then keep demanding "immediate solutions now"

If you actually want a long-term solution, then you need to give management 2,3,4 years to actually rotate through addressing each position individually.

Taking players in the supplemental draft is a risk - because you give up that same pick in the following year's actual draft.. when you can get a player you are much more certain will be a good contributor rather than the discipline nightmare which is causing the player to be in the supplemental draft.

How did Pryor work out for OAK? I don't think Gordon has actually worked out for us, regardless of his potential reinstatement.

I do NOT think the solution is to make more "risky" moves --- that's akin to telling poor people that the reason they're poor is because they haven't bought enough lottery tickets. Rather, I think the reason Browns have been terrible over the past few years is because they keep shooting for the moon instead of building a roster of consistent contributors.

Kruger was a terrible investment.

T.Williams was a terrible investment.

Paul Soluiuaiauairy was a terrible investment.

Dansby took time away from developing Kirksey.

Dwayne Bowe

And there's plenty of history [Gary Baxter, Donte Stallworth, LeCharles Bentley, Jeff Garcia, among others]

Beef up the scounting, draft and develop and retain -- that's it, and that's always been it.

Was a classic and backed it up with the train scene...

Personally, I favor "Body Heat" featuring a young and very hot Kathleen Turner, and one of my favorite line sequences ever...

Ned: I need a lot of love.

Matty: I'm a married woman.

Ned: I only need it for tonite.

So I tried starting a football thread to get away from being crazy again. Then the perverts took over. :)

You put the word risky in their to describe NFL business. That diverts me to Rebecca every damn time. Yeah, "My name is Bill and I'm a divert". :lol:

If you love a thread, set it free (as if you have a choice).

If it loves you, it will come back to you.

Archived