THE BROWNS BOARD

Are the Browns in the Backseat?

The Gipper

It seems to me that what with the Cavaliers having just won a Championship, and the Indians having a 14 game winning streak and in first place by a big margin, that the Browns have taken a back seat in terms of fan interest in them. Now, while I think this will always be a football town......if the other teams in town are winning titles and contending for titles, I do not think the Browns can just stay the status quo....and have the moniker as the one suck ass team in town.

If the Indians are in hot contention in the fall......all the attention will be on them...and not on the Browns. That means likely that the discretionary sports dollars will be spent elsewhere....tickets to Indians games....the overpriced beer being bought there and not at Browns games. Paraphenalia sales will go there.

While I suspect the games will still be sold out....the hearts and minds...and dollars.. of the fans here will be focused elsewhere. For Father's Day my kids got me some Cavs and Indians T-shirts. No Browns stuff.

Bottom line: the other teams in town winning takes away from the Browns bottom line.

Get your asses in gear and start winning. Grab the fans by the balls and their hearts and minds will follow.

Until the Browns start having 10 or more wins in a season, then they will always be in the backseat. As Browns fans, we can only take one season at a time, and build on each win week after week, season after season. Then we can be in the drivers seat, and our famous dawg pound will have its bite back.

Is it better if the Browns are kickin' it in the front seat or sittin' in the back seat?

First they have to come out from under the bus just to get a seat..............anywhere. Here' hoping that process starts this month.

CLE is a football city first and foremost...

Doesn't mean we don't love our winners in other sports, but none of them draw the support the Browns do in a losing season.... let alone a losing decade... or two.

Doesn't mean we don't love our winners in other sports, but none of them draw the support the Browns do in a losing season.... let alone a losing decade... or two.

Right....if the Browns had just won the Super Bowl, the parade would never end.....

They thought we were over the top with the Cavs win???....HA!.......just wait till it's the Browns turn.....cant even imagine.....

Another way to look at it......if you could have a pair of free tickets to go watch a game this year....who would you watch?

Id still pick the Browns.....

99% of this board agrees Mud.

Always has been ever since I can remember.

BUT that can change.

Apathy can set in and has set in.

1995 is a long time ago. The Browns were always a respected organization. But that organization is elsewhere.

For this entire century we're thought of as a bungling player hell-hole. And that sentiment cannot change without proof that it deserves to.

Have you been noticing...as the season wears on...there's almost as many fans of the opposition as there is Browns fans at the home games? That's apathy...selling their tickets...can't be bothered going to see them play football anymore.

I've told me son, the hot-shot Patriots fan, "Hey, when I was your age my buddies and I could drive up to Foxborough on a Sunday, buy tickets, and sit almost anywhere we wanted."

Bob Kraft got that thing going. Haslam has been throwing darts but hasn't hit any balloons yet. (unless it turns out that the Geek Squad is a bulls-eye).

BUT that can change.

1995 is a long time ago. The Browns were always a respected organization. But that organization is elsewhere.

For this entire century we're thought of as a bungling player hell-hole. And that sentiment cannot change without proof that it deserves to.

Have you been noticing...as the season wears on...there's almost as many fans of the opposition as there is Browns fans at the home games? That's apathy...selling their tickets...can't be bothered going to see them play football anymore.

I've told me son, the hot-shot Patriots fan, "Hey, when I was your age my buddies and I could drive up to Foxborough on a Sunday, buy tickets, and sit almost anywhere we wanted."

Bob Kraft got that thing going. Haslam has been throwing darts but hasn't hit any balloons yet. (unless it turns out that the Geek Squad is a bulls-eye).

This ^

A couple of things:

First, we need to remember that, for kids 16 years old and under, the Browns have never been anything but embarrassing. Case in point--I was talking

with a friend of mine about how the Browns are killing their fan base and he told me that after another numbing loss last season his 5-year old son looked

at him and asked, "Dad, why do we root for this team? They suck! Why aren't we Patriots fans?" Now, some of you can rant on about fair weather fans, etc.,

but the hard truth is there are too many alternatives for kids nowadays than cheering for a bad football team.

Speaking for myself, I can tell you that 2 seasons ago my brother-in-law had free tickets to the Steeler game in Pittsburgh on the last day of the season.

He begged me all week to go to the game with him (he's a Steeler fan). The morning of the game was cold and rainy and I told him I had no desire to

drive 2 hours to watch the Browns get their teeth kicked in at Heinz Field. Or any field for that matter. I recently turned 55 and I decided a few years ago

that life is too fucking short to waste it on watching bad football.

And I'm definitely not the only one who feels this way. As Orion pointed out, witness the thousands of opposing fans at CBS every week.

BUT that can change.

Tell me when HS football is no longer the king of NE Ohio, and I'll concede your point. Until then...

Plus it's a matter of what is poised to move to #1. Basketball? Wasn't even #2 in my day. That slot was firmly held by wrestling. Baseball? lol...

Point is that football fans are constantly being "raised" in NE Ohio. Enough will support the Browns regardless of their competence for as long as it takes for them to find success again.

Tell me when HS football is no longer the king of NE Ohio, and I'll concede your point. Until then...

Plus it's a matter of what is poised to move to #1. Basketball? Wasn't even #2 in my day. That slot was firmly held by wrestling. Baseball? lol...

Point is that football fans are constantly being "raised" in NE Ohio.

The Browns simply need to show a little spark to go back into first place. 1.3 million for a parade would be surpassed.

The Browns simply need to show a little spark to go back into first place. 1.3 million for a parade would be surpassed.

I could see the ante raised to 2.5 mill for a browns parade.

It seems to me that what with the Cavaliers having just won a Championship, and the Indians having a 14 game winning streak and in first place by a big margin, that the Browns have taken a back seat in terms of fan interest in them. Now, while I think this will always be a football town......if the other teams in town are winning titles and contending for titles, I do not think the Browns can just stay the status quo....and have the moniker as the one suck ass team in town.

If the Indians are in hot contention in the fall......all the attention will be on them...and not on the Browns. That means likely that the discretionary sports dollars will be spent elsewhere....tickets to Indians games....the overpriced beer being bought there and not at Browns games. Paraphenalia sales will go there.

While I suspect the games will still be sold out....the hearts and minds...and dollars.. of the fans here will be focused elsewhere. For Father's Day my kids got me some Cavs and Indians T-shirts. No Browns stuff.

Bottom line: the other teams in town winning takes away from the Browns bottom line.

Get your asses in gear and start winning. Grab the fans by the balls and their hearts and minds will follow.

When teams win there cant help but be increased interest, regardless this will always be browns town first and foremost.

Championships in Cleveland unfortunately appear to come by order of importance to Cleveland sports fans...first that dude from Euclid who just won the UFC Heavyweight Championship, then the Lake Erie Monsters, then the Cavs....next up are the Indians who are looking good. The last to win a championship in Cleveland will be the team most loved, your beloved Browns.

The Browns are the Rodney Dangerfield of the NFL. I was in a sock shop in Estes Park, Colorado today and browsed their "NFL Wall". Found there were a row top to bottom for each team except Green Pay and the Stealers, both of whom had their own sectional of about 6 rows each. What team was missing? You guessed it. The Browns had totally vanished from the NFL alphabet. They had no column for the Cleveland Browns. "I tell ya we get no respect. Take my Browns, Please." :lol:

The Browns are the Rodney Dangerfield of the NFL. I was in a sock shop in Estes Park, Colorado today and browsed their "NFL Wall". Found there were a row top to bottom for each team except Green Pay and the Stealers, both of whom had their own sectional of about 6 rows each. What team was missing? You guessed it. The Browns had totally vanished from the NFL alphabet. They had no column for the Cleveland Browns. "I tell ya we get no respect. Take my Browns, Please." :lol:

When we were in San Antonio, I walked into a Cowboys' store & asked where their Cleveland Browns' section was. They reacted, but in a friendly manner with a sense of humor...much different than the attitudes I have experienced in similar situations in Pittsburgh!

Mike

Yep.

When the Cavs and Tribe are no longer in first place they'll be almost forgotten.

WSS

I have an unused pair of Manziel sox, if you are interested... :)

I have an unused pair of Manziel sox, if you are interested... :)

LOL! I still have my unwrapped primo #2 jersey waiting for a chance to have him sign "Johnny Football" when he's running a BBQ in Kerrville some day.

The Sugarland Express (Ken Hall) owned and operated one on the south side of Fredericksburg, Tx. for many years, now retired at age 80 there. He held the record for career rushing yards for a H.S. back from 1953 until 2012 when Derrick Henry finally broke it.

When teams win there cant help but be increased interest, regardless this will always be browns town first and foremost.

Championships in Cleveland unfortunately appear to come by order of importance to Cleveland sports fans...first that dude from Euclid who just won the UFC Heavyweight Championship, then the Lake Erie Monsters, then the Cavs....next up are the Indians who are looking good. The last to win a championship in Cleveland will be the team most loved, your beloved Browns.

We have had other minor league championships before.....like indoor soccer. And college level titles: Akron U soccer D-1 soccer title....all the Mt. Union titles. And other smaller college titles. Only the 3 major sports really count.

I think Cleveland could support an NHL franchise.....but the likes of the NBA and NHL don't really want to compete with other sports. The NHL went into Las Vegas....the only pro sports franchise there now....until and unless the Raiders go there. But those sports really like their one horse towns.

The Browns stuff all sold out.

LOL! I still have my unwrapped primo #2 jersey waiting for a chance to have him sign "Johnny Football" when he's running a BBQ in Kerrville some day.

lol... conjured up an image of a balding, potbellied JFF in a BBQ stained apron asking, "You want any pickles on your plate?"

Archived