THE BROWNS BOARD

Swarming defenses outweigh franchise QB's.

SkippinTurtles

I've always favored the defense over the offense. A strong front 4 and a dominating LB group is all I want. I do enjoy watching a good running back, but the Browns haven't had much in the running back dept. for awhile.

Ray Horton is our DC again, and I know many of us probably have mixed feelings about him. For me personally, I remember Horton as the guy who "always blitzed on 3rd down", and the results were only so-so. It seemed that the offense always knew what we were doing, and we got burned all of the time. Of course, I remember us getting some sacks as well, but my memory mainly shows us getting toasted on 3rd and long CONSTANTLY. Not sure how factual that memory is, but whatever.

I could probably disagree with your post if I really had the energy. NFL wins seem largely won with OFFENSE, but one look at the Superbowl champs might suggest otherwise. And what exactly do you think of when you say "swarming defense"? To me, I see guys running to the ball, not missing tackles, not giving up on plays, and being in position. I see a defense with speed and players who pursue to the sound of the whistle.

I just read an article which basically said our roster was akin to an expansion team, and aside from Thomas and Haden (who is injured and coming off a rough year), our entire roster is devoid of impact talent. Reasons for defensive optimism aren't exactly easy to list, but if the sun shines directly on us, here's what could happen to provide us with that "swarming defense":

1. Christian Kirksey thrives at his position and takes shape as a "playmaker". Forced fumbles, interceptions, high tackle numbers, and even sacks are needed.

2. Our OLB's get sacks, QB pressures, and forced fumbles. Whether it's Kruger, Orchard, Ogbah, Armonty Bryant, or even Mingo...we need them to wreck it.

3. Haden gets healthy and comes back with a vengeance. Our defense NEEDS this, and also for K. Williams to avoid injury and possibly Gilbert to shine.

4. Shelton's weight loss and year of experience provides him with the ability to stay on the field longer and to make impact plays.

These are just a few of the things that would have to happen for our defense to become swarming and respectable. Here's to hoping that it happens...

If you can't score points.. you cant win in the first place.. the QB then D...

i just hope the defense can get back to looking like they belong in the NFL. How many missed tackles did we see last year? How many running backs were able to blow right through our front line? How many times did we see the defense get torched by the same "lob the ball over the middle" play? Now with O'Neil gone hopefully the defense will be able to get some pressure up front, the secondary will wake up and not give up on plays, and the offense won't be forced to rely on a QB's arm to stay in the game. Some games McCown pulled out some heroic stuff, only to lose because the defense just blew it.

I'm excited to see what this young team will do, it can't be any worse than last year.

D should always be stronger than O. Short of an Aaron Rodgers, build your D and develop a competent offense.

You've got it exactly backwards.

A good defense only matters if you can make it to the playoffs......and you're not sniffing the playoffs without an offense that can score points.

You've got it exactly backwards.

A good defense only matters if you can make it to the playoffs......and you're not sniffing the playoffs without an offense that can score points.

You need both.. not going far without either. But I agree with your post.

Yep. Again, look at the current champs

The current champs also have a historically good defense. The 2013 hawks and 2015 Broncos have been models of defensive dominance in very short spans. Its not likely to happen again soon.

That said. The model for sustained success isn't having sole focus to one side of the ball. Balance is necessary otherwise you'll be shouldering the burden with only half your players.

I'd lean on the Broncos defense this year being the most impressive I've seen in some time because there were stretches when their offensive was totally inept.

it seems like the past regime was adament about building the D. too bad none of their picks have panned out as planned.

key to building anything is to make sure the building blocks aren't made of butter.

Yep. Again, look at the current champs

Current doesn't stay current for too long..They don't get there without Manning..

Lets see how average they are this season...

Building a franchise D is easier than finding a franchise QB.

If it were that easy .. Everyone would do it..

Building a franchise D is easier than finding a franchise QB.

Our regimes have made everything look hard to do.

Here's why I think we should build an offense first:

1) With a good offense you're never really out of a game.

2) You may be able to outscore teams to cover for your defense and win games.

3) The games most probably will be more exciting and more entertaining to the masses.

With a good offense we MIGHT even make the playoffs...or contend for them.

As has been said, you need both if you want to be a champion as the defense is the separator once you make the playoffs.

And on offense you HAVE TO be able to pass the ball well. Again, some sort of 'feared' balance is needed (you have to be able to run the ball somewhat at least).

A good defense cannot score enough points to cover for an inept offense.

When you come to the conclusion that you DON'T have a good enough QB, then you have to step back up to the plate and try to hit the home run......again......and again.....until you DO get your QB, because...the position is just that important to success these days. It doesn't have to be a Tom Brady (though that's the goal) but it can't be a backup quality QB as your starter.

no, no, no.

doesn't matter which one you build first, you try to build both - the best building blocks

as you can get them.

If Brady had been drafted by the Browns, nobody would know who he was - it's the Arcie Manning

syndrome - you can't win without the pieces in place.

Now, a swarming defense is eleven guys playing in sync. A true, elite franchise qb is only one player.

11 > 1. Now, seriously - Peyton Manniing took a playoff caliber team to the superbowl and won it.

The Broncos got to the playoffs in 2011...with freaking Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow, the latter saved their

season. Orton started, they lost a few games, and then Tim Tebow took over.

Tim Tebow was a popsickle stick.

But Denver had most of the pieces in place. The qb made the difference, and Tebow isn't an

elite franchise qb.

Building a football team to win, is like the old mousetrap game racing another mousetrap game. You have to

get all the right pieces in place, or the mouse won't be trapped. It does't work. Now, you are missing a few pieces,

sure, you can duct tape a popsickle stick into the mousetrap and make it work... if you have a good popsickle stick.

Past regimes of the Browns just didn't get it. They were like "say, we want our mousetrap game to work, let's use

this expensive pencil, and a few grapes and an avacado, and try to make the mousetrap work".

Nah. Hue and Co are way, way too smart and experienced for that. They get it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_Trap_(game)

He's above average, not special.

Yes and only the best damn QB in modern times.. Go back to school , Charlie.

I will always say that a team needs a strong defense. Its my favorite side of the team. DE, DT, & LB are my favorite positions. I know a team needs a productive QB, and a good RB & WR, but I will stick to building a strong defense 100%.

Loading your D with talent always makes sense. Trent Dilfer was garbage, but he has more rings than Warren Moon, Dan Marino and Pihilip Rivers. Building your D is more realistic than praying for a franchise QB. Sometimes even "franchise" QB's win jack shit. Scoring points is great. Hurting your opponent is better, especially if you get a ring.

Loading your D with talent always makes sense. Trent Dilfer was garbage, but he has more rings than Warren Moon, Dan Marino and Pihilip Rivers. Building your D is more realistic than praying for a franchise QB. Sometimes even "franchise" QB's win jack shit. Scoring points is great. Hurting your opponent is better, especially if you get a ring.

having shit QB is no way to build a dynasty

Did I just read that Brady is above average but not special? Is that terms for being removed from the board? Brady threw 50 tds one year. That's Retarded. How many times has he had a badass WR? Edleman is a system guy, and owes his salary to Tom.

Brady might be the best of all time. I remember a 3rd and 10 where the center stepped on Brady's foot and he fell down with the ball. Instead of covering the ball up and punting, he threw a ROPE to the sideline where his WR made an amazing catch for a 1st down. He threw a dart from his ass cheeks, 12 yards, to his guy that could not have been any better. Obviously this doesn't mean he's the best ever, but it's a play I'll never forget.

He threw it while on his ASS.

how many times has Brady had a great, superstar TE? When Brady started in

2001 they had Troy Brown, a star college wr who slipped in the draft because he was

5'6"...but an outstanding career. Brown played wr for...well over ten years.

and he had Rod Rutledge, te, 6'5", 265 lbs who caught the first pass from Brady..

terrific blocker, 2nd round draft pick.

interesting to note - the Patriots saw that the big TE made a huge difference in their offense,

and they ended up drafting Gronkowski - 6'5", 265 lbs.... 2nd round...

He had Terry Glenn, whose yards and catches plummeted Brady's first year, first round draft pick..

Brady ended up being a terrific qb who had some tools, and a solid pass protecting offensive line,

with a terrific defense. Good combination, tremendous achieivements. But hardly the greatest

qb ever, smart, quick release...

He just went to a good situation and excelled. If he had gone to a bad situation, he wouldn't have, that's all.

Archived