THE BROWNS BOARD

Boy were you guys wrong

One Post

Bama's OL isn't that good.

I am interested to see him but I agree he has pretty poor footwork (and there's a video from Titans mini camp proving that).

The National Champions rushed for 2,999 yards and here's what some of their RBs did before logic leads us to the guy that had a lot of negative plays:

Derrick Henry 5.6 ypc

Kenyan Drake 5.3 ypc

Bo Scarbrough 5.8 ypc

The QB who touched the ball on every offensive play (or 98% of them):

Jake Coker 0.9 ypc

They're not winning National Championships and consistently getting RBs drafted up in rounds 1 and 2 because they're pedestrian at run blocking over the years. They ran on Michigan State better than anyone I've seen including Ohio State last year.

A one dimensional back can be found much later. To be honest, Elliott would have made sense for the browns - an offensive star that would be effective in this offensive system, and the next in two years, and then the next two years after that, etc. but a big power back that's not so much with the breakaway speed or the catchy catchy has limited worth in the NFL.

You need to go back and review a few of his long distance TD's in which DB's improperly assumed exactly what you assume, no breakaway speed. For some strange reason they always found themselves trailing him to the endzone. Go figure.

What a slow poke!

Not convinced yet? Then just watch the first two here.

Henry went to the NFL team that enjoyed the 6'3" Eddie George. He also had a pretty good combine so maybe he went to the right situation at #45 overall. I still wouldn't have taken him at 15 or 32 for our situation. We had bigger needs in emptier cupboards.

On Henry... awful lot of views out there that he simply lacks the lateral movement NFL RBs need to be successful. We shall see..

Agreed.. Advantage Zeke with Dallas OL over Titians also. Zeke better cutting feet with balance. Watching Henry's straight up body attack, straight forward reminds me of my old vibrating football game table. Vibrate to sideline & never cut it up field :o Damn I wish that vibrating table had remote controls..These kids today are so spoiled :P

Watching Henry's straight up body attack, straight forward reminds me of my old vibrating football game table. Vibrate to sideline & never cut it up field :o

Yep, poor lil guy was only allowed to use one arm to shed those big ole MSU DE's to help him find his way up field near the sidelines. I downright feel sorry for him. :P

Ag, I think you are in love haha.

Big, upright backs tend to take such a beating that they don't last. I wish the kid the best but I just don't see anything other than a between the tackles grinder who runs upright. A recipe to get bludgeoned.

Eric Dickerson, John Riggins, Larry Csonka-rest my case.

Maybe even throw in Jim Brown for those who have forgotten how he ran over people in a long career.

Call us when one of those Alabama backs do well in the NFL. They have had one fairly good one in Shaun Alexander, and once upon a time Tony Nathan was a good all purpose back. By the end of his career Eddie Lacy may be about in the Alexander level.

But, to be fair, when you have produced the likes of Namath, Stabler, Starr, Newsome, John Hannah, Bob Baumhauer and Dwight Stephenson...you have done all right on the offesive side of the ball.

So we comparing Henry to Hall of Famer exceptions or the tons of other guys who washed out who were tall backs who ran through the line upright?

I suggest that just as many guys who tried to run through the line in a non-upright position washed out as "upright" runners.

Though...I am not sure how you can distinguish one from another. About the only thing you can do is look at stature.

Agreed.. Advantage Zeke with Dallas OL over Titians also. Zeke better cutting feet with balance. Watching Henry's straight up body attack, straight forward reminds me of my old vibrating football game table. Vibrate to sideline & never cut it up field :o Damn I wish that vibrating table had remote controls..These kids today are so spoiled :P

Very good point about the offensive lines. Our defensive front only overwhelmed TN and SF last year. You know what else Zeke has a big edge over Henry with? Blocking.

When 1 guy always brought up Bosa - I liked to say my favorite Buckeye in the draft was Zeke.

I think Henry is going to be a good player in this league but even the team that took him grabbed 3 bigger priorities before the 45th spot overall. It was fun watching Aggies go to bat for him and participating in the tug of war.

Living in Nashville, I can tell you how much Titans fans loved a similar framed Eddie George. One of the things the Titans beat writer (Jim Wyatt) talked about on the radio this week was the new GM Jon Robinson said Henry has really good hands in spite of his small reception volume at Bama he feels is going to surprise a lot of people. Henry also put together a pretty good combine IMO. It just seems like RB in comparison to other skill positions in the draft gets prioritized like Offensive Guard does in comparison with other offensive line spots. All those that once told us we did terrific trading up to #3 for Trent Richardson have probably come to understand this.

We need to start competing outside at WR and we need a better outside pass rush so we drafted a WR that scored 20 TDs last year (while winning the Biletnikoff as top college Receiver) and 11 TDs the year before while Ogbah was the Defensive Player of the Year in the Big 12 with 13 sacks and 17.5 tackles for a loss which also earned him All American honors. Compared to our 2015 stink at these positions, these guys smell like a delicious steak on the grill in my insatiable appetite to see better than what we've counted on.

Was going to post a DraftScout comparison between Eddie and Henry (it's what i do), but to my surprise Eddie pre-dates DraftScout's database which only goes back to '99.

The Combine began in '82 (surprised me it was that early), but not finding data earlier than 2000.

But on the positive side the DraftScout search turned up Eddie's kid, Jaire, who's attending Vandy. He had injury issues as a Frosh. "Positive side" if a certain segment of us needed yet another reminder of how old we are. Time flies...

If Derrick Henry would become the next Eddie George then that would really:

A. Be a surprise to me

B. Be awesome for the Tits...especially if Mariota becomes a first rate QB...they would have a redux of McNair/George.....a combo that helped them get to a Super Bowl, no?

A. Be a surprise to me

B. Be awesome for the Tits...especially if Mariota becomes a first rate QB...they would have a redux of McNair/George.....a combo that helped them get to a Super Bowl, no?

Well what the hell? :D

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/Is-Derrick-Henry-the-Next-Eddie-George/93019c2a-8a18-4452-a0ca-a343419a9bec

“His strength and his size,’’ George said of Henry. “He has exceptional breakaway speed. … I think Henry is an A, A-plus guy. The guy rushed for 2,000 yards last year. He can take over a game when he gets going. I like his style.”

A. Be a surprise to me

Fan-bases do that kind of thing with comparing new guys to people they've had in their program as benchmark barometers. RBs being 6'3" are unique so of course former fan fave Titan Eddie George will be mentioned on Nashville sports radio. For that matter, air or not, Henry is being stereotypes as a Bama RB just like all the former Tedford Wives, I mean QBs, used to be stereotyped as system beneficiaries prior to Aaron Rodgers breaking trend.

When Ohio State used to stockpile Cris Carter, Terry Glenn, Joey Galloway, David Boston - they were the team to get your WR from while Penn State was LBer U once upon a time.

And Joey Bosa had a fan club in here even if he was going to be drafted into a bore-to-snore 5 technique or a 2 point stance like SD will have him doing for the first time. Something tells me it won't look nearly as easy as Joey getting back into a coverage vrs Illinois. The major thing challenging a guy accustomed to nothing but sic em from a 3 point is if you guess wrong when a guy like Gio Bernard hits your flats - have fun in the film room man... A lot of guys don't make this adaptation smoothly at all.

Ray Horton got his NFL potty training and future comfort zone niche as a defensive coach in LeBeau's system where the OLBers (Kevin Greene, Greg Lloyd, Chad Brown, Joey Porter, Jason Gildon, James Harrison, and LaMarr Woodley) were the designated pass rushers while the 5 techniques playing head up on the OT play 2 gap integrity in lieu of a 1 gap upfield unless they were asked to slant to the the wide side of the field or the strength of formation. The OLBers there almost always had higher sack volumes than their best 5 technique Brett Keisel for anyone believeing the DEs are always supposed to lead their team in sacks.

Here's the thing that's really important to understand, a lot of Pitt's previous OLBers spent their first 2 years or so watching the guy ahead of them play like a Pro Bowl player so when they finally got the chance - they played a little faster than other first year starters just thrown into it. More recently, they had to throw inexperienced guys into the fire (especially when Harrison wasn't there) and LeBeau looked like he lost the magic.

In Cleveland, we don't have Pro Bowl pass rushers at OLBer role modeling the way it should be done for first year guys so of course there's premature conclusions asking what took so long for Orchard to close strong. Well, he can only sack guys if he's getting the reps so that was just as much of the reason as the learning curve. I liked what I saw from Orchard. Tia got an A+ for getting me and others interested in that guy.

So, I tried to explain to the Bosa fan club that he'd better off going to somebody that likes to run a 4-3 or is used to doing so. Horton wasn't brought here for expertise/comfort zone with a 4-3 so our front office tried to work with that IMO. I think Bosa will need to shed about 15 lbs if he wants to succeed with getting to his zone on time to be effective in coverage. If you're thinking any coach should be able to run a 4-3, I agree. That said, injury volumes can challenge the numbers up front to keep Horton Hears a Hue in his 3 man front comfort. Last time Ray was here, we had fat guys playing the 5 technique like Rubin, Hughes and Taylor. This time we already lost our best 5 technique in the weight room and we look like we have the personnel to run a 4 man front so I'll keep my fingers crossed Horton starts to re-introduce the "hybrid fronts" he said before his last gig here.

Henry is definitely a victim of what the flavor of the year is with the draft. He would've been drafted higher in a year with a strong running game going deep into the playoffs. With a pass happy league it's the qb's right now. We've seen his before at different positions so the Titans get a steal right here.

What might've happened is the former rbs drafted out of Bama. The sec conference is a leader of draft players that have busted. To me..Eddie Lacy is directly attached to Henry for no reason.

The sec conference is a leader of draft players that have busted.

Maybe because the SEC also is the leader by far of players drafted.............period. The more you have drafted, then the more that have the potential to bust.

Here are the schools that had had the most players drafted in the 20 years after the 2015 NFL draft. OSU was only 1 behind FSU then. Now with the 2016 draft, OSU, with their 12 will have become #1. FSU only had two players drafted this year.

1. Florida State - 124
Round 1 picks: 30
Highest overall pick: Andre Wadsworth, No. 3 (1998) - Florida Christian (Miami) High School
Round 2 picks: 18
NFL connection: Tampa Bay has drafted eight players from Florida State since 1994.

2. Ohio State - 123
Round 1 picks: 31
Highest overall pick: Orlando Pace, No. 1 (1997) - Sandusky (Ohio) High School
Dan Wilkinson, No. 1 (1994) - Dunbar (Dayton, Ohio) High School
Round 2 picks: 22
NFL connection: St. Louis has drafted nine players from Ohio State since 1994.

3. USC - 113
Round 1 picks: 25
Highest overall pick: Carson Palmer, No. 1 (2003) - Santa Margarita (Calif.) High School
Keyshawn Johnson, No. 1 (1996) - Dorsey (Los Angeles) High School
Round 2 picks: 48
NFL connection: Jacksonville has drafted seven players from USC since 1994.

4. Miami (FL) - 111
Round 1 picks: 33
Highest overall pick: Andre Johnson, No. 3 (2003) - Miami (Fla.) High School
Round 2 picks: 22
NFL connection: Baltimore and Cleveland have drafted seven Miami players since 1994.

5. Florida - 107
Round 1 picks: 23
Highest overall pick: Gerard Warren, No. 3 (2001) - Union County (Lake Butler, Fla.) High School
Round 2 picks: 32
NFL connection: Chicago has drafted nine Florida players since 1994.

5. Georgia - 107
Round 1 picks: 17
Highest overall pick: Matthew Stafford, No. 1 (2009) - Highland Park (Dallas) High School
Round 2 picks: 26
NFL connection: Cincinnati has drafted eight Georgia players since 1994.

7. Tennessee - 106
Round 1 picks: 20
Highest overall pick: Peyton Manning, No. 1 (1998) - Newman (New Orleans) High School
Round 2 picks: 36
NFL connection: Kansas City has drafted seven Tennessee players since 1994.

8. Nebraska - 99
Round 1 picks: 9
Highest overall pick: Ndamukong Suh, No. 3 (2010) - Grant (Portland, Ore.) High Shool
NFL connection: St. Louis has drafted eight Nebraska players since 1994.

9. LSU - 98
Round 1 picks: 19
Highest overall pick: JaMarcus Russell, No. 1 (2007) - Williamson (Mobile, Ala.) High School
NFL connection: Dallas and Seattle have drafted six players from LSU since 1994.

10. Notre Dame - 97
Round 1 picks: 11
Highest overall pick: Bryant Young, No. 7 (1994) - Bloom (Chicago Heights, Ill.) High School
Round 2 picks: 18
NFL connection: San Francisco has drafted six Notre Dame players since 1994.

The National Champions rushed for 2,999 yards and here's what some of their RBs did before logic leads us to the guy that had a lot of negative plays:

Derrick Henry 5.6 ypc

Kenyan Drake 5.3 ypc

Bo Scarbrough 5.8 ypc

The QB who touched the ball on every offensive play (or 98% of them):

Jake Coker 0.9 ypc

They're not winning National Championships and consistently getting RBs drafted up in rounds 1 and 2 because they're pedestrian at run blocking over the years. They ran on Michigan State better than anyone I've seen including Ohio State last year.

None of those are particularly amazing ypc's at the college level. And what I posted about them being near the bottom in negative plays was accurate.

They run the ball more than most teams and usually have good backs that understand the philosophy, so the yards come. You're also talking about such immense talent all across the field to defend that teams can't focus on the run game totally.

That total pick chart would be more interesting if it broke each school's bar into color coded segments by decade... showing ebb and flow of programs.

That total pick chart would be more interesting if it broke each school's bar into color coded segments by decade... showing ebb and flow of programs.

That bar chart represented the players that were on active rosters as of the start of 2015. It would likely only go back a decade, decade and a half. The other post related the total draft picks in the last 20 years.

Overall, since 1936, the start of the NFL draft, only USC and Notre Dame have had more picks than Ohio State:

Colleges With Most Draft Picks College Number

USC 497

Notre Dame 493

Ohio State 430

Oklahoma 377

Nebraska 357

Michigan 351

Penn State 343

Tennessee 337

Texas 337

Alabama 333

Florida 331