THE BROWNS BOARD

Progress?

gftChris

A Tweet On Women's Veils, Followed By Raging Debate In Saudi Arabia

The man at the eye of the storm in Saudi Arabia is Ahmad Aziz Al Ghamdi. He's a religious scholar, the former head of the religious police in Mecca, a group officially known as the Committee for Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice.

He has the pedigree of an ultra-conservative. Yet he stunned Saudis with a religious ruling, known as a fatwa, that is very liberal by Saudi standards. He declared that the niqab, the black face veil that is ubiquitous among women in Saudi society, is not obligatory.

Interesting. I wonder how much it actually means in the long term for a country that is by far and away the most backwards in terms of women's rights.

A Tweet On Women's Veils, Followed By Raging Debate In Saudi Arabia

Interesting. I wonder how much it actually means in the long term for a country that is by far and away the most backwards in terms of women's rights.

He stated something every Muslim with a brain already knows and this causes shockwaves? LOL. One doesn't need a fatwa to know this. This has always been the #1 problem I've had with some Muslim societies. Too many followers and not enough independent thinkers. It all goes back to the lack of education. It's also why, despite having to deal with some bigotry, it is great to be a Muslim in Western society. We can say progress when we start seeing better education in the ME. Still, the tweet is overall a good thing.

careful there now - admitting that the wisdom of this ultra conservative - Ahmad Aziz Al Ghamdi, by declaring

"the black face veil that is ubiquitous among women in Saudi society, is not obligatory." also came with death threats.

Could it be said that it takes guts (or courage) by an ultra conservative to SAY something any other typical

"cleric" (with NO independent convictions) would never say?

Archived