THE BROWNS BOARD

the torture report

Westside Steve

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So just for the record, who would, if you had the authority, authorize enhanced interrogation tactics if it were almost certain to save lives?

Who would not regardless of the situation?

WSS

Not the president, IMO. The president needs to not know, not make those decisions. Sort of like a 'deniable ops' situation.

Because they expect it I imagine? In any case fuck them. I'm not going to sit around and cry that Khalid Sheik Mohammed and his compatriots got waterboarded. Fuck them and fuck anyone who gives a fuck.

Calm down there buddy.

I am just on the side of actually doing what we preach. If we had this same situation with Ameeican citizens everyone would be pissed.

So just for the record, who would, if you had the authority, authorize enhanced interrogation tactics if it were almost certain to save lives?

Who would not regardless of the situation?

WSS

Imo nobody, it has to be such an extreme situation(so and so has a nuclear bomb hidden somewhere) that it is unlikely to happen.

Those UN treaties are basically toilet paper. I wish we would quit pretending like it matters. If one of the big boys in the UN does something wrong, the rest of them can only bitch about it and nothing more.

They are worthless, because there is no way to hold the large countries accountable for anything they may do. For instance the US torture, if another country wanted to try and hold us accountable, we would likely stop trading with them and anyone else who would support their case, their country would likely lose out on millions(or billions depending on the country).

You guys seem to be hedging here. I'm saying it's up to you. Sad is there a cut off point for human lives? Then what would be yours? 1, 5, 50, 100?

And Chris this is just a moral question. You're in charge and you won't get busted if that's what you're worried about.

Would you guys or wouldn't you?

WSS

Honestly, if your suspect is a fanatic prepared to die for his cause, what makes you think he's going to tell you? He'd rather die and be welcomed in heaven by Allah (since this seems to be the assumption) than betray the cause, he'd gladly suffer through the torture if it meant more western infidels dying.

Honestly, if your suspect is a fanatic prepared to die for his cause, what makes you think he's going to tell you? He'd rather die and be welcomed in heaven by Allah (since this seems to be the assumption) than betray the cause, he'd gladly suffer through the torture if it meant more western infidels dying.

Another hedge?

C'mon bud, this guy has information that could stop an attack. Do you beat it out of him or not? You can take the high ground and say no you would sacrifice the people to the altar of the United Nations if you want.

WSS

I would praise allah and wait anxiously to meet the 17 (or however many) virgins awaiting me. Although, I would prefer they had some experience.

It's a running joke that most grown women that are virgins are virgins for a reason. 72 flexible and open minded cheerleaders might be more welcome.

Another hedge?

C'mon bud, this guy has information that could stop an attack. Do you beat it out of him or not? You can take the high ground and say no you would sacrifice the people to the altar of the United Nations if you want.

WSS

I'm saying that it depends on the person. If you're dealing with your white supremacists, neo-nazis or just run-of-the-mill nutjobs, you've got a pretty good shot. But when the person is infected with the kind of religious zeal that would enable them to die for their cause, with the promise of eternal redemption, the prospect of their family joining them, or being down an arm or an eye for a few weeks/months isn't going to be enough to precipitate the release of the pertinent information.

You also have to be pretty damn sure that the guy is guilty. Like with the death penalty, I guess. But then, if the guy is sitting there mocking you for not knowing, you can be pretty sure of his guilt. Then, if you are beyond certain, you're going to kill him anyway, then what happens in international waters stays in international waters.

Again that's not what I'm asking and yes we need to be pretty damn certain he has information that would save lives. Whether or not you are going to kill him anyway is meaningless. He's just a guy that has information about what its going down with or without him

I mean seriously if he's the guy in charge he's already in custody.

WSS

Archived