THE BROWNS BOARD

Net Neutrality

VaporTrail

You are speaking more like an advertising firm than a distributor of information.

So I want to start up a business to compete with the bad guys. It costs X amount of money to use the services provided by the ISP.

I simply can't afford that because I am not as rich as Amazon.

Net neutrality fixes that problem exactly how? I'm not trying to bicker with you just trying to get an idea of the reality. Is it the intention to charge startup companies less than the big boys?

WSS

Check the graph that I linked to earlier in the thread. Comcast were negotiating with Netflix about their new deal. In a 'net neutral world' Comcast would not be allowed to modify the service they're providing to any customer, but as it stands, they basically throttled Netflix until they caved, so customers using Comcast to access Netflix were getting shitty speeds. Straight after the deal was agreed, the speeds went right up again.

http://knowmore.washingtonpost.com/2014/04/25/this-hilarious-graph-of-netflix-speeds-shows-the-importance-of-net-neutrality/

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are speaking more like an advertising firm than a distributor of information.

So I want to start up a business to compete with the bad guys. It costs X amount of money to use the services provided by the ISP.

I simply can't afford that because I am not as rich as Amazon.

Net neutrality fixes that problem exactly how? I'm not trying to bicker with you just trying to get an idea of the reality. Is it the intention to charge startup companies less than the big boys?

WSS

isp-speed.png

Steve, this shit happens because the cable companies are losing money to people who watch Netflix. No one wants to pay 120 a month for 700 channels when you really only watch 5 to 10. It's an outdated business model and people went elsewhere when Netflix and Amazon Prime and Hulu popped up. To reduce this competition, the cable companies extorted Netflix to pay some money or get throttled - these costs would presumably be passed on to the consumers of Netflix. Net neutrality would make it illegal to do this.

You are all still missing my point. As a consumer? Sure. I'm always happy to get something for less. I didn't care if DIRECTV got screwed or not when channel 19 held out on the Browns games. On the other hand if I own the means of distribution.....

WSS

Hence why a lot of people are wanting google fiber and verizon fios in their area.

Hence why a lot of people are wanting google fiber and verizon fios in their area.

True enough. I would imagine if they pulled their heads out of their ass communities counties States etc could run optic fiber underground and lease it to the retail company.

or sell open source Internet to the citizens.

WSS

Imagine if the electricity companies were able to do that? They didn't lay the wires, but they're still using them. These days, broadband is basically an essential service, at least it's treated that way in Europe.

True enough. I would imagine if they pulled their heads out of their ass communities counties States etc could run optic fiber underground and lease it to the retail company.

or sell open source Internet to the citizens.

WSS

It would be a good thing for the state\cities, put a bunch of people to work building the infrastructure(paid by state or community) then charge the ISP a small tax to use the network or demand they charge lower rates.

edit- be more beneficial than the keystone pipeline imo.

Which in no way means the keystone pipeline is a bad idea. But I understand. You have to get in a shot for your boy.

:D

WSS

Didn't mean to make it sound like I was against the keystone pipeline(more indifferent :) ), it just has more hurdles to pass(eminent domain for the land involved if the owners refuses to sell) with the company reaping the benefits in the long run more than the consumer(consumers get a job growth till completion vs the company saving money on transportation) compared to the benefits of fiber connections on consumers and small businesses.

• 3 weeks later...

"The suit claims that heavy use of the secondary network can be a significant burden in electricity costs for subscribers. The suit cites a study that found that heavy use of the secondary Xfinity network adds “30 to 40% more costs to a customer’s electricity bill” than the modem by itself does. On a national scale, the suit says, Comcast is pushing “tens of millions of dollars per month of the electricity bills needed to run their nationwide public Wi-Fi network onto consumers.”"

That's why it should upset you. Beyond that straightforward, bottom line stuff, there's also the inherent security risks associated with allowing anyone to connect to your router.

Who gives a fuck about security? Well, most people, when you can scrape any information used there, such as account credentials, personal details, bank details, and subsequently commit all kinds of fraud at their expense.

Who gives a fuck about security? Well, most people, when you can scrape any information used there, such as account credentials, personal details, bank details, and subsequently commit all kinds of fraud at their expense.

Heh.

Every time I suggest we need DNA and or retinal scans for identification (and that should be on file for every American) people shit their pants about intrusion of governmentand privacy and blah blah blah.

We use, get this, a 9 digit number printed on your identification cards and spoken out loud in front of groups of strangers when you go to the bank.

Security?

WSS

Ya, I'd much rather someone know the numbers of my debit card then to have full access into my computer and home network.

Which that's probably a lot easier to hack when you are online than from a van outside your house. But either way you sound awfully fearful for a guy who has a belly laugh over illegal aliens raping and murdering children and the like.

;)

WSS

Hmmm... I sound fearful? Really? Or are you just grasping at straws here? I must have missed all of the threads I started about scary cable companies doing scary cable company things...

And yes, when I make fun of the scary brown people threads it's totally about the actual crime and victim, not the fear mongering story itself.

That's two strikes. You're on fire today Steve.

If this potentially opens up everyone's home wifi to hackers than yes, it is a bigger deal. I'm guessing Comcast has some idea of what they're doing, even if everyone hates them. I'm just making the point that a hacker getting full access to my computer is worse than someone knowing my debit card number

Right, I forgot about the dozens and dozens of threads I've started about scary big companies. Apparently saying "fuck Comcast" and stating an obvious fact about security I exactly equal to the fear mongering that goes on in thread after thread here. You are so right Steve. That's not ridiculous at all

... Troll on theater kid

Right, I forgot about the dozens and dozens of threads I've started about scary big companies. Apparently saying "fuck Comcast" and stating an obvious fact about security I exactly equal to the fear mongering that goes on in thread after thread here. You are so right Steve. That's not ridiculous at all

... Troll on theater kid

Oh shit. You have the same response to all of the other posts: and now you're mad.

WSS

So I assume the electricity to run the modem is miniscule. As far as the security who gives a fuck?

Woody... pretty scary huh? Gee I wonder if I vote for Obama (or Hillary ) they will save us?!

:D

WSS

Electricity to run the modem would not be that big(since you are already using it) but if you are someone who puts a strain on your bandwith(streaming videos\downloading\online gaming) having someone else on your connection could be quite noticeable(and could produce lag). For security usually you are responsible for what happens on your network, I am not certain how this is configured, but I am assuming it is worse security for the people trying to connect(article explaining why http://consumerist.com/2014/06/23/heres-why-you-should-think-twice-about-using-att-or-comcast-wifi-hotspots/).

The biggest thing I don't like is that its on by default and its the responsibility of the homeowner to go into the router and turn it off. Most people do not know how to configure a router, or will not take the time to figure it out and remove it. Comcast is using your house as a free WIFI hotspot connection, that they will then turn around and sell(by offering connect from anywhere).

Archived